Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Cases
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2012 11:23:00 PM

the 12v line can that cause the random crashes ? Temps are fine under , 50c for CPU , under 40c for case temps . Have the 1090t @ 3.7 and getting the crashes that i can't figure out

More about : random crashes hardwaremonitor showing 96v

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 21, 2012 12:01:24 AM

Yes it can cause crashes if the 12 volt rail has that much of a difference but I would take what software readings show as a grain of salt. The proper way to test it is with a DMM (digital multi meter) to get the correct reading. What kinda power supply do you have including the brand ?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 21, 2012 12:32:01 AM

ultra X-3 600watt modular .The PSU seems to be running hot all the time , with nothing doing it has the fan going blowing out lots of hot air
Related resources
a c 199 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 21, 2012 12:59:53 AM

jerry..look at the power supply 12v legs...not the -12v the reg 12v legs. these power the cpu and video card and your drives.
a good set up is to have the 12v legs load at about 50-70 percent of the rated spec stamped on the power supply when the system under max load. if your video card and cpu pulling near the max amps and wattage of the power supply it going to blow hot air out all the time. it not good to run a power supply near it max output. also if you have a small case or very few fans then the power supply going to act as a case fan and pulling hot air out of the case. make sure front fan is pulling cold air in and there one or two fans in the back blowing air out. also make sure that your not over heating the pc by jamming it into these small pc holders on pc desks. (wood ones). that have no kock out for airflow.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 21, 2012 1:28:45 AM

System pulls around 280 watts total at load , 600 watt cpu so when it's doing nothing it should not be pulling more than 180- 200 watts . HAVE 20 80MM FANS PULLING IN AND 2 EXHAUST AND CASE IS IN THE OPEN
December 21, 2012 12:41:10 PM

That PSU seems to have a single 12V rail tapped out at ~430W max. Not being aware of your specifications I can't advise whether it's enough or not, but it doesn't ring any alarm bells at the moment. What does ring alarm bells is that it's running very hot when the system is allegedly idling (I will trust your judgement on the system's power draw, in which case, that PSU should not be running so hot).

Have you got a multimeter? If so, test your 12V rail with that using one of the molex connectors. If your multimeter reads outside 11.5-12.5V, you have a problem with that PSU and you should stop using it immediately. We're talking at least a fully broken PSU in the future, if not a dead computer, and at worse a fire risk.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 21, 2012 2:50:57 PM

SYSTEM IS AMD 1090 T gpu is ati 4650 one 12gb ssd one 1tb samsung 7200 , one WD black 500 gb , usb dvd drive , that's all , would this PSU be enough , even if I replaced the gpu with an TI 7750 ?
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 21, 2012 11:01:43 PM

For it's time the Ultra X3 PSU you have was a good unit so quality is not the problem but I'm going to say that it's pretty old since they were released sometime in 2007 and unfortunately they don't last forever.

That Antec unit you linked to is a nice good quality unit built by Seasonic for Antec and actually Newegg has the warranty listed wrong its a 5 year warranty it has, not the 3 year warranty listed. But here are some more options to consider too.

Seasonic

XFX Core

PC Power & Cooling

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 21, 2012 11:20:02 PM

Think I tracked down the problem , 12 volt rail puts out an even 12.1 volts , hardware monitor is not reading volts properly , maybe it's the board , cheap MSI .
I this possible , wireless USB client , while doing nothing was using 17% of the cpu on a 1090 6 core , changed out the USB client and it now uses 3-6% while working , no crashes since the change . Also the comp would crash often when doing a large wireless file transfer , has not in the last few hours .
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 21, 2012 11:51:30 PM

Orlean said:
For it's time the Ultra X3 PSU you have was a good unit so quality is not the problem but I'm going to say that it's pretty old since they were released sometime in 2007 and unfortunately they don't last forever.

That Antec unit you linked to is a nice good quality unit built by Seasonic for Antec and actually Newegg has the warranty listed wrong its a 5 year warranty it has, not the 3 year warranty listed. But here are some more options to consider too.

Seasonic

XFX Core

PC Power & Cooling

Thanks , between the PCpower and the Antec , which would you say is better ? I like Antec , have one on another comp , rated at 550 but can put out around 650 if needed , great PSU not sure this Antec is as good though , so expert opinion ? PC Power or Antec?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 1:58:36 AM

They are both good units so it comes down to personal preference - both of them are built by Seasonic and both offer a 5 year warranty so it comes down to you making a decision. I'm currently using a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w that I purchased in 2008, it's seen two system builds the one in my sig being the most recent and it's still chugging along, before I decided to reuse it I tested all the rails with a volt meter and they passed with flying colors in addition it still has some warranty left on it ( about 8 months). I have also had experience with Antec years ago, woke up one morning to a burning plastic smell that was coming from the computer hit the power button and it wouldn't turn on turned out the smell was coming from the PSU took the unit out called Antec and explained to them what happened the tech support guys seemed somewhat surprised at the time that it had failed, asked me if I had a volt meter handy and I said yes they had me check a few of the rails and well it turned out to be bad - 3 days later I had a new PSU arrive at my door before even sending in my old one first. So I've had good experiences with both company's.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 1:36:06 PM

Thanks , picked up the Antec , just because I have used them before . The pc power looks god though , maybe next time . Antec HCG 629m was 69.00 at NCIXdot com , good deal all the other places wanted 99.00
!