Sign in with
Your question

H80 vs H100

Last response: in Overclocking
December 21, 2012 1:21:32 AM

H80 vs H100 on this build I am getting in February: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/trRY

Please tell me if you would recommend anything else. However I do not wish to do custom water cooling as I am not good with tubes. :o 

More about : h80 h100

a c 129 K Overclocking
December 21, 2012 2:24:50 AM

Sure you want closed loop water cooling in the first place?
The Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E is cheaper and quieter than the H100 and performs very similarly.

IF you do decide to go for closed loop water cooling I would much rather suggest getting either the H100i or H80i as they ahve far better fans and tubing and a slightly improved CPU cooling block.

How much of an OC are you looking to get?
The H100(i) is simply just better than the H80(i) so its all about whether you find the added money worth it.

Are you also aware that the card you chose is VERY loud... You m ay want to consider rather getting 2 of the HD7970 GHz Ed. It would be faster and cost a similar price.
a b K Overclocking
December 21, 2012 2:42:21 AM

Honestly, don't get a closed-loop water cooler.

I'll give you some reasons why they've bad vs a normal air cooler:

1) They have way more moving parts. This makes them a LOT more likely to break, as they have many more things that can break

2) When they DO break, you're screwed. Unlike a normal cooler, you don't have a giant metal heatsink left if the moving parts do stop moving, so your CPU doesn't have time to downthrottle properly.

3) Should it fail catastrophically, instead of denting your case with a flying plastic bit, it spews liquid everywhere. That's bad.

4) They're noisier than a comparable air cooler, because the fans have to work harder because the heatsink is denser.

5) You get the same cooling performance for CHEAPER by buying a good air cooler - the Silver Arrow or Noctua D14 are both amazing options.

ALSO:
What is the intended use of this computer? If it's for gaming, you're wasting a LOT of money that could be better spent - if it's not for gaming, you're still wasting a LOT of money that could be better spent.

There are a lot of mistakes with this rig, bad brand choices, and overkill in ways that gets you no benefit whatsoever.
Related resources
a c 129 K Overclocking
December 21, 2012 2:58:09 AM

DarkSable said:
Honestly, don't get a closed-loop water cooler.

I'll give you some reasons why they've bad vs a normal air cooler:

1) They have way more moving parts. This makes them a LOT more likely to break, as they have many more things that can break

2) When they DO break, you're screwed. Unlike a normal cooler, you don't have a giant metal heatsink left if the moving parts do stop moving, so your CPU doesn't have time to downthrottle properly.

3) Should it fail catastrophically, instead of denting your case with a flying plastic bit, it spews liquid everywhere. That's bad.

4) They're noisier than a comparable air cooler, because the fans have to work harder because the heatsink is denser.

5) You get the same cooling performance for CHEAPER by buying a good air cooler - the Silver Arrow or Noctua D14 are both amazing options.

ALSO:
What is the intended use of this computer? If it's for gaming, you're wasting a LOT of money that could be better spent - if it's not for gaming, you're still wasting a LOT of money that could be better spent.

There are a lot of mistakes with this rig, bad brand choices, and overkill in ways that gets you no benefit whatsoever.

1. Agreed.

2. Not true. A modern CPU will shut down INSTANTLY when overheated. Damage is HIGHLY unlikely, I have actually tested this on old C2Q system I had and its working to this day after a big OC and sudden removal of a cooler.

3. Semi-true, the liquid is not conductive and will not easily damage components, but the risk is there. "Everywhere" is also quite and exaggeration, the liquid is quite viscus and does not run, its more of an ooze.

4. Agreed but is much improved with the H100i and H80i.

5. Totally true. Atleast for now, i am certain as the tech progresses we will get better prices and better closed loop coolers.

ALSO : Totally agree. Buuuut if he has the cash to splurge I won't be arguing.
December 21, 2012 2:42:17 PM

The H80 and H100 are both great coolers but I would only use them temporarily until you can afford an open loop system. XSPC makes some really affordable kits. You don't get real water cooling temps from closed loop coolers.

As for the build I would either go with two 7970's or two 680s over the one 7990, you'll get better performance for a lower price. With the $100+ you'll be saving you can invest in a starter open loop system. If you are getting an 850W PSU you may as well put it to work otherwise get something lower and save more $$$!

I've had really good luck with my 680s as far as SLI compatibility in games goes and they smoke every game I throw at them even running at 2560X1440. And I'm sure the 7970's would do the same. Plus, SLI/CrossFire'd video cards look way more badass than a single card :) 

Look forward to seeing the build when its done!
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 12:02:23 AM

Lots of misconceptions being tossed around in this thread. I hope no one decides to make any financial decisions based on this info.
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 7:28:37 AM

If your spending that much on a computer why don't you just used custom water cooling?
a c 129 K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 9:43:55 AM

rubix_1011 said:
Lots of misconceptions being tossed around in this thread. I hope no one decides to make any financial decisions based on this info.

Please enlighten us oh powerful moderator... :p 
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 3:01:30 PM

The liquid contained inside closed loop coolers isn't like an 'ooze', it's simply a coolant designed to prevent galvanic corrosion.

These coolers don't explode.

Current CPUs will simply shut down to prevent damage if there isn't adequate cooling.

The majority of the info can be found in the watercooling sticky.
a c 129 K Overclocking
December 23, 2012 7:21:07 AM

rubix_1011 said:
The liquid contained inside closed loop coolers isn't like an 'ooze', it's simply a coolant designed to prevent galvanic corrosion.

These coolers don't explode.

Current CPUs will simply shut down to prevent damage if there isn't adequate cooling.

The majority of the info can be found in the watercooling sticky.

My point was it does not "spray everywhere".
a c 78 K Overclocking
December 23, 2012 7:49:37 AM

@ rubix - a day out with the noobs :lol: 

Honestly all the why, how and what are covered in the watercooling sticky. The *closed-loop-cooler* section was made to address threads like these from springing up and preventing people from answering their opinions based off of no fact whatsoever.

Novuake - it does spray depending on where the leak is situated. Its not thick as you suggested. It was clear at first on their early production runs - now all the closed loop coolers come with the same color coolant as the Swiftech Hydrx stuff.

Back on track with OP,
if you're getting something in Feb 2013, why not wait until Haswell come out of fabs in mid 2013?
If you really must buy a cooler for the sake of buying one, go for a Hyper 212 and you'll be able to move up on your overclocking goals, however if you want some crazy OC's then you'l need some beefy cooling to go with that OC. A closed loop cooler in no manner or form will be good in that respect. + we here at Tom's suggest getting that which are good value for money. If you want overkill cos of ample disposable income -> you can try another forum.

my 2 cents
a c 190 K Overclocking
December 24, 2012 3:32:44 AM

I heard that when a closed loop cooler dies, an angel loses its wings...
But then I read the good book (Sticky) and my fears were laid to rest, hallelujah praise jebus
:-p
So endeth the lesson
Moto
a b K Overclocking
December 24, 2012 3:34:30 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
I heard that when a closed loop cooler dies, an angel loses its wings...
But then I read the good book (Sticky) and my fears were laid to rest, hallelujah praise jebus
:-p
So endeth the lesson
Moto

You need to go to the doctors!
a c 190 K Overclocking
December 24, 2012 3:45:49 AM

Theres no doctor that can cure my sense of humour :-)
Moto
a c 78 K Overclocking
December 24, 2012 3:47:35 AM

:lol:  there's a point right there ^ :lol: 
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 24, 2012 5:33:15 PM

Novuake said:
My point was it does not "spray everywhere".

If you have a pump that is powerful, it most certainly will. Most closed loop coolers will not have this issue, but having a great pump can easily cause a leak that can soak the inside of a case if you do things half way.
a c 129 K Overclocking
December 24, 2012 5:41:03 PM

This is making me want to get a proper water cooler... Time to un-flag this thread before I create A LOT of work and cost for myself...
a c 150 K Overclocking
December 24, 2012 6:57:18 PM

Novuake said:
This is making me want to get a proper water cooler... Time to un-flag this thread before I create A LOT of work and cost for myself...

Jump in the water!
a c 129 K Overclocking
December 24, 2012 7:55:26 PM

amuffin said:
Jump in the water!

I can't swim...
a c 150 K Overclocking
December 24, 2012 11:31:43 PM

Novuake said:
I can't swim...

Spend the money for lessons. ;) 
!