Sign in with
Your question

Reinstalling W7 on 2 Drives

Last response: in Systems
March 1, 2010 4:16:57 AM

Hi all,

I have two hard drives. I am clean installing my OS on one of the drives. I just want to make sure that my other drive will still hold the data that is on it.

Can someone confirm if it will or won't?

More about : reinstalling drives

March 1, 2010 4:19:51 AM

I believe that it would, i can confirm this, is the data from a windows 7 install or another operating system. I know when i switched from windows 7 rc to, professional, that i partitioned my single hard drive, put a backup on the one partition, then installed windows 7 on the other, and the backup was maintained
m
l
March 1, 2010 4:24:01 AM

If you don't tell it to erase that drive, it won't get erased. Just be sure you tell it to use the right drive.

If you are unsure of yourself, unplug the unwanted drive when installing the OS.
m
l
Related resources
March 1, 2010 4:32:56 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated. I'm going from the Windows 7 RC to Win7 Pro. Clean install, as upgrade won't take.

My HD are two diff brands (WD, Seagate) so I know which one to install on - one less thing to worry about!

haha thanks!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2010 4:57:40 AM

Yep, Windows 7 won't touch anything that's not on the drive you tell it to install to. Even if you tell it to install over an existing Windows install, everything goes to a folder called windows.old.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2010 5:48:41 AM

That was something I found kinda annoying. Why not make the RC upgradeable to anything? I know it was an ultimate, but that doesn't make it any less annoying. Especially when my install was only a few months old at that point.
m
l
March 1, 2010 6:05:22 PM

Nice. I noticed when I installed on my 160GB hd, i only had 58 (and some change) disk space left.

Can I delete that windows.old? I backed up everything important on my other drive.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2010 6:20:11 PM

I'm pretty sure it's just there in case you need it. So yeah, you should be able to.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2010 6:21:31 PM

Yep, windows.old is just in case. Once you have what you need, it can go.
m
l
March 2, 2010 5:03:45 AM

You guys rock. Seriously the best forum I've been to.

No BS, and very informative. Thanks.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 2, 2010 5:34:19 AM

Agreed. If your stuff sucks, we'll tell you. If it kicks ass, we'll tell you.
m
l
!