Sign in with
Your question

AA at 2560*1600??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 18, 2010 12:32:26 PM

I'm not exactly sure how AA works, just that it seems to smooth edges, and decreases performance a lot.

I know I've read a couple people say "At 2560*1600 it decreases the need for AA"

My questions are "How does it work", and is it true that you don't really need it at the higher resolution?

I know there are going to be some answers "It's all personal preference and subjective," but I'm looking for a more technical response as I cannot find too much information on it, and I'm sure there are some you of that know a lot more about it than I do.

More about : 2560 1600

February 18, 2010 12:35:44 PM

microterf said:
I'm not exactly sure how AA works, just that it seems to smooth edges, and decreases performance a lot.

I know I've read a couple people say "At 2560*1600 it decreases the need for AA"

My questions are "How does it work", and is it true that you don't really need it at the higher resolution?

I know there are going to be some answers "It's all personal preference and subjective," but I'm looking for a more technical response as I cannot find too much information on it, and I'm sure there are some you of that know a lot more about it than I do.

Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aliasing
m
l
February 19, 2010 3:01:11 AM

I have read that. My question is more whether it's pointless to have AA on at 2560 resolution, or not.
m
l
Related resources
February 19, 2010 3:03:01 AM

Not pointless since you can still get "jaggies".

If you are not bothered by the "jaggies" then turn it off.

It that's simple.
m
l
February 19, 2010 3:19:20 AM

I like figure 3 of that wiki post. That is the kind of thing that happens to me the most for my 1620x1050 screen. The whole notion of not "needing" AA for a higher resolution is that you have allot more pixels to show on the screen and that you will be seated farther back so that "jaggedness" in the top left diamond on figure 3 will be a bit less noticeable, in my opinion. The performance hit from increasing AA might not be worth it at your high resolution, best to try it out and find the perfect balance that you like.

Sid Meier’s Railroads was one game that had lots of figure 3's problems. Only rarely do I find myself with figure 1a problem.
m
l
!