Sign in with
Your question

Which cord to plug?

Last response: in Motherboards
October 19, 2010 5:24:01 AM

Hi.

I have a Asus P7P55D-E Deluxe Motherboard,and a 650 Watt Thermaltake PSU.There were two types of pins on the cord I was supposed to plug between the PSU and the motherboard.One is a 4 pin,one is a 8 pin cord.
The motherboard has actually 8 pins on it,but 4 of them were closed with a removeable cap.

Which one should I use in this case?

Thanks...

More about : cord plug

October 19, 2010 6:21:27 AM

The power connection on the motherboard is there for extra power for the cpu. The eight pin connector with the 4pin cap is for eight pins, but they cap the other four so if your power supply does not have an eight pin connector you know which side to use with the four pin it does have. Your best off removing the cover (remember where it was) and use the eight pin. The thing is, some graphics cards require an eight pin connector too and the connectors for the graphics are not really the same and are designed not to plug into a motherboard eight pin. Usually the power supply connectors are marked as pci-e if they're meant for graphics but the way the plastic is molded, one cannot fit in the other so if the eight will not fit put the plastic cap back and use your four. Actually you only need 8 if the cpu you've installed is of a higher wattage and any lower wattage cpu's will not suffer from just a four pin extra power.
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 1:54:53 PM

^+1 sounds just about right.

4-pins were used in the P4 era, boards nowadays use 8-pin (if not more xP). As long as your power supply supports this 8-pin connection (like App said, don't use a PCIe 8-pin) then use it.
Related resources
a c 156 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 20, 2010 3:08:00 PM

The 8 pin CPU power plug and the 8 pin PCIe power plug are wired differently. Inserting either in the wrong place (you will need to work to do this; the plugs are keyed so you cannot) will short 12 volts directly to ground.

Although it is a great way to test the Output Current Protection function of your PSU, I do not recommend it. :D 
a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2010 5:28:13 PM

jsc said:
The 8 pin CPU power plug and the 8 pin PCIe power plug are wired differently. Inserting either in the wrong place (you will need to work to do this; the plugs are keyed so you cannot) will short 12 volts directly to ground.

Although it is a great way to test the Output Current Protection function of your PSU, I do not recommend it. :D 

"Hey...where does this 8-pin go?" *plugs into motherboard & turns on* *PfffFFFFFTTT!!!!*

"Umm, why is it on fire? T-T"

I can only imagine lol
!