Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is This Drive Dead or am I Just Being Stupid

Last response: in Storage
March 15, 2012 3:27:04 AM

I have had some problems with my Western Digital Black 1tb hard drive. I don't know if I can repair the drive or if it is a gonner. The drive began to have problems loading windows. I thought that Windows was just corrupted, and transferred all the data onto a spare hdd. I then tried to set up a raid 1 with that drive and another 1 tb drive I had. When I installed Windows 7 to the raid, it would not boot it's first time. I re-installed to the raid several more times with no luck.

I finally gave up, and installed windows 7 to just the new drive. Windows works fine so far, but when I connected the possibly damaged drive, it would show up in device manager, but not in My Computer, or Disk Management.

Is this a problem with the drive, or the OS, and can it be fixed?

More about : drive dead stupid

Best solution

March 15, 2012 4:00:25 AM

What was the "other 1tb HDD" that you used with the wd black?

HDDs used for RAID setup should have the same specs and model to avoid inconsistencies in between.
a b G Storage
March 15, 2012 5:54:25 AM

Try connecting the drive externally and formatting it.
If you have any trouble doing that try using a disk partitioning utility.
Related resources
March 15, 2012 3:45:09 PM

masterjaw: It is a Seagate drive. I thought I could do a RAID 1 with drives that were not exactly the same.

ngrego: I have formatted it with the windows 7 install disk. Is this what you meant?
March 15, 2012 3:52:20 PM

What does SMART have to say about this drive?
March 15, 2012 4:43:01 PM

SMART says the drive is good, but windows seems to be having problems with the drive. I don't know if it is just a bad driver or drive controller, or if the drive is going bad.
March 15, 2012 5:09:18 PM

Ok. Windows finally decided to let the drive work. It just appeared in Disk management. I formatted the drive, and it seems to be working fine. I'll keep my eye on it though.

Can/should I set up a raid 1 with this drive and the seagate one? Is it possible to do it without wiping the drive? I just spent a couple hours installing updates.
March 19, 2012 2:18:02 AM

Best answer selected by bomber916.
a b G Storage
March 19, 2012 9:15:35 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
!