Trying to boot from XP Drive, Need help with Error.

SecretCobraz

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
So here is the story; My Farther had an old Pentium 4 Sony Vaio that he used mainly for work and as his main computer. About a year ago, his PSU Blew, taking out both of his RAID 1 Drives (Oh the Irony). The PSU was a very expensive and hard to find Proprietary Sony PSU and was not worth replacing since we do not know the extent of the damage to the system.

However we were able to save the data and transfer it to another drive. It's an older 250GB Drive but still takes regular Sata Cables. I tried to boot from my rig and I get the same problem every time. I was able to access some data through my Win 7 1TB by Manually going through the drive's contents, but there are several expensive programs as well as iTunes data that we need access to.

OxtHp.jpg

This is what I get when I try to boot from my system, My system is about 4 years old, running a Core2Quad and a 9800GTX.

I do have a similar system from around the same time that is functional and I might try to boot the drive through that system at some point. If you guys have any information on how to bypass this error and boot successively please let me know.

Some additional information:
The system is (or was) running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

It is a Sony VAIO VGC-RA842G http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=VGCRA842G

The system was originally set-up to run in a RAID 1 Configuration but I don't know if that would effect booting from a single drive.

Also here is a picture of the Internals of the system, the PSU since removed.
Q8mnZ.jpg

SecretCobraz

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

Reading through there is only 1 option to try since I can't boot into the OS itself.

With Method 4, I am downloading the Image for the OS's Install disc, burning that, and then access the recovery console, and input the commands. Wish me Luck.

EDIT: Could never get the System to Boot From DVD, still have same problem. I might try cloning the drive to an extra 500GB I have out of desperation.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
If your RAID array is missing a disk it will not boot. You should be able to enter a RAID utility during boot. You have to install a second disk to your system, enter the RAID utility and add the second disk to the RAID 1 array. This way the system will see that the array is intact and (if you're lucky) attempt to repair it.

If you are trying to boot your pc from the disk you backed up (250GB), I'm afraid it's not going to happen. An OS installed on a disk needs to find the hardware that was on the machine it was installed on. If it doesn't it just wont boot, even if you do get past this first obstacle you will not get windows to load.

To access the data on the disk, your best chance is to connect the disk externally.

SecretCobraz

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

I am trying to boot from the 250GB Drive.
The Problem is some data can't be accessed or recovered unless I am able to boot into Windows, specifically expensive programs and iTunes which I have found no way to back up with raw file data.

Like I said the PSU that blew was proprietary, and it is very expensive. On top of that I have no idea if anything else was damaged.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
You will never get that drive to boot an another setup. You must have at least the same mobo on both pcs for a chance to get something done.

What you can do though is just pick up a PSU (>=360Watt) from your local Hardware dealer and install it on your VAIO. There is no need to pay an arm and a leg for a PSU from Sony!

SecretCobraz

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

There are proprietary Sony hook-ups and cables that will ONLY work with this specific Sony PSU Unfortunately. So there is no way to start up the system without out, unless I do heavy modding re-wiring and I may damage the system.

On top of that we don't know if the system is functional in the first place.