Need to cool my system

Hi guys, I have pretty good specs but my case is the most generic junk ever and now that summer hit - my GPU goes to 87 degrees (celsius) and even more.
I need a badass case for my specs:

Mobo: Asus HD/HDMI (nForce 750a SLI)
CPU: AMD Phenom (X4) 9550
GFX Card: Geforce 9800 GT by Zotec (256 bit cache, 512 MB GDDR3)
DDR: OCZ PC2 6400 (400Mhz) 2x2GB (4GB DDR2 in total)
PSU: Jewel 550W - SP-ATX-550WTN-1R

Budget? 200 USD tops.

-EDIT-
My GPU when just in Windows doing nothing:
69 Celsius
Fan at 75%

Thanks!
47 answers Last reply
More about need cool system
  1. Umm I think you didn't understand, I don't want a new GFX card.
    I just want something to cool down this one :D
  2. Or, if you don't want a new card, one of the the antec 300s sounds good. This one has 4 fans and some good rebates on it right now;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066
    I had the exact same problem; after a bunch of looking I decided on the coolermaster storm scout, and it has kept my computer very nice and cool. The carrying handle is a big plus for me.
  3. Your main problem is the card not the case. You need to reapply the thermal paste and this maybe that will solve your problem.

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/392860-how-gpu-reapply-thermal-paste.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLgG9EKkMFI

If not, you might consider an aftermarket cooler like this one:

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_&mID=101&language=en
  4. If you want to cool your system well, even in summer. I'd recommend getting a thermal paste such as Artic Silver MX or 5. Next i'd buy a aftermarket GPU cooler, there are tons of them. Take off the cards cooler and heatsink, wash the thermal paste off that comes with it and put the other aftermarket thermal paste on it aswell as the cooler. After Market videocard coolers often make a huge difference aswell as thermal paste, seriously, you will be impressed. Just don't go super cheap, spend a reasonable amount for quality. Next, get a nice case like an Antec 1200 or Cooler Master HAF series cases. Something big with lots of big fans. The next thing you can do is slighly underclock your card a bit, it can make a big temperature difference. You can also installed a PCI-Slot cooling fan below your GPU so it sucks hot air out of the grills. Try opening the case's side panel, it can allow cooler air inside which can help sometimes a lot depending on the case. If you want to cool other components like the CPU, and motherboard chips, same goes for them, after market cooler and thermal paste.
  5. Thanks for helping guys. Read carefully and I have a few more questions

1. Should I really open my 9800GT and apply the paste? I have done it a lot of times with my CPUs but openning a GFX card? Really? Isn't it a little too dangerous?
    2. I have long wanted the "hundred" series antec cases now I can't decide which one to get.
    Best one I have the money for is the Nine Hundred Two. Won't the 300 do the job?
    3. I don't have super hot specs and I have an amazing fan for my CPU, I should get a long fine without a GPU cooler right?
  6. 1. I have never done a gfx, but I have done a northbridge. I would feel much better with a cool card. If the sink is attached with plastic tabs which you have to compress with pliers, just be careful not to scratch the traces.

2. The three hundred looks fine if you are willing to risk faulty usb ports (the most common issue in the newegg reviews)

3. I don't think you will need a gpu cooler once you take the other steps. Maybe take the slot cover by its fan out though, to let some air exhaust.

Also, make sure that warm air has somewhere to go once it's out of the case (even if it is so nice and warm under your desk in the winter :) )
  7. Well before you do anything, change the case. Antec 1200 is 169.99 right now on newegg, your budget tops is 200 you said. The HAF 932 is the 1200's competitor, they are about equal but suite different tastes, both are top guns. I have the HAF 932 its very good....its damn good. Anyway after the case change, if things still aren't cool then look into modding the GPU coolers, and no its dangerous if you do it right and with care.
  8. 1. Ok then, changing the GPU paste sounds better but I will first try to change the case and see the results and if then I won't have a choice I'll put some new paste.

2. I have decieded to go for the higher cases cause if I'm gonna buy a case I want it to be good for my next computer so I won't have to buy another in the next 5 years.

So, it's either 1200 or HAF 932 and I have the next question for you guys:

I like the 1200 better for no reason, just a gut feeling I guess but it costs like 50$ more then the HAF 932. Any big pros and cons for either? Cause I'll pay the extra 50$ if there is a good reason.
    I am surely going to read in Google about the 2, but anything specific you guys know about them?

I really appreciate the help, thanks guys :)
  9. the 1200 has some custom power supplies made for it at rock bottom prices but they are very high quality

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371036

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371024
  10. Neah I have a good power supply of 400W so I'm good.
    Unless the fans of a case require some more juice?
    I don't think that case fans require enough juice for my system to feel anything right?
  11. i would go with the antec.why?
    a. it can fit antec's special psus in it. they are priced very well, and are of good quality. however, they are propritary and will only fit into a fewantec cases. the 1200 isone of them.
    b. i liky antec!

also, what psu do u have?
  12. My PSU:
    http://www.spirecoolers.com/main/product_detail.asp?ProdID=697

The only thing is that my model says 1R in the end, not PFC. I'm pretty sure it's the same one.

I can't wast 100$ more because you like Antec more :) The HAF932 is a lot cheaper for me...

Anyone else? HAF 932 or Antec 1200?
  13. I like Both cases...its like BMW and Mercedes...both are about equal but have some pro's and con's which makes peoples personal taste take which one they want. I'll do some comparisons for you. The HAF 932 has a larger volume of space than the Antec 1200, the HAF has 4392.45 cubic inches, the 1200 has 3885.672. The Antec 1200 has less cooling than the HAF 932 when its bought. The HAF comes with 830mm worth of fans while the antec comes with 800mm of fans. Both are good, they look good...etc. Pick whichever one suites your taste.
  14. Thanks a lot blackhawk.
    So you mean I should just run a comparison and choose one :D
    Thanks man :)
  15. Yeah, just compare how they look, how they are assembled, how they look inside and choose which one suites your personal taste...these cases are both very good so you can't go wrong with either. Choose which one "floats your boat" so to speak :).
  16. And compare that to the diff. in price cause for some reason there a very big difference here between the 2 (I live in Israel).
  17. Oh, almost forgot, would something a little more modest fit my needs?
    Antec 900 for example?
  18. Yes ofcourse, the 900 is a very good case, its mid tower though but still should be plentiful.
  19. Hell sorry for driving you crazy, but the more I read about the two, the more I see people kill the 1200 and hug the haf 932!
    Not finished reading yet, but it looks like I'm getting the 932, not to mention that it's much cheaper.
  20. Just saw some weird remark about cable management and I don't understnad it..
    Help me settle this - which of the 2 has better cable management.?
  21. A lot of ppl say the Haf has 'good cable management', but tbh, cable management is what YOU make it, you make good c.m. or not, regardless of the case you have
  22. Got it...
    Turns out I'm not the only one ending up not able to decide between the 2.
    I think there are about the same and the HAF has more overall pros.

The only thing I see that goes for the 1200 is the ability to cool just a tiny more.
    Everything else says HAF is better - especially price.
  23. With good C.M., some thought into fan placement and airflow around the pc, youll easily overcome the small advantage one has over the other, making it your choice over which you think is the shinier case
  24. Well HAF definitely excels in cable management...It has good cooling also and you can modify it so you can install many more fans in many different configurations. HAF is like the linux of cases, highly customizable.
  25. That's what I think as well.
    Not that hatd to decide now, here's how I draw the picture:

Beauty: Don't care.
    Performance: Both are the same.
    Cable Managemaent: HAF is slightly better.
    User Friendly: HAF is a lot better (This is very important for me, and the HAF has a CLEAR AND BIG advantege here).
    Price: HAF is better.
    Room and Water Cooling friendly: HAF is better.
    Customization (fan placement and amount): Clearly the HAF is better
    Build Quality: Antec is better.

The only thing better in the Antec (for me of course) is it's build quality and it's a shame but the rest just beats the hell outta the Antec. Only the price diff. is a major factor for me, Antec being more expensive by like 65$ US.

Thanks a lot guys, HAF 932 is my case :D
  26. You will love it :) I have an HAF 932 sitting besides me next to my legs and its a hell of a case.
  27. Got my HAF 932 up and running :D Happy as a horse but my GPU is still and 90 degrees and still studders every couple of secs when playing a game :(

Here are some pics:
    http://img32.imageshack.us/i/bfuq.jpg/
    http://img100.imageshack.us/i/64686278.jpg/
    http://img175.imageshack.us/i/fcu.jpg/
    http://img687.imageshack.us/i/37276868.jpg/

Any suggestions?
  28. Did you re-do the heatsink?
  29. No, but I don't think I can open it, just remove it.
    Can't I ?
  30. From what I can see in the pictures, you will need to remove the screws on the back of the card to remove the heatsink. Then, re-apply past like normal and screw in again.
  31. BRB thanks.
  32. The heatsink is COMPLETELY clogged with dust.
    I managed to blow some chunks of dust out, liturally chunks!

The temps dropped and by a lot!
    I'm idling around 50 now and playing around 70 - massive improvement.

The thing is I know that there is a lot more dust in there and there is no way to open the heatsink.
    Is there a tool to blow stuff outta there? cause the spaces are really tiny - it's like a beehive, a pattern or a lot of little spaces...
  33. Wow, that's nasty. I blew up a friend's old I think it was 5600 because it got clogged with dust. I would try an sir compressor, maybe in along the sides so it comes up through the holes. Or if you have some thermal paste you could take the whole thing off (yes, that again) and poke the clods out with a pencil or something.
  34. WHAT? DUST IS THE FIRST THING YOU NEED TO CLEAN AND EXAMINE BEFORE LOOKING AT TEMPERATURES! Anyway, what i do is a get my big old compressor out in the garage and blow into the parts but the pressure is quite high. I'd buy compressed air from the store with a long narrow tube, get that tube inside there and empty the whole can in all the little cracks you can find. Secondly, I heard somewhere where cards with the 1slot cooler instead of the two slot were running much hotter originally. Not sure if this is really true, just heard it. And when you are playing, 70C is perfectly fine. However if you can get it cooler, the better. And install a PCI-E fan, it helps greatly, can reduce temps by 5-10C easily depending on the type of fan.
  35. Personally I use the household vacuum on mine every month just to clear dust and crap out, But after looking at your pics, I'd say.....
    Tidy up your cables as much as possible, tape em up, cut holes in your mobo tray, whatever it takes to minimise the wires disrupting airflow, your C.M. is ok, but could be slightly better :P
    120mm fan could go on the back of your mobo over the cpu, blowing in imo, assuming you can get the side panel on over it ofc.
    and theres a mesh by the psu at the bottom for another one, use that to pull air into the case.
    And I agree with Blackhawk, Pcie slotfans are awesome mine cost me £2 each, you have space for some so stick one in there, one slotspace away from gfx card imo, not right next to it.
    And get used to cleaning it out regularly, like Bikes and cars, pcs need love and attention to perform :P
  36. elel said:
    ... Or if you have some thermal paste you could take the whole thing off (yes, that again) and poke the clods out with a pencil or something.

A pencil is too big, it won't fit inside the little heatsink holes.

blackhawk1928 said:
    WHAT? DUST IS THE FIRST THING YOU NEED TO CLEAN AND EXAMINE BEFORE LOOKING AT TEMPERATURES!

I know, and I cleaned it up before I even started this thread. I was sure the GFX card and my entire system were dust free - I didn't see all that dust inside the heatsink - stupid design...!

blackhawk1928 said:
    Anyway, what i do is a get my big old compressor out in the garage and blow into the parts but the pressure is quite high. I'd buy compressed air from the store with a long narrow tube, get that tube inside there and empty the whole can in all the little cracks you can find.

That's what I wanna do, also we have a very powerfull vacum cleaner (Kirby) that can also blow air OUT and does have a little nozle. Say I use that, any way to check that I have cleaned all the dust and that the GFX is dust free?

blackhawk1928 said:
    However if you can get it cooler, the better. And install a PCI-E fan, it helps greatly, can reduce temps by 5-10C easily depending on the type of fan.

Don't have the money to buy anything like that cause I don't wanna buy anything cheap and noisy.

Anonymous said:
    Personally I use the household vacuum on mine every month just to clear dust and crap out

Me two, and I was sure I got everything out.
  37. My slotfans are quite quiet, and they dropped my gfx card temps a couple of degrees, and theyre just cheapie ebay jobs :)
  38. broshm said:
    Say I use that, any way to check that I have cleaned all the dust and that the GFX is dust free?

I don't think that any of us has the same cooler design as you, so you might have to use your own ingenuity.
  39. Yeah I think I'm gonna buy some compressed air and blow the hell outta that heatsink.
  40. onw wordof caution: apparently vacuuming inside the copmuter creates lots of static...
    thhats just what i head
    but is still do it all the time and have never had a problem :)
  41. Well here is the list of changes and the outcome:

1. Bought a HAF 932 insted of my 20USD crappy case.
    2. Re-applied paste to the GPU and ran compressed air through the entire heatsink and a lot of it.
    3. Some cable management and closed the case (my old one was always open).

Outcome:

1. HAF 932 is an amazing case, and VERY surprisingly quiet, bairly hear it.
    2. GPU is idling around 55 degrees at 38% fan, playing at around 75-80 degrees all in a hot summer room.
    Just for the comparison, here is what I had 2 days ago:
    Idling around 70 degrees at 75% fan, playing at up to 95 degress in an air-conditioned room.
    3. Finally I have a nice clean look to the room and not a bunch of wires dangling.
    In terms of performance my closed HAF 932 is exactly like my open crappy case, which is amazing.

HAF 932 rocks!

Thanks all for helping! Especially blackhawk1928 & Motopsychojdn.

PS
    It's a lot more inconspicuous then it looks online. I was afraid it will look "toyish" or 1337 but it's right there in the milddle - looks great.
  42. np man, youll notice it is quieter cause the case is shut up as well, take the side off and you hear the difference in noise, glad your happy with your new case and cooler temps :)
  43. Also, speaking of Dust, I don't know, you probably have a lot of dust in your area so what I would suggest is keeping a Positive Air pressure inside of your case. Most people have negative air pressure, the Exhaust fans are the workhorses of the cooling and extract the hot air out. This causes negative pressure in your case which means more dust gets in. If you make a positive air pressure, then dust will not get in as easily. It will make cooling a tiny bit worse thought, however you won't have to worry about cleaning it as often. You need to make your intake fans go faster then your Exhuast Fans. In addition, to best clean your card out with the compressed air, try and get your card to an extremely dry envirnment, very low humidity so dust inside isn't sticking to anything so its easier to get it out.
  44. Pos or Neg I won't get into that - too complicated, I got what I wanted and that's a cool place for my system.
    In terms of humidity, we have the AC on a lot which means cold and very dry air.

Any more advice is welcome :) Even if you see a better way for my CM would be nice to hear.
  45. I'll just point out that dry air makes for static electricity, so be doubly sure to ground yourself before working on the system.
  46. ^Oh yes, thank you for mentioning, very true. If you are in a dry envirnment, make sure your body is grounded fully and be careful.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product