Intel i7 920 Overclock with 6x2Gb (12Gb) RAM

Hello!
I have some experience in overclocking, but apparently not enough.
recently I bought myself more ram, another 3 x 2Gb set to increase my total ram to 12Gb

I noticed and wasn't aware that after installing new hardware, the clock settings would go *badabum*. Before the new RAM I had a nice and steady 3,99Ghz clock on my CPU.

I was wondering if anyone could help me getting my CPU clock higher. I tried to get my clock back to 3,99Ghz, trying different voltages etc., then 3,8Ghz and gave up trying. Got some info that overclocking with 6 sticks is difficult.

Specs:
MoBo: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P ver. F12
CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 2,66GHz
RAM: 6x2Gb Corsair 1600Mhz CL9

What kind of a clock speed would be possible?
And how to achieve a higher clock speed?

Thanks in advance!
5 answers Last reply
More about intel overclock 6x2gb 12gb
  1. your overclocking is becoming difficult because with more ram sticks you need to increase voltage on ram to keep it stable
  2. alvine said:
    your overclocking is becoming difficult because with more ram sticks you need to increase voltage on ram to keep it stable
    Yes, I have tried it going step by step all the way to 1,72V. I don't dare to go higher than that.
  3. well the amount of ram sticks you got is the limiting factor, you could sell your existing ram and get more dense ram sticks to limit it to 3 ram sticks
  4. So is there anyone with experience overclocking with 6 RAM sticks?
  5. I've successfully overclocked my 920 to 4GHz using 6 sticks of 4gb Corsair Vengeance as per my sig
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking RAM