Sign in with
Your question

Windows sees 2gb RAM, CPU-z sees 3gb.

Last response: in Motherboards
October 19, 2010 8:17:22 AM

Hello, Recently upgraded my CPU from athlon 64 3700+ to Athlon FX55.
Motherboard is Asus 8Vdeluxe (rev 1.xx)
With the 3700+ (which I believe only supports single channel memory) the full 3gb (2 x 1gb sticks & 2 matched 512mb sticks, all PC3200) installed showed correctly in the bios and My computer/properties, and cpu-z as running single channel.

Installed the FX55, nothing else changed, and the bios and my computer/properties both show 2gb, while cpu-z correctly reports the 3gb as running dual channel.

I've tried every possible combination of ram size/slots/channels, with very varied reported sizes - cpu-z is always accurate in what it reports, but the bios is inconsitent.

The only thing I can see that may be causing this is that one of the 1GB sticks is generic and shows 3 JEDEC frequencies, whereas the other 3 all just show the 200mhz

I've tried lots of different settings in the bios (version 1018.002)but nothing seems to make a difference. Machine runs very well and quite a bit faster, but I'm starting to see page file usage & delays, and I'd like the full 3gb to be used.

OS is XP pro SP2.

Any ideas will be gratefully received.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 150 à CPUs
a c 221 V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 12:51:11 PM

You most likely just need to update your BIOS to the most current version. That process should take care of the BIOS reporting issue. This happens from time to time with CPU upgrades as vendors add new models to the BIOS from time to time. Good luck!
October 19, 2010 3:16:50 PM

COLGeek said:
You most likely just need to update your BIOS to the most current version. That process should take care of the BIOS reporting issue. This happens from time to time with CPU upgrades as vendors add new models to the BIOS from time to time. Good luck!

Thanks colgeek, but it's already the most recent version.
Related resources
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 3:33:22 PM

If you're mixing SS with DS RAM then my assumption that is your problem.
October 19, 2010 4:00:30 PM

If SS means single sided and DS is double sided, then it's all double sided.

Further detail - 1gb stick each in slot in slots A1 & B1 (This shows up in belarc which takes the info from the bios, and is correctly reported in CPUz, running dual channel).

The 2 matched 512s are in slots A2 & B2 and are correctly reported in CPUz, but effectively ignored in the bios (and in belarc).

When I then replaced the 2 x 1Gb sticks with unmatched 512s and bios correctly shows 2gb, also correctly reported in CPUz, running dual channel . . .

Any further clues here?

(Thanks for your time by the way.)

A
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 4:51:08 PM

{ASUS site is too slow now; I did look at your manual earlier}

IF A1/B1 is "Blue/matching colors" then keep the matching RAM as dual channel. Often small/old 512 MB RAM is SS.

Also, I assume that you BIOS version supports Athlon FX55; it does support dual channel - http://www.3dvelocity.com/reviews/fx554000/fx55.htm

Next, there are many additional problems from Incompatible RAM {Type, Speed, CAS timings, Voltage, Memory Mapping, H/W reserved, etc} that can render the same problem.

You need to look in your BIOS to verify that the proper RAM is being mapped. Also, to check the RAM pull the 512 -> check and then swap with 1 GB and check again.

Post both sets of RAM part-numbers and/or links.
October 19, 2010 7:07:36 PM

Hi Jaquith - thanks for the input. Yes A1/B1 are the blue slots. CPUz results are attached for current setup, will re-arrange the ram and update the images.

Currently the bios and windows shows 2GB.

A
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 7:50:54 PM

Reposting your images:

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 150 à CPUs
a c 221 V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 8:13:30 PM

I used to have one of these boards (I now remember) and it was a pain when all 4 memory slots were used (VIA chipset limitations). As I recall, to get all 4 slots to work properly, you had to drop the memory speed back to 333mhz levels, vice the 400mhz speed supported by the DDR memory itself.

As an operator, you should see virtually no difference in performance. Give it a shot and see what happens.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 8:17:10 PM

The memory controller on the S939 3700+ should support dual channel just fine. The S754 version was the one that was single channel. Anyway, your RAM worked fine previously because you ran it in single channel but the mixed RAM may just be giving you issues in dual channel. Set it to single channel in the BIOS and see if that doesn't take care of it.
October 19, 2010 8:56:33 PM

Hmmm - thanks for the thoughts,

1) I pulled the 2 sticks of 512, leaving 2 x 1gb in A1/B1, and the bios showed 1Gb remaining. CPUz as usual was correct.

Belarc however showed this:-

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

@COLGeek I tried winding the memory speed back to 333 (and 266) - no effect unfortunately.

I'll have another look in the bios to see if it will switch to single channel.

Thanks again all. (My brains starting to hurt now)

A
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 150 à CPUs
a c 221 V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 9:02:30 PM

It may be that your mobo is ready to be retired. BTW, if you put the 3700+ back in and your memory read correctly, I would suspect a problem with the FX55's on-board memory controller. Have you tried that?
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 10:07:51 PM

Per manual:

For dual-channel configuration (3), you may:
• install identical DIMMs in all four sockets
or
• install identical DIMM pair in DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1 (blue sockets)

The ALL four is what caught my eye.
October 19, 2010 10:52:47 PM

Well - I rummaged around in the bios but could find no way of switching dual channel on (or off).

So without changing anything else, I replaced the FX55 with the 3700+. Windows immediately saw the whole 3gb but in single channel only.

It seems that the CPU/MoBo auto detects and configures memory channels as appropriate.

@COLGeek - you may well be right about the FX memory controller.

This leaves me with the choice of a fast CPU and less DC RAM, or a slower Cpu and more SC RAM.

Or getting another 1gb matching stick . . . (but jacuiths 'all four' would suggest this might be a no go)

Might try overclocking the 3700+ . . .

Thanks for the help guys!

A
October 20, 2010 7:48:24 AM

try checking if you have installed the ram modules properly
October 20, 2010 11:19:41 AM

The ram sticks have been in & out so many times the contacts are in danger of wearing away! But yes, they've been cleaned with alcohol and the slots have also been cleaned, also as CPUz accurately reports all the changes & specs, I don't think that's the problem.

Currently using the FX55 with 2gb.

A
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 20, 2010 12:57:47 PM

^ As I mentioned - "• install identical DIMMs in all four sockets" ; to be clear "normally" the manual will ONLY state that each PAIR be identical, and NOT "identical DIMMs in all four sockets"

This is a distinction that dances around ALL of the aforementioned issues, and the statement is NOT typical.

Whereas from a different MOBO:
"When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used for optimum performance. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, be sure to install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 sockets."

Summary, what this tells or suggests to "me" is that your BIOS cannot adjust to DIFFERENT RAM per channel whereas most MOBO have this ability - for the most part. Voltage and Speed is the "most part," and where these disparities exist the correction(s) require the use of the "worst" Speed, CAS, and average Voltage to work.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 150 à CPUs
a c 221 V Motherboard
October 20, 2010 1:30:19 PM

jaquith said:
^ As I mentioned - "• install identical DIMMs in all four sockets" ; to be clear "normally" the manual will ONLY state that each PAIR be identical, and NOT "identical DIMMs in all four sockets"

This is a distinction that dances around ALL of the aforementioned issues, and the statement is NOT typical.

Whereas from a different MOBO:
"When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used for optimum performance. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, be sure to install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 sockets."

Summary, what this tells or suggests to "me" is that your BIOS cannot adjust to DIFFERENT RAM per channel whereas most MOBO have this ability - for the most part. Voltage and Speed is the "most part," and where these disparities exist the correction(s) require the use of the "worst" Speed, CAS, and average Voltage to work.

I saw the same caveat in the manual, but I wonder if it is a red herring. Since the 3700+ "sees" all 3 GB and the FX55 only "sees" 2GB, I would suspect that the on-board memory controller on the FX55 is defective. Not sure where the OP procured the FX55, but those CPUs ran hot and were often abused by users trying to OC them.

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 20, 2010 1:51:35 PM

^It's a "Sheriff Carter" Regular Man Logic {Eureka}; it explains the problem. It too explains the irregularities that you are pointing-out. However, I too posted a link showing that it does "work."

Am I 100% certain -> NO ; is it a reasonable Explanation/"Caveat" -> YES.

In addition, "Mix-Matching" RAM by itself IS a proven problem. I've seen different runs of the SAME Part-Number in a Hexa Channel,when randomly "mixed" fail. The solution was to sort by serial number and sort by Tri Channel {sets}. RAM & BIOS is a fickle set of problems.
October 20, 2010 3:15:44 PM

I got the FX55 very cheap as the previous owner said:-

"For some reason, this chip only runs single channel.

It has only run single channel from when it was brand new,
and was still very fast.

This indicates a fault with the on board memory controller."

Now as it is currently running dual channel that is not entirely correct, but I will try and find out what Mobo/RAM it was used with, the faulty mem controller is looking likely, albeit manifesting itself in a different way.

I'm looking at getting another FX55 to confirm it one way or another.

A
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 150 à CPUs
a c 221 V Motherboard
October 20, 2010 3:56:40 PM

jaquith said:
Don't take my word, take AMD's word {see page 3} - http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/43838D_Selection_Guide....

Memory Interface = Dual 64 NON ECC DDR2-667, Unbuffered

There's your undisputed Answer!

Not sure what you are looking at. The FX55 is not listed in the attachment you referenced and it was NEVER a DDR2 based CPU. The FX55 was the "pinnacle" of the old Socket 939 CPUs and is a DDR based design. What point are you trying to make?
October 20, 2010 4:10:14 PM

Thank goodness it wasn't just me :??: 

A
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 150 à CPUs
a c 221 V Motherboard
October 20, 2010 4:18:47 PM

odyssey_60 said:
Thank goodness it wasn't just me :??: 

A

Its all good. I admit that I am a slow, dull child and I am easily confused, but.......

Here are the basic specs for the FX-55. Came from a solid line of S939 CPUs. Had several and they were great at the time. I even had a couple of the dual-core Opterons for S939 (nephew still games with one). Good stuff.

AMD ATHLON 64 FX55 TECH SPECS:

L1 Cache Size: 64KB data + 64KB instruction = 128KB Total
L2 Cache Size: 1MB (exclusive)
CPU Core Frequency: 2.60GHz
CPU to Memory Controller: 2.60GHz
Memory: Integrated 128-bit wide memory controller
Types of Memory: PC1600, PC2100, PC2700 and PC3200 DDR memory
HyperTransport Links: 1
HyperTransport Spec: 2GHz (2x 1000MHz / DDR)
Effective data bandwidth: Up to 14.4 GB/sec (8GB/sec
HyperTransport bandwidth plus 6.4GB/sec memory bandwidth)
Packaging: 939-pin organic micro-PGA
Fab location: AMD's Fab 30 wafer fabrication facility in Dresden, Germany
Process Technology: 130nm (.13-micron) Silicon on Insulator (SOI)
Approximate Transistor count: 105.9 million
Approximate Die Size: 193mm2
Nominal Voltage: 1.50 V
Max Ambient Case Temp: 63 degrees Celsius
Max Thermal Power: 104 W
Max Icc (processor current): 80A

October 20, 2010 5:18:10 PM

Quote:
they were great at the time.
a bit like me :D 

A bit of background - I'm not an 'early adopter' by any means, I wait until the stuff's de-bugged, proven and a lot cheaper. I know it's old technology but it works beautifully for what I do - professional graphic design. 4 or 5 apps running simultaneously.

I'm still on XP pro SP2 because Adobe CS4 suite has 'issues' with SP3.

I'm still using S939 Mobo as it's AGP and I've got a hugely expensive AGP quad head video card that runs my three 19" colour calibrated monitors.

It's a very stable system that is hibernated every night, virus scanned weekly, rebooted & defragged monthly, with the OS on it's own drive, all apps on another and user files on a third. Ghost images of each drive and user files backed up on an external drive.

(you've probably guessed that I've had a disastrous hard drive failure - years ago in Win 98)

It hasn't crashed or frozen for over a year (touching all wood handy).

I never play games.

I thought a little extra processor grunt would speed up photoshop when it's cogitating on large image files - hence the FX55, although the 3700+ has worked very well for over a year. Tried a 3800 x2 but it wouldn't run stably. Went back to the 3700+.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Alastair
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 150 à CPUs
a c 221 V Motherboard
October 20, 2010 8:25:26 PM

jaquith said:
^ Get off your rear and search AMD & PROVE IT! The ONLY difference is the FX is unlocked and otherwise identical to the Athlon 64 4000+ series. I noted the {Athlon 64 3700+}.

BOTH {Athlon 64 3700+ & Athlon 64 FX55} SUPPORT DUAL CHANNEL MEMORY CONTROLLERS!

ALL documents prove you're incorrect - http://search.amd.com/US/_layouts/search/search.aspx?cs...

http://support.amd.com/us/Embedded_TechDocs/30579_3_74....

jaquith you are on some other point, my friend. The issue was never one of supporting dual channel configurations. Read the entire posting. The OP has a memory recognition issue. I think this discussion, for all intensive purposes, is over.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 20, 2010 8:36:25 PM

^ My friend it is in part the OP + the "stuff" {lets call it that} that you posted which, nicely said id incorrect. And your subsequent "stuff" arguing against what I'm pulling from AMD.

If you want your errors to disappear then edit your posts.

This post is all about mix-matching RAM which I see 10~20/day.
October 20, 2010 9:28:04 PM

Sorry - didn't mean to start an argument - :( 

To go right back to the beginning, I was told that the 3700+ might only support single channel, and the evidence suggested that was correct.

But reading through all the thread again, it seems to me that the problem comes down to:-
1) the mismatch in size/type of memory might preclude dual channel operation given the slightly 'ambiguous' wording in the manual, or

2) a faulty memory controller on the FX55, (certainly possible given the history) which might also preclude dual channel operation if the motherboard will support mismatches in size/type of memory.

Ultimately it's down to me to try either matching the memory or trying another FX55, of course you could both be correct - a faulty CPU and mismatched RAM!

Depends which happens first, but I'll come back and let you know, now please kiss and make up. :love: 

Many thanks for your help and suggestions.

A
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 20, 2010 9:40:39 PM

^ I'm fine :) , I did see links out there incorrectly suggesting the 3700+ {single channel}, and I don't want another one floating out there that was incorrect; so when in doubt goto Intel or AMD in this case and verify which I did.

Posts are often wrong, so lets' try to make this one useful for others. I preach Best Practices; so if it were me {2 x 1gb sticks} X2. If it fails then RMA the sticks. Otherwise Windows 32-bit works fine on 2GB.

Memory Interface = Dual http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/43838D_Selection_Guide....

Good Luck!
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 150 à CPUs
a c 221 V Motherboard
October 21, 2010 12:45:39 AM

odyssey_60 said:
Sorry - didn't mean to start an argument - :( 

To go right back to the beginning, I was told that the 3700+ might only support single channel, and the evidence suggested that was correct.

But reading through all the thread again, it seems to me that the problem comes down to:-
1) the mismatch in size/type of memory might preclude dual channel operation given the slightly 'ambiguous' wording in the manual, or

2) a faulty memory controller on the FX55, (certainly possible given the history) which might also preclude dual channel operation if the motherboard will support mismatches in size/type of memory.

Ultimately it's down to me to try either matching the memory or trying another FX55, of course you could both be correct - a faulty CPU and mismatched RAM!

Depends which happens first, but I'll come back and let you know, now please kiss and make up. :love: 

Many thanks for your help and suggestions.

A

There was never an argument. Just a couple of alpha-geeks talking about different things. Its all good.

Still, if the 3700+ can see and use all 3GB and the FX55 can't, the problem is the FX55 that you have. Also, there is zero doubt (jaquith is spot on) that both the 3700+ and the FX55 in the Socket 939 support dual channel configurations. He is also right that optimally, you will get better performance if all of your RAM matches (and you are likely to have far fewer problems).
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 21, 2010 1:25:57 AM

Just "thinking out loud"

Athlon 64 3700+ = 2.2 GHz
Athlon 64 FX55 = 2.6 GHz {Unlocked -> CPU Multiplier} Hmm?? Bad Math somewhere??

Frequently, per COLGeek comments --- if this were an Intel MOBO frequently bent CPU pins can cause memory to be lost...

I am not an Athlon 64 overclocker guru... Are you OC'ing?
!