$20 580w PSU? what the heck?

Solution
Falcon - The 24 pin main power cable was adopted in ATX12V 2.0 in February 2003. The -5 volt rail was made optional in 2002. It was deleted in April 2003 in a revision two months after the 24 pin cable was adopted. The last actual reference to -5 volt rails was finally removed in a revision in June 2004.

There was a lot of overlap back then. It actually was possible to have a power supply with a 24 pin main power cable and a - 5 volt rail and for motherboards to have a couple of different power connections just in case. Both the psu's and motherboards had some power distribution flexibility built into them.

If you take a look at the photo of the psu data label it clearly shows a -5 volt rail. In addition there is no 6 pin PCI-e power...
Yea the problem is it might be 580 watts but all the power is in the wrong spot +3.3V@30A,+5V@36A,+12V@25A it only has 25 amps to the 12 volt and all modern computers need more 12 volt power. Back in the day the bulk of the system was powered by 3.3 and the 5 volt rails but its not the case any more.

I would be willing to say it would last quite some time if it wasn't stressed if it was only powering a system with say integrated graphics or a very low powered card it would probably be ok but you hook up a high end GPU to it yea it wont last a day.

Well it depends on what volt you are testing like I said before the power is all in the wrong place so it might actually be able to produce that wattage just not where its needed and that is why it is so cheap because it is useless with modern computers.

Its 20 bucks. You really think it can kick out 580 watts on ANY rail? I'm not betting my money on it.

No I wouldn't bet money on it or anything but it might be able to come close to it SunBeam usually aren't as bad as the others. Dont get me wrong they suck but that PSU is just made on an older style of PSU. I guess you forget or you just to young to know when computers barely used 12 volts for anything.

And they've probably had autodetect for the CPU timings and various voltages as well then instead of sets of jumper switches that had to be set for each component to get everything working.!! (Figure the older 20 pin MOBO connectors only had a single +12V line which is why they moved to the 24 pin connectors when the +12V usage increased.)

THere was probably a set of jumpers on the MOBO that needed to be setup to tell the MOBO what speed to run the CPU (older setups had to be manually adjusted each time you changed a part to tell the system what speed and voltage to supply to the various components and if the jumpers were set to run at 300mhz. it would run at 300mhz. no matter what CPU you put in it until you adjusted the setting (so it took a bit more knowledge to make adjustments and keep things running properly)

That model is a very old design that I haven't seen in quite a while. It was designed years ago for much older systems that we do not normally see in this day and age. In fact it goes back to the days when the +12 volt rail did not power much of anything and there was no active PFC (that's why the red voltage selector is on the back of the unit). There's probably someone, somewhere who might want it as a replacement. I'm surprised that newegg has any in stock. Users usually have to go search vendors that specialize in older pc parts.

That model is in no way, shape, or form designed for modern systems. Don't even think about using it for a modern system. The power distribution is completely different than modern psu's and modern pc systems. In addition, it doesn't even have a PCI-e power cable and only one SATA power cable. On the other hand it does have a floppy disk power cable.

There is enough information in the product specifications, data label, and photos to clearly indicate it is not a modern power supply for modern systems.

ronss

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
i would not touch it with a 10 ft pole...efficiency is probably bad, rated at peak power more than likely...its cheap because its a skelton unit,,they get the price down by not including parts that you see in higher priced psu,s units

That is what I was trying to tell them Johonny they thanks for backing me up on that.

It was actually the other way around. 24 pin wasn't brought in because 12 volt usage increased. The extra 4 pins were part of the design change that led to the increase in 12v usage.

Falcon - Actually, really old components can be had for low prices at liquidators and jobbers. There's very little demand for them.

BTW - I haven't checked lately but the last time I looked the really old 286 cpu's (ancient history) could be had for $2.00 each but you had to buy them in lots of 144 cpu's.

This isn't some antiquated leftover JohnnyLucky. Take a closer look.

Its still listed on their site and its 24 pin, so it cant be that old. Its also claiming 25 amps on the 12 volt. Thats a lot for pre-ATX 2 unit.

This is classic cost cutting move. Take an old design, stick a 24 pin connector on it, overrate it, and call it a day.