Your question
Solved

$20 580w PSU? what the heck?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
May 7, 2010 8:34:17 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

why is this PSU 580w for so low a price?

More about : 580w psu heck

a c 165 ) Power supply
May 7, 2010 8:35:40 PM

low? its probably over priced
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
May 7, 2010 8:38:48 PM

^+1
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2010 3:16:13 AM

Yea the problem is it might be 580 watts but all the power is in the wrong spot +3.3V@30A,+5V@36A,+12V@25A it only has 25 amps to the 12 volt and all modern computers need more 12 volt power. Back in the day the bulk of the system was powered by 3.3 and the 5 volt rails but its not the case any more.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2010 3:55:35 AM

it will only last like a week and it cant power any good cpu or gpu!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2010 4:00:23 AM

shovenose said:
it will only last like a week and it cant power any good cpu or gpu!

I would be willing to say it would last quite some time if it wasn't stressed if it was only powering a system with say integrated graphics or a very low powered card it would probably be ok but you hook up a high end GPU to it yea it wont last a day.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2010 4:03:30 AM

like a p4 or sthlon xp?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2010 4:18:52 AM

shovenose said:
like a p4 or sthlon xp?

For intel its more like the PIII days for AMD I cant remeber when they started useing 12 volt to power the CPU I think it was the Athlon XP.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2010 4:21:07 AM

FALC0N said:
Because if you tested it, you would be lucky to get 300 watts out of it.

Well it depends on what volt you are testing like I said before the power is all in the wrong place so it might actually be able to produce that wattage just not where its needed and that is why it is so cheap because it is useless with modern computers.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2010 5:31:56 AM

saaiello said:
Well it depends on what volt you are testing like I said before the power is all in the wrong place so it might actually be able to produce that wattage just not where its needed and that is why it is so cheap because it is useless with modern computers.

Its 20 bucks. You really think it can kick out 580 watts on ANY rail? I'm not betting my money on it.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2010 1:06:05 PM

sorry i pretty much agree with the above post
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2010 1:28:04 PM

FALC0N said:
Its 20 bucks. You really think it can kick out 580 watts on ANY rail? I'm not betting my money on it.
No I wouldn't bet money on it or anything but it might be able to come close to it SunBeam usually aren't as bad as the others. Dont get me wrong they suck but that PSU is just made on an older style of PSU. I guess you forget or you just to young to know when computers barely used 12 volts for anything.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2010 1:33:10 PM

since i started with copmuters they have always used 12v for everything. the few p3,2, and 1s i have dealt with i never looked at the power supplies :) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2010 2:22:40 PM

shovenose said:
since i started with copmuters they have always used 12v for everything. the few p3,2, and 1s i have dealt with i never looked at the power supplies :) 

And they've probably had autodetect for the CPU timings and various voltages as well then instead of sets of jumper switches that had to be set for each component to get everything working.!! (Figure the older 20 pin MOBO connectors only had a single +12V line which is why they moved to the 24 pin connectors when the +12V usage increased.)
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2010 2:29:25 PM

i came across a dell xps d333 (333mhz p2) i put in a 450mhz p2, and it only showed up as a 300mhz. why? i got rid of it, i just dont get why!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2010 2:43:17 PM

shovenose said:
i came across a dell xps d333 (333mhz p2) i put in a 450mhz p2, and it only showed up as a 300mhz. why? i got rid of it, i just dont get why!

THere was probably a set of jumpers on the MOBO that needed to be setup to tell the MOBO what speed to run the CPU (older setups had to be manually adjusted each time you changed a part to tell the system what speed and voltage to supply to the various components and if the jumpers were set to run at 300mhz. it would run at 300mhz. no matter what CPU you put in it until you adjusted the setting (so it took a bit more knowledge to make adjustments and keep things running properly)
m
l
May 8, 2010 2:49:26 PM

It must be a crappy PSU witch would probably get burned in a few months :) 
m
l
May 8, 2010 4:13:09 PM

ct1615 said:
low? its probably over priced

+1.

No one should buy a PSU with fake regulatory approvals at any time for any price.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
May 8, 2010 4:47:32 PM

That model is a very old design that I haven't seen in quite a while. It was designed years ago for much older systems that we do not normally see in this day and age. In fact it goes back to the days when the +12 volt rail did not power much of anything and there was no active PFC (that's why the red voltage selector is on the back of the unit). There's probably someone, somewhere who might want it as a replacement. I'm surprised that newegg has any in stock. Users usually have to go search vendors that specialize in older pc parts.

That model is in no way, shape, or form designed for modern systems. Don't even think about using it for a modern system. The power distribution is completely different than modern psu's and modern pc systems. In addition, it doesn't even have a PCI-e power cable and only one SATA power cable. On the other hand it does have a floppy disk power cable.

There is enough information in the product specifications, data label, and photos to clearly indicate it is not a modern power supply for modern systems.
m
l
May 9, 2010 1:41:36 AM

i would not touch it with a 10 ft pole...efficiency is probably bad, rated at peak power more than likely...its cheap because its a skelton unit,,they get the price down by not including parts that you see in higher priced psu,s units
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 9, 2010 1:59:21 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
That model is a very old design that I haven't seen in quite a while. It was designed years ago for much older systems that we do not normally see in this day and age. In fact it goes back to the days when the +12 volt rail did not power much of anything and there was no active PFC (that's why the red voltage selector is on the back of the unit). There's probably someone, somewhere who might want it as a replacement. I'm surprised that newegg has any in stock. Users usually have to go search vendors that specialize in older pc parts.

That model is in no way, shape, or form designed for modern systems. Don't even think about using it for a modern system. The power distribution is completely different than modern psu's and modern pc systems. In addition, it doesn't even have a PCI-e power cable and only one SATA power cable. On the other hand it does have a floppy disk power cable.

There is enough information in the product specifications, data label, and photos to clearly indicate it is not a modern power supply for modern systems.

That is what I was trying to tell them Johonny they thanks for backing me up on that.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 9, 2010 5:31:22 PM

I understood the design difference. I just don't trust $20 PSU of any stripe. Certainly not one that claims 580 watts. My experience suggests that more realistically rated units in that price range perform much better.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 9, 2010 5:39:33 PM

JDFan said:
And they've probably had autodetect for the CPU timings and various voltages as well then instead of sets of jumper switches that had to be set for each component to get everything working.!! (Figure the older 20 pin MOBO connectors only had a single +12V line which is why they moved to the 24 pin connectors when the +12V usage increased.)

It was actually the other way around. 24 pin wasn't brought in because 12 volt usage increased. The extra 4 pins were part of the design change that led to the increase in 12v usage.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
May 9, 2010 6:48:09 PM

Falcon - Actually, really old components can be had for low prices at liquidators and jobbers. There's very little demand for them.

BTW - I haven't checked lately but the last time I looked the really old 286 cpu's (ancient history) could be had for $2.00 each but you had to buy them in lots of 144 cpu's.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 9, 2010 9:58:15 PM

This isn't some antiquated leftover JohnnyLucky. Take a closer look.

Its still listed on their site and its 24 pin, so it cant be that old. Its also claiming 25 amps on the 12 volt. Thats a lot for pre-ATX 2 unit.

This is classic cost cutting move. Take an old design, stick a 24 pin connector on it, overrate it, and call it a day.
m
l

Best solution

a c 248 ) Power supply
May 10, 2010 12:26:54 AM

Falcon - The 24 pin main power cable was adopted in ATX12V 2.0 in February 2003. The -5 volt rail was made optional in 2002. It was deleted in April 2003 in a revision two months after the 24 pin cable was adopted. The last actual reference to -5 volt rails was finally removed in a revision in June 2004.

There was a lot of overlap back then. It actually was possible to have a power supply with a 24 pin main power cable and a - 5 volt rail and for motherboards to have a couple of different power connections just in case. Both the psu's and motherboards had some power distribution flexibility built into them.

If you take a look at the photo of the psu data label it clearly shows a -5 volt rail. In addition there is no 6 pin PCI-e power cable which was adopted in 2005. Another clue are the tiny psu fans. However, the power distribution is the real key. That particular power scheme worked fairly well with Intel Pentium 4 and AMD K7/K8 cpu's.

As near as I can tell from older psu oem databases Sunbeam stopped manufacturing that particular model sometime around 2006. It's definitely not listed at their web site.

I know it sounds bizarre but it's quite possible that somewhere, someone is running an old Pentium 4 with Windows 95 and needs an oem replacement psu.

EDIT - Check out this specification sheet for the original Antec True Power 550 watt power supply released in 2003:

http://www.antec.com/specs/true550EPS12V_spe.html

The rails and the current ratings are quite different from today. It had a -5 volt rail and a 24 pin main power connector. It also came with 4 pin, 6 pin, and 8 pin secondary power cables for compatibility with a variety of motherboards. The psu was the standard pc beige color of the time and the fan grills were gold colored.
a b ) Power supply
May 10, 2010 6:23:35 AM

I actually removed the -5 volt reference. The spec list did not include it but the pic on the PSU itself did. I noticed it on the pic after the fact and made the correction. Guess I was a little late.

I am aware of the ATX 2 dates. I was attempting to date it to about 2004-2006-ish. I was under the impression that you felt it dated back further. I misunderstood.

The ONLY point I am trying to make here is that the unit unlikely to be a legitimate 580 watt unit on any system. An overrated PSU is an overrated PSU, be it 2 years old or 10 years old.

I could be mistaken. You might hook it up to a load tester and it might draw 580 without breaking a sweat. I think its far more likely to shut down or blow up.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
May 10, 2010 7:10:58 AM

Back then most of of the power went to the +5 volt and +3.3 volt rails rather than the +12 volt rail. They used a formula to calculate a combined maximum using all three rails. The Antec True 550 watt psu had a combined maximum wattage of 530 watts. The Sunbeam would have had a combined maximum of 492 watts. The reason for the Sunbeam's lower maximum is the lower current on all three rails.

I don't know why Sunbeam called it a 580 when it should have been called a 500, especially since they clearly showed the maximum current for all three rails on the data label.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 10, 2010 7:24:49 AM

I have been meaning to ask you about your avatar Johnnylucky. It looks familiar, but I can't place it.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
May 10, 2010 7:49:08 AM

The skeleton is in Tombstone, Arizona - the town too tough to die and site of the infamous gunfight at the OK Corral. It's in front of the Ghosts and Legends of Tombstone tourist attraction on Allen Street.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 10, 2010 1:07:39 PM

my firend was running an oced core2 quad 3ghz, a geforce 9800pe, 1gb ram, and two hard drives, with a corsair h50, ona allied 500w psu. a REALLY old one. it had like 52amps or sopmething on the 5v rail and 20 on the 12volt. lol. so i gave him my ultra 550w modular psu and he gave me the old one, and im going to runa s462/a or s754 or a p4 on it...
m
l
May 19, 2010 11:57:27 PM

Best answer selected by ChronoBodi.
m
l
!