Sign in with
Your question

Dell Inspiron RAM overclock

Last response: in Memory
October 19, 2010 10:02:51 AM

I am wondering if it is worth overclocking the RAM on my system.
I have a fairly intensive system but understand that the CPU cannot be overclocked due to heat problems even though I have a fan cooler underneath.
Would it be possible to overclock the RAM instead?
It is a DELL Inspiron 9300, 1.73 GHz Intel Pentium M.
I have 2Gigs total of RAM DDR2-667 SDRAM in 2 slots.
FSB 133 MHz, RAM 266
Real bus 133 MHz possible 533.
Mem bus 267 MHz.
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
October 19, 2010 12:48:53 PM

Overclocking Dell's (other than select XPS systems) is not possible. The BIOS simply will not allow it. Besides, OCing memory offers very little additional performance and often makes the overall system more unstable. Not worth the effort.

You can go with a stronger CPU as long as you go with a CPU that your Dell will recognize. Do some research to determine what the top end processor for your model was. If worth the upgrade, buy and install.

Good luck!
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
October 19, 2010 1:02:12 PM

Quote:
not even worth that...
go new or at least newer.

Agreed. Just checked, assumed this was a desktop, actually a notebook. Time for a new system. Simply not worth doing anything with. Use it until it drops, but don't add/modify the 9300.
Related resources
October 19, 2010 1:06:16 PM

I was hoping to overclock it and make it drop so I could get a new one :) 
n I have 2 external monitors attached to it (1 on USB), finance software running on it, plus about 78 other processes including databases, Process Lasso, Office stuff, etc.
I've reduced as much as I can through msconfig and use Process Lasso to make it less sluggish but it's slowly keeling. In normal use RAM is around 1.5Gigs used up out of the 2.
Desktop is the way to go I think...
October 19, 2010 2:06:14 PM

Quote:
^
didn't answer question.
you have a very "intensive system"..?

as above ;) 
I have 2 external monitors attached to it (1 on USB), finance software running on it, plus about 78 other processes including databases, Process Lasso, Office stuff, etc.
I've reduced as much as I can through msconfig and use Process Lasso to make it less sluggish but it's slowly keeling. In normal use RAM is around 1.5Gigs used up out of the 2.
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
October 19, 2010 8:20:23 PM

Quote:
that's not intensive, that's 'sub-par'..

Agreed. Not intensive. Just asking too much of a system. Either upgrade or do less, simultaneously.
October 19, 2010 9:15:40 PM

COLGeek said:
Agreed. Not intensive. Just asking too much of a system. Either upgrade or do less, simultaneously.

Asking too much of the system = intensive for the system otherwise it wouldn;t need an upgrade. :bounce: 
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
October 19, 2010 9:19:10 PM

Intensive computing has another definition that is different than what you are describing. Not a big deal.
October 19, 2010 11:01:56 PM

You can technically overclock the system by removing one of the tracks in a certain chip in the mobo, and re-routing it, however the inspiron and all other laptops in dells line are not designed to do so. A problem could result in severe overheating and frying your system so my advice to you would be to forget about it and buy a pc with the specs you want. No other options really.
!