Asrocl N68C-S UCC problem with 5770

PeteMate

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Hi all,

I've just bought an asrock N68C-S UCC motherboard, and it's working fine with a phenom x4 945 95w processor and my old 3870 graphics card, but I can't get it to boot with my 5770 Graphics card. Obviously, i want my newer card to work, but all i get is a red light when i try and load it up.

Been banging my head against a brick wall for the last few days and I've had no answer from asrock support as yet. Tried updating the bios, rebuilt an old pc to make sure the card works (it does). The only reason i don't use the old pc is that it's not compatible with my new processor.

I can't really afford to buy any more parts - so my choices are to sell my 5770 and make do with the lower quality graphics or use my old pc -- which will bottleneck the newer card.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Pete

PeteMate

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
gekko,

Thermaltake X purepower 560w. I also tried my old generic 650w psu. Still the red light.

I did consider power supply as an issue. I think the red light is there to indicate these types of problems. That said, the card works in my old pc with the same psu; this is a more energy effiecient setup in comparison as i've gone from 2 hdd's to 1 and i think my old processor is 125w.

Have you checked that the 6 pin GPU power plug is seated properly and that the card is seated in the PCI-e slot ? I doubt it is a PSU issue as the 3870 uses only slightly less power than the 5770 (93W vs. 108W) and IIRC actually uses more wattage in idle and 2d mode since the 5770 downclocks more under 2d.

PeteMate

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Everything's seated properly and connected. I get the asrock welcome screen before the signal goes. would the red light indicate the card is refusing to post??

Couldn't hurt to give the connectors a once over with isopropanol i guess.

Thanks again for your help.

PeteMate

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Yeah, quick hello then... nada :-(

The 3870 is fine. I've actually got the pc to switch on and load windows 7 in 4 seconds with their 'quickboot' feature, so it's not a bad mobo all in all. I've just got this one massive problem.

i'm really confused.

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
nada lol. like zilch nada? xD

Maybe it's one of those scenarios where a board doesn't like a graphics card and that's just it. If you know the graphics card works - maybe your board just doesn't like it. (ie. Not supported, compatible, etc.)

Theoretically it should work, i guess realistically it doesn't xP.

Did you update the BIOS? you said you "tried".
How about a BIOS reset?

PeteMate

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
exactly like zilch xD

I've looked around some more and this also seems to be a problem for users with an 8800gt so i'm guessing the pci-e slot isn't giving the required power for higher end card. don't want to think what'd happen if i put a 5970 in there!!

I reset the bios, then updated to the latest version, then reset that. then looked for the nearest sharp object so i could end it all...

I guess i'm just gonna have to sell the card... i'd rather have a fast processor than the latest graphics if i had to choose.

Oh wait, i DO have to choose!! :-(

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread so if anyone comes up with a fix, please post it as it'll let me know to buy a new graphics card.

BEWARE ANYONE CONSIDERING AN ASROCK MOBO!!!

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
lol, It doesn't make much sense why it wouldn't take better gpu's. but then again. oh the horror of technology lol.

Maybe a newer card may work. Maybe it's just like a gap of cards it's incompatible with. Dk, but for the time being keep the card. No need to get rid of it right away xD

PeteMate

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Yeah...

i just got a reply from them:

Dear Peter,
Thanks for contacting ASRock.

After we test, N68C-S UCC can support VGA card HD5770 with BIOS P1.40.

Thanks for your e-mail.

Have a nice day
ASRock TSD

Thing is it DEOSN'T work and the card's definitely not the problem. just in case it's relevant, the 5770 has a red light that goes on when plugged into the asrock.

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
I'd say it all just comes down to it being the board. im still iffy on the psu. i mean if one gpu works, the other should too (psu wise) since its not that much of a difference in power. but that red light means something. I couldn't find anything about it in the manual - so im just about as clueless as you.

maybe retry updating the BIOS?
Any chance you can rma the board?

PeteMate

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
To be honest, i'm happy with the board, but i'm gonna have a word with the store i bought it from. they'll probably test one of their own 5770's with it.

now i've got a response from asrock that it SHOULD work, they haven't got a leg to stand on if they want to argue. problem is a proper AM3 board will need ddr3 so i'll need to pay the difference on the board AND buy some new memory.

NIGHTMARE!! haha....

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

If they can do that, maybe that could be of some help too.

lol - SHOULD and DO are two different things xP.
Like maybe something that supports AM3, but uses DDR2 can work? MSI :heink: idk lol
Asus

And sorry it's a nightmare mate, but nightmares are what dreams even better xD

PeteMate

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
No word of a lie, i was online looking at that mobo when it dawned on me to replace the hard drive and do a clean install. at first i got nothing, but after resetting the bios several times, i got the magical post beep and i've made it all the way to windows installation!

I'm still not ready to give up on my new 2tb drive, but it's a definite start :)

dukesdad

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011

I have the same MOBO and it does run my 8800gtx, though it makes things kind of tight.
My problem is when i try the core unlocker, i get the BSOD.

arranmc182

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
I have this Motherboard & a XFX HD 5770 XXX running just fine on this motherboard have you tried downloading a copy of Linux on a live CD and testing if you can boot that if so I would say its a driver problem in Windows I had this and just had to reinstall

G

I've got a new PC with the N68C S UCC mobo (AMD Athlon II x 2 250 [3.0gHz] with 2Gb RAM) and I have now tried a brand new ASUS EAH5570 PCI-E card without success (Windows just doesn't recognise a new device).

I have BIOS v1.40 and just today received a brand new Radeon HD 5770 "vapor-x" PCI-E card - installed it and, again, Windows will not detect it at all!!???

I've trawled the BIOS settings and everything seems to be in place. I have disabled the on-board graphics. The two cards are definitely getting power.

Any ideas?