Sign in with
Your question

Phenom x 6 1055T vs Phenom x 4 BE 955

Last response: in CPUs
May 7, 2010 9:40:18 PM

There is only £20 in the price difference. I'm assuming I could get quite a good OC on the x4, I'm getting a really cool antec case but will the six cores of the other cpu mean that it will last me longer with out being outdated?

I will use the system for mainly gaming and general use. It will be paired with HD5670 crossfire for now, but I probs will update soonish.

What do you think?
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2010 9:48:14 PM

If it fits in your budget, why not ? With turbo, the six core 1055 can turbo 3 of the cores up to 3.2, which is 955 speed. Theres the novelty of having a 6 core, thats cool. With every component , motherboard, video card, cpu and even psu. There has to be some compromise ,for your budget. Or we all would get the best !
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2010 6:13:35 AM

I agree. If they are that close together price wise, why not?
Related resources
May 8, 2010 11:43:10 AM

For gaming and overclocking, go for the 955.
May 8, 2010 12:03:14 PM

istoledgoods said:
For gaming and overclocking, go for the 955.

Agree.
May 8, 2010 3:41:05 PM

N.Broekhuijsen said:
yep 955

Can I ask what reason there behind you saying to choose the quad core, I will listen to you guys cos you clearly know what you are talking about thanks
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2010 3:57:05 PM

Games these days will not use more than 3 or maybe 4 cores anyways, so it's pointless to invest in a 6 core that is clocked at a lower speed.

since then the quad core has a higher speed per core, when using up to 4 cores the quad core will be better.

Very, and i mean VERY few games are actually built to use more than 4 cores.

Does that make sense?

+ the 1055 might have turbo core, but the 955 also OCs very well, you should be able to get it to about 3.8 - 4.0 on stock voltages, and higher if you dare put the voltage up enough and have a big cooler.

I got my 965 to 4.3 with a v8 and 1.5 volts, so yeah, speaks for itself!

Have a blast with the Phenom!
May 8, 2010 4:04:12 PM

N.Broekhuijsen said:
Games these days will not use more than 3 or maybe 4 cores anyways, so it's pointless to invest in a 6 core that is clocked at a lower speed.

since then the quad core has a higher speed per core, when using up to 4 cores the quad core will be better.

Very, and i mean VERY few games are actually built to use more than 4 cores.

Does that make sense?

+ the 1055 might have turbo core, but the 955 also OCs very well, you should be able to get it to about 3.8 - 4.0 on stock voltages, and higher if you dare put the voltage up enough and have a big cooler.

I got my 965 to 4.3 with a v8 and 1.5 volts, so yeah, speaks for itself!

Have a blast with the Phenom!

Okie dokie man, I will get the quad core, thanks very much for your help. When I get might you help me overclock it, I've never OC before but really want to. It should be to hard should it as its the black edition that lets you change the multiplier?
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2010 4:21:59 PM

If your mobo/ram is up to the task you can get a hefty OC out of a 1055T, but like has been said games aren't really using 6 cores yet and the 955 will OC easier.
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2010 5:49:22 PM

That DOESN'T make a the quad a better choice. The 1055T has a better stepping than the current X4 and should overclock just as well. If the price difference is that close and he is overclocking, he likely is better off with the 1055T
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2010 6:34:18 PM

adam_x_brookes said:
Okie dokie man, I will get the quad core, thanks very much for your help. When I get might you help me overclock it, I've never OC before but really want to. It should be to hard should it as its the black edition that lets you change the multiplier?

Yeah sure I'll help you out.

Plenty of other people here on tom's that can help though.

anyways if you want my help drop me a private message or link me to a thread.

Good luck with the build,

xbeater
May 8, 2010 9:09:13 PM

FALC0N said:
That DOESN'T make a the quad a better choice. The 1055T has a better stepping than the current X4 and should overclock just as well. If the price difference is that close and he is overclocking, he likely is better off with the 1055T

If i get the quad I might be able to afford DDr3 Ram rather DDr2, and this will make my build more future proof? Argh hate mixed opinions lol =(
May 8, 2010 9:34:23 PM

There is no such thing as future proof. However, given your current uses such as games your better off with a quadcore. If you going to run Anti virus and convert videos while playing games your better off with the six core. Just go with the quad and get yourself a better video card :lol: 
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2010 10:41:28 PM

adam_x_brookes said:
If i get the quad I might be able to afford DDr3 Ram rather DDr2, and this will make my build more future proof? Argh hate mixed opinions lol =(

What do you mean? Where I am, DDR2 and 3 are about the same price.
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2010 10:57:10 PM

You want an AM3 system with DDR3 either way, that way you'll have more of a possibility for BullDozer upgrade options in the future. AM2+ on new system with a decent budget = Fail.
May 9, 2010 3:08:38 AM

adam_x_brookes said:
Can I ask what reason there behind you saying to choose the quad core, I will listen to you guys cos you clearly know what you are talking about thanks
The Quad Core 955 is black edition, therefore it is easier to overclock. It also has higher clock speeds. 3.2GHZ > 2.8GHZ. The 1055T is Six Core but games don't utilize all cores, only up to 4. In fact, most games today don't even use 4 cores, but 2. But it is good to future proof to Quad Core, as soon there will be games that utilize all 4 cores. It will be a long long time before games use six cores.
May 9, 2010 9:06:51 AM

FALC0N said:
What do you mean? Where I am, DDR2 and 3 are about the same price.

Yeh but I already have DDR2 ram that I can put in from my old system, I would need to buy DDR3 Ram which means its more expensive
May 9, 2010 9:08:17 AM

Raidur said:
You want an AM3 system with DDR3 either way, that way you'll have more of a possibility for BullDozer upgrade options in the future. AM2+ on new system with a decent budget = Fail.

yeah ok man, Have gone with an AM3 board with crossfire, and 4 gig DDR3 Ram. Will have to upgrade my graphics sometime soon, cos i recon a HD5670 will be a huge bottleneck
!