Sign in with
Your question

AM2+/AM3 help - mobo died

Last response: in Motherboards
October 19, 2010 2:15:17 PM

My current rig is a little outdated, and I need a little help with some suggestions. Currently

Asus Crosshair - went kaput on me
Phenom x4 9850BE
2x2GB DDR2-800
2x8800GT in sli
550W sli/xfire capable power supply

So I need to replace the motherboard. Here's the problem, I'm saving up for a trip in 2 months so my budget is really tight. I've already pushed the trip back once because of car problems, so I can't do it again.

I'd REALLY like to keep my SLI 8800GTs, but there aren't any newer nvidia chipsets that'll let me do that AND keep my DDR2 memory.

I have 3 options I can see

Buy a used 590sli board (really old chipset though... and won't support phenom II)
Forget my sli 8800's and go with AM2+ chipset, then upgrade CPU soon to phenom II (but lose a lot of graphics horsepower in the process)
Upgrade to AM3 with new memory and cpu, or go to LGA1156 and same thing new mobo, memory, and cpu (not in my budget at all - unless I sell my old stuff)

There may be other options I'm missing too. I didn't want to spend over $100-130ish. I can also sell an 8800gt , memory, and cpu, and get maybe $120-150. That'd give me close to $300 to spend.

What do you guys think?

More about : am2 am3 mobo died

a c 435 V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 2:43:42 PM

Are you sure it's the motherboard and not the ps? Have you tried a spare ps? Have you requested an rma from asus? Your board may still be under warranty. It won't hurt to try. Otherwise, I would sell your stuff on one of the hardware forums. Anandtech is one of the best. Craigslist may also work. If you don't get any offers within a week, then you can order a replacement board. Computer geeks and 3b tech are two places I've done business with. They sell older boards.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 3:40:03 PM

Maybe sell your broken board for cheap (say idk $90-$100?) as-is. Then buy another same board online and use the money from the other board + a little more (you can find the board on ebay for $200) and you can use everything you already have. You probably won't spend any more than $150.

That's one suggestion. You could get an older board, but in the long run that will only be more expensive. Eventually you'll need to upgrade everything.
m
l
Related resources
October 19, 2010 4:39:07 PM

Gekko Shadow said:
Maybe sell your broken board for cheap (say idk $90-$100?) as-is. Then buy another same board online and use the money from the other board + a little more (you can find the board on ebay for $200) and you can use everything you already have. You probably won't spend any more than $150.

That's one suggestion. You could get an older board, but in the long run that will only be more expensive. Eventually you'll need to upgrade everything.

My biggest problem is I don't want to put an old ass board that won't support anything newer because I was planning on upgrading this spring. this really happened at the worst time possible. I might just have to bite the bullet and spend $100 or something on an old 590sli board for the time being, and upgrade next year. Thanks for the advice on selling the board as is - if I get $50 in my pocket I'll be happy.

To the baove poster - yes it definitely is the motherboard. I have lots of spare parts including power supplies. I've done all the diagnostics and it's definitely the motherboard (even threw in my old athlon x2 in there just to be on the safe side).
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 6:52:20 PM

I'm assuming you don't have another PC laying around you could use? =P
If you did, you could wait off till spring then build a new-ish system lol.

m
l
October 19, 2010 9:27:05 PM

I have (2) lga775 boards, a pentium d, pentium dual core, 3GB of ram in 1gb sticks, power supply, 2 cases, hard drives, etc. I believe both of those lga775 boards are bad, the pentium dual core I killed. I might see if I can get something working for the time being, even if it's just a pentium d, throw one of the 8800gt's in there for awhile. I haven't built a system from scratch pretty much in awhile, so I think I may start over with AM3 or lga1156 depending on the cash I have to play with. Thanks for the replies
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 11:38:26 PM

lmao dam xD. If you could scrape something i think that would be better - moneywise.

But on another note - maybe a lga 1155 might be worth the wait? just saying.

Good luck with it all mate!
m
l
!