Sp1 wont install

cbrunnem

Distinguished
simple. sp1 will not install on my computer. it fails everytime and i have tried the remote manual install thing they tell you to try.

my windows is activated and genuine so that probably isnt it. i used an upgrade disks code though.... so its on two computers but microsoft excepted it.

any ideas? all other updates install just fine

It's already installed?
Your make and model is incompatible without first installing a manufacturer supplied firmware update?
Your antivirus is preventing the installation?
You loaded free antivirus from the internet which is preventing the installation?
You need to shut off the firewall?
You are not logged in as administrator of this computer?

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
I had the same problem and mine was an OEM install on a fresh built machine. Mine finally installed after a reboot.

I (and microsoft) suggest turning off your anti-virus (or maybe even uninstall). Rebooting the PC, and then the first thing you do is tell windows to update. I also suggest disabling as many programs as possible during startup. This can be done with CCleaner or a similar program. I think Windows Defender can do it to. You can re-enable them after the service pack is installed.

If it still doesn't work, double check the error code and make sure you are doing everything they say to try.

I still haven't gotten vista to install it's service pack...

thegr8anand

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Its been months I havent been able to install SP1 as well. I remember someone suggested it was a problem with driver cleaning stuff removing needed files(have a gaming laptop g73). I did try to restore those files but still hasn't worked. I don't want to do a clean install and wipe everything.