Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Flashing new bios on a motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
October 19, 2010 3:43:47 PM

This from HP support,how do I get around this, without them charging me to tattoo the bnord, is this the same as flashing. I have a new ecs board that I want to install.

Hello Siegfried,

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care. My name is Paula. I am from Desktop E-mail Support Team.

From reviewing the e-mail, I understand that you want to install a new Motherboard on your HP Pavilion a6200n Desktop PC and want to know if the factory shipped will be recognized on the new Motherboard.

I will assist you in this regard.

Siegfried, I would like to inform you that whenever you change the motherboard, you need to get the motherboard "Tattooed". When tattooing an HP Pavilion, a code is written into the BIOS on the motherboard. The recovery CD checks for this code. If it cannot find it, it will display an error message on screen. When you replace a motherboard, you must also re-tattoo it.

In order to prevent unauthorized use of the abundant software that HP provides its customers, HP has adopted a security measure that "brands" the motherboard in each computer. The brand is called the tattoo. This tattoo, if done properly, allows the licensed user to retrieve all needed software from the recovery CD. If done improperly, needed software may not load on affected HP Pavilion PCs. If a tattoo is not done, the recovery CD will not function and the end user will get a message stating: This Is Not The Correct Recovery CD For This Model Pavilion. In order to verify that a system has been properly tattooed, have the user press the CTRL+ALT+S keys simultaneously. This will bring up the HP Pavilion Support Information window. If no information is present, either the tattoo has become corrupted or the motherboard was not tattooed. I recommend you contact HP Authorized Service provided to get the motherboard tattooed.

I hope the above provided information is helpful. If you need any further assistance, please get back to us. We will be glad to assist you further.

For information on keeping your HP and Compaq products up and running, please visit our website at:
http://www.hp.com/go/totalcare

Sincerely,

Pau
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 4:24:13 PM

Firstly, are you trying to replace the motherboard on the hp system with a new motherboard (totally different) or the same motherboard? (and can i ask why?)

And If it's a different board, you know that a recovery disc won't help out much? It won't have the right drivers or software.

And im not mistaken - no its not the same thing. Tattoes are inputed into the BIOS - kind of like a service tag on Dell PC's - the actual BIOS being updated/flashed does not tattoe it. It just updates it. And you'd still need to tattoe it.
m
0
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 4:29:43 PM

No, this is code embedded in the BIOS for each specific motherboard linked to the "Recover Disk" from the sounds of it. This keeps your "recover disk" specific to your model... Nice trick if actually true (never ran across it before).

I would say there are a couple of work-a-rounds, with the easiest buying a new motherboard and OS disk and reusing all the other components. You could also try installing the new motherboard without doing a fresh install. Once install, don't install any drivers, boot into Safe Mode, remove all the drivers related to the old motherboard and reboot. At this point, install all of the new drivers once into Windows. You'll just need to watch for BSOD, which at that point a "fresh" install is your best option.

Just my thoughts....
m
0
l
Related resources
October 19, 2010 4:51:26 PM

Thanks guys, yes this is a totally new board not hp board, which was $37 bucks the geforce6100pm-m2v3.0 which is computable to my system.. by the time I buy a new OS disk, don't know if it's worth all the trouble..I will try your way tecmo34..first
m
0
l
October 19, 2010 5:00:13 PM

or do you think that I should just send back the motherboard and buy a new computer, for $400 bucks I can get a new desk top. But the challenge to get this working is to much to resist.
m
0
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 5:11:50 PM

I say it is worth the try... :) 
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 6:21:44 PM


ziggy_70 said:
or do you think that I should just send back the motherboard and buy a new computer, for $400 bucks I can get a new desk top. But the challenge to get this working is to much to resist.


lol challenges are always fun x) but make sure you have time and patience ready :cry: 
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 6:28:21 PM

tecmo34 said:


I would say there are a couple of work-a-rounds, with the easiest buying a new motherboard and OS disk and reusing all the other components. You could also try installing the new motherboard without doing a fresh install. Once install, don't install any drivers, boot into Safe Mode, remove all the drivers related to the old motherboard and reboot. At this point, install all of the new drivers once into Windows. You'll just need to watch for BSOD, which at that point a "fresh" install is your best option.

Just my thoughts....


Maybe i'm reading something wrong here, but how is he going to do a "unfresh" (i suppose i made that up? xD) install
Nvm. I think i got it lmao - you're suggesting he installs the board and connects the current hard drive to the new board? :lol: 

Well that might work, i've done something like this before. Although my case was from a laptop to a desktop xD.
m
0
l
October 19, 2010 6:28:59 PM

tecmo34 said:
No, this is code embedded in the BIOS for each specific motherboard linked to the "Recover Disk" from the sounds of it. This keeps your "recover disk" specific to your model... Nice trick if actually true (never ran across it before).

I would say there are a couple of work-a-rounds, with the easiest buying a new motherboard and OS disk and reusing all the other components. You could also try installing the new motherboard without doing a fresh install. Once install, don't install any drivers, boot into Safe Mode, remove all the drivers related to the old motherboard and reboot. At this point, install all of the new drivers once into Windows. You'll just need to watch for BSOD, which at that point a "fresh" install is your best option.

Just my thoughts....

what is BSOD
m
0
l
October 19, 2010 6:46:59 PM

It almost seams to easy,how to get windows up, will it boot up in save mode if the hard drive will not see the board, due to the tattooing of the system by hp
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 6:58:06 PM

ziggy_70 said:
what is BSOD


BSOD means "Blue Screen of Death". This is an error that involves your whole screen going blue with a listed text message of the error. Usually this error happens when a random/major/minor/critical conflict is found in windows and is forced to shut down.

If what tecmo suggested makes a BSOD appear then you'll have to do a fresh install.

ziggy_70 said:
It almost seams to easy,how to get windows up, will it boot up in save mode if the hard drive will not see the board, due to the tattooing of the system by hp


The hard drive is not tattoed like the motherboard. Hard drives work in just about any board by any manufacturer (as long as the specs meet - ie. SATA, PATA, etc). Also, it won't boot up to safe mode - you had to make it boot in safe mode, usually by hitting one of the "F" keys (ie. F8).
m
0
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 7:07:53 PM

BSOD = Blue Screen of Death
m
0
l
!