Sign in with
Your question

$1500 Canadian Gaming computer.

Last response: in Systems
March 1, 2010 2:42:01 PM

I need all of the parts required for a PC, mostly for the purpose of gaming.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week probably.

BUDGET RANGE: $1500 Canadian, before rebate, taxes, and shipping.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, internet, work, folding.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, microphone.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Probably Newegg.ca, otherwise no preference. As long as they take Paypal, don't over charge, and the shipping isn't too costly. Local stores would work too.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Large tower with spots for adding extra harddrives and disc drives, and other parts in the future, will settle for one of each part for now to save money for other parts (GPU, CPU, RAM).

OVERCLOCKING: If I can do it safely with mostly stock parts, or cheap addons.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes if it's cost effective. Allow room for expansion to this if it's not, unless getting parts that allow me to expand to SLI/Crossfire is not cost effective.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Old monitor allows up to 1680x1050, it should still be working, don't know if I need to upgrade, will probably save me quite a bit not to.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'll need an external HDD to transfer data between computers, it would be best if it were cheap and had a good storage capacity. If it's cheap enough it will not be included in the cost of this PC build.

I've been told Windows 7 would be the best OS to get.

Maybe I should have extra spots on the Tower for 2+ outtake fans.

The main game I'm planning to play is that GTA style MMO, APB (All Points Bulletin), however it would be good if it could run more complex games too, maybe even the most stressful ones, or at least the most stressful that are well optimized.

I don't know if a PC that costs this much could run DX11 (DirectX 11) games well. If it can though that would be good. Would be best if I could spend as little as possible but still be able to expand to DX11 later if I can't do it now.

I need a Wireless Network Adaptor, I cannot connect directly to the router with a wire. I've made another topic for this here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/281628-13-need-wire...

The cost of the network card will be included in the build, the cost of the router I'm planning to get will not be included in the cost of the build.

Should I get any additional cooling over what comes stock?

I'm using a really cheap mousepad, so far it seems effective. I've heard even a sheet of paper is good. Is it worth buying a more expensive one?
March 1, 2010 2:47:58 PM

One last thing. Should I leave a spot for a Blueray drive available? I imagine my monitor won't benefit from the extra image quality as much, maybe I should just hold off on Blueray until I can get a higher resolution monitor.

Even on this laptop monitor running at 1366x768 I notice quite a difference between Blueray and DVD, so that might be something to think about.

I guess all I need to do is make sure there's a space available for another disc drive (Blueray) for when I get enough money to upgrade.
Related resources
March 1, 2010 6:44:03 PM

Do you think you will be upgrading the monitor in the future? at 16xx you will only need a 5770 but at 19xx you will want a 5870 or so.
March 1, 2010 6:51:49 PM

I probably will be upgrading the monitor at some point.

I'll likely upgrade the monitor before other parts.

It sounds like that would be the best choice, especially if I plan on watching/playing on Blueray discs.
March 1, 2010 7:04:00 PM

Alright here you go.

All from Newegg.ca

Sata Optical

HAF922

Seagate 7200.12 500 GB

HD5870

Antec 650 watt PSU (Earthwatts)

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)

ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield

Win7 64 bit

Hyper 212 Plus Cooler

1370 before shipping tax's and rebates.

If you wanted to you could hit your mark of 1500 by adding a new monitor that supports 19XX resolution so that your graphics card will actually get a work out. :D 

Like maybe this one.....

Monitor
March 1, 2010 7:16:35 PM

The monitor is tempting :) 

One thing, I think you got the link for the HD5870 wrong, it also leads to the HDD.

I may have to go a bit over budget to get the wireless network card and the monitor but I may be able to manage.

Looks like a great build otherwise, thank you for your help so far.
a b 4 Gaming
March 1, 2010 7:22:20 PM

OSU's build looks great. If you wanted to drop the price down a bit, you could switch to a Phenom II X4 (probably the 955 Black Edition) and an AM3 board, but what he has listed is basically the best gaming computer you can get at the price.
March 1, 2010 7:25:08 PM

Sorry about the hd5870 link it is fixed now.

You should be able to get the network card for about 20 bucks or so. they are pretty cheap last time I looked.
March 1, 2010 7:50:02 PM

I guess if noone else has anything to add then this is the final build.

The only other thing I need then is an external Harddrive so I can transfer data between computers, and perhaps backup data (which I've no means of doing other than using DVDs atm).

It doesn't have to be super high capacity, or super high quality, just enough to get fairly large files from one PC to another.

Thank you for your help so far.

The cost of this external drive will not be added to the cost of the build.
March 1, 2010 10:16:52 PM

Any ideas about the external Harddrive?
March 1, 2010 10:32:10 PM

Here i live in Canada and I buy from here. Bout 3 computers now and its all NICE.
www.lucomputers.com
They build it for free. And ship it to you. I am a local customer tho.
March 1, 2010 10:57:47 PM

One last bump for now, probably won't be on for a good number of hours, feel free to leave any help you can while I'm away.
a c 211 4 Gaming
March 1, 2010 11:16:49 PM

I like the guy from Ohio State U's build.....but.....I'd look for this MoBo but I don't see it on Canadian site for some reason.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here's a case alternate fr same price (w/PSU) .... both are fine choices

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Not a fan of Hanns monitors

If budget can afford.....

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

if not, one of these:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=EN...
March 2, 2010 8:35:35 AM

I do like that the motherboard you showed has USB 3.0, is that about the only extra?

The extra fan on that case may be helpful, I don't know what other differences there are. From the reviews though people are having problems with that PSU burning out really fast.

I probably should consider other monitors, I don't know what the differences between them are.

I still need to figure out what external harddrive to get.

I'll probably be purchasing in the next day or two, unless I'm still uncertain about some things.

I still need to establish exactly what to get as far as my router and internet card go too.
March 2, 2010 11:55:18 AM

osu43130 said:
Alright here you go.

All from Newegg.ca

Sata Optical

HAF922

Seagate 7200.12 500 GB

HD5870

Antec 650 watt PSU (Earthwatts)

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)

ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield

Win7 64 bit

Hyper 212 Plus Cooler

1370 before shipping tax's and rebates.

If you wanted to you could hit your mark of 1500 by adding a new monitor that supports 19XX resolution so that your graphics card will actually get a work out. :D 

Like maybe this one.....

Monitor

This is essentially the same build I went with. I choose an NZXT for my case and added an SSD for my OS drive. I am currently waiting for Newegg to ship my parts, ordered it Friday and they have yet to ship. Pretty annoyed about that. In hindsight I should have done most if not all of my shopping through Buy.com or Amazon.

Simply put I think this part list is a great build, just choose your merchant wisely and don't forget the thermal paste!
March 2, 2010 11:57:27 AM

I stand corrected in my statement. My case just shipped, no clue what the status of everything else is.
March 2, 2010 12:25:58 PM

So nothing about whether a USB 3.0 motherboard would be worth it?

Sounds like I should go with the original build OSU gave me so far. Don't know if JackNaylorPE's suggestions would make a difference.

Still don't know what external Harddrive to get.
March 2, 2010 12:28:45 PM

I'm also wondering if the 4GB of RAM is enough for all games.
March 2, 2010 12:42:46 PM

4 gb of Ram is all you need.

I would go with Jacks Mobo if you can afford the little bit of extra money no need to spend this much money then regret something later. I just did not e it on the Ca website as well thats why I picked the Mobo I did.
March 2, 2010 12:45:18 PM

Do you think I should get one of the monitors Jack suggested, or should I stick with the one you showed me?

I still need an external harddrive. The price of it will not be added to the build.
March 2, 2010 12:52:50 PM

Monitors comes down to personal preference.

Honestly if I where you for a monitor I would go to a local shop and look at some before choosing a monitor.

1) Make sure it supports 19xx resolution
2) You will get to pick a monitor that fits your needs better
3) You have a better chance getting a monitor that is not damaged durring shipping.

As far as Hanns G and Asus monitors go I like them both I personally own an Asus monitor currently but have had several Hanns G monitors that treated me really good.

This is also the external Hard drive I have it is nothing special and is not one of the fastest but I got it really cheap due to sales on NewEgg when I bought it.

External HDD
March 2, 2010 1:34:23 PM

Thanks for the external HDD recommendation.

I think I'll get a monitor on Newegg as long as it can save me money. I've heard that local shops usually charge more, and have less of a selection.

So far I've never had a problem with shipped monitors.

I'll go with any good monitor that fits the budget.

I was reading reviews about the monitor you originally suggested, and people were saying it wasn't working right with Windows 7 64bit. They also said it wasn't packaged well and that it may be at risk of being damaged.
March 2, 2010 1:42:12 PM

First and foremost......

Take NewEgg reviews grain of salt (most of the time a dump truck of salt) they are written by people that most of the time cant even tie their shoes.

Second both monitors are good monitors and as long as it fits in your budget get which everyone you feel comfortable with.

Also I got my last monitor from Newegg as well and no problems with it or anything else I ordered. Got pretty lucky if you ask me.

Either way you will have a very nice system when it is all said and done as well as save a bit of money based on your original budget.
a b 4 Gaming
March 2, 2010 1:57:05 PM

Third, there's no way a monitor should work better or worse with a specific OS. There might be driver issues with the graphics card, but there's next to no way that it's possible for an OS to interact poorly with a monitor.
March 2, 2010 2:27:41 PM

So from the sounds of it I should stick with everything in that build you made in your second comment, but substitute the motherboard for the one jack mentioned.
March 2, 2010 2:55:42 PM

Yep the mother board Jack provided is a little more future proof (and boy do I hate that phrase)
March 2, 2010 7:21:45 PM

I don't know why I never thought of this earlier, but since the mobo Jack mentioned cannot be purchased at Newegg.ca I don't think I can get it. It would be nice to have the USB 3.0, but if that is the only benefit, and if they don't accept Paypal (I also heard they don't ship to Canada), then I don't think I can get that one.
March 2, 2010 7:26:15 PM

Yep I did not find it on Newegg.ca when I looked that is why I pretty much picked the comparable board but with out U3S6
March 2, 2010 7:29:43 PM

Ok, guess I'll go with the original build, thank you for all your help.

Should I get thermal paste?
March 2, 2010 7:30:59 PM

NP and GL with the build.
a c 211 4 Gaming
March 4, 2010 11:24:11 PM

anishinaabeg said:
I do like that the motherboard you showed has USB 3.0, is that about the only extra?

The extra fan on that case may be helpful, I don't know what other differences there are. From the reviews though people are having problems with that PSU burning out really fast.

I probably should consider other monitors, I don't know what the differences between them are.

I still need to figure out what external harddrive to get.

I'll probably be purchasing in the next day or two, unless I'm still uncertain about some things.

I still need to establish exactly what to get as far as my router and internet card go too.

MoBo has SATA III too
.... I don't know why it's not on canada's newegg site ....none of the ISB 3 / SATA III ones were ..... try calling and asking
The Earthwatts 650 is one of the best rated 650 watt units around. Jonnyguru gives it a 9.0 Performance Rating The Corsair TX650 is in the same category.....I'd be content w/ either one but the bundle price makes it attractive.

The biggest thing about the Asus is its 1920 x 1200 not x 1080 ....and it's a highly rated Asus ....73% give it 5 eggs, Hann gets 59% but again, I don't think Hann purchases are expecting much for the price.

!