Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card's fans spinning fast, no display out of primary card.

Last response: in Systems
March 1, 2010 3:33:59 PM

Hello Tom's hardware community. I've been having some trouble with my new build and thought someone here might be able to help. I have been unable to solve the problem myself, unable to find the answer on the web, and not received any help from vendors. Unfortunately I've been so involved in trying to solve the problem that I've lost my objectivity. So, I thought someone here might be able to help.

The problem is this. Every other time or so I turn on my new build (powered on for the first time on 2-27-2010) the fans on my graphics cards spin very fast and continue to do so until I fully power down my system (even that doesn't work 100% of the time). The fans spin like when you first power up your system from shut down, the short burst of high rpm spin that last only a few seconds. Except my card's fans don't drop in rpm. Restarting doesn't seem to change anything, only an actual interruption in power seems to affect it. At the same time this happens the display signal off of which ever card is in the primary PCI-E X16 cuts out and the display signal is rerouted to the secondary card. I've also noted that randomly one of my cards will not show up in catalyst control center as well as either crossfirex options or ati overdrive. Those two alternate which one appears.

Here's a list of my components:

i7-860
Asus Sabertooth 55i
Corsair H50 CPU cooler
Mushkin 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600 Latency 7-9-7
Cm690 II Advanced
Corsair 1000W PSU
Asus DVD-RW
AFT XM-5U card reader
Sapphire Vapor-X 4890 OC, 1GB DDR5
Sapphire Vapor-X 4890, 1GB DDR5
OCZ vertex 30GB SSD (X2, Raid0)
Velociraptor 300GB HDD
Caviar Black 1TB HDD
Silverstone CMOS Reset switch
Windows 7 HP 64-bit
23" Asus LCD monitor
APC XS 1300 Battery backup

This is what I've tried so far.
-Windows is up to date
-updated bios + re-flashed them again later on (1408, latest version available)
-updated video card drivers
-tried every other set of drivers dating from the latest 10.4 something back to 9.something (the set released back in Oct 09)
-Installed each card individually (they work fine individually)
-Installed both at once, and one at a time. I tried wiping the drivers, then re-installing the drivers at each card installation too
-Tried the cards in my friends system and they worked fine.
-Tried different crossfire bridges as well
-Tried different RAM (OCZ DDR3 1600)
-Tried plugging it in straight to the wall outlet
-RMA'd both my mobo and my psu as I was told by Asus that what I was experiencing a "cold-boot issue" which is caused by either the mobo or the psu. But it wasn't either.

This is my second build and one of the 4890's actually came from my old system (Oct '09). Crossfire with this card worked just fine with a mismatched 4870. At this point I don't know if the fault belongs to the drivers, the cards, windows, or just some other general incompatibility. I'm really out of ideas but I'm hoping I'm being stupid though and just am just missing something simple. Thanks in advance for any help, -Chizel.

More about : graphics card fans spinning fast display primary card

a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2010 3:41:21 PM

If the cards work fine in another known working board, I'd look to your board having a fault with CF. Not certain how you could test it though...
m
l
March 1, 2010 4:21:25 PM

I'm not sure either since my friend with multiple cards just RMA'd them. Thank you for the feedback jack_attack, I'll explore that option when opportunity presents itself. -Chizel.
m
l
September 28, 2010 4:26:18 PM

Im replying to this thread even though it is old because Im having the same problem. I was wondering what the outcome was on this?

I have a EVGA X58 board running Windows 7 x64.

The primary 4890 runs fine which is in the top PCI-e slot. I added a second 4890 in the second PCI-e slot and now the one in the primary slot is not working and only the one in the second pci-e slot works, Only one video card is being detected in the device manager. I have to hook the display to the 4890 in the second pci-e slot to get a signal. Both cards are powered up fans running.

If I take the seond video card out the one in the top pci-e slot will start working again.

Please someone help
m
l
!