Filing copying error from RAID to RAID disks

HFO

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Hello,

I am using ASrock extreme 9 mainboard with MArvell 9172 controllers.

I am suffering from MATLAB file error after files are copied from RAID disks to RAID disks.

One of several dozes of large files ( several GBs) suffers from file corruption after file copying.

Anyone has some idea about the cause of this phenomenon?

Solution
I assume from your mention of the Marvell controllers you using onboard RAID. Are all of your drives RAID capable or are some of them green drives? Green drives have issues due to their frequent spin down. Also are the drives in each array matched? If not that could be your issue.

Until resolved, I would use the individual drives or switch to the Intel SATA2 ports -- no HDD benefits from SATA3 anyway. You would have to rebuild the arrays of course.

I would also run memtest86 to insure that it is not due to memory issues, if none of the above are issues as a bad stick can cause file corruption only seen in large files.

RealBeast

Titan
I assume from your mention of the Marvell controllers you using onboard RAID. Are all of your drives RAID capable or are some of them green drives? Green drives have issues due to their frequent spin down. Also are the drives in each array matched? If not that could be your issue.

Until resolved, I would use the individual drives or switch to the Intel SATA2 ports -- no HDD benefits from SATA3 anyway. You would have to rebuild the arrays of course.

I would also run memtest86 to insure that it is not due to memory issues, if none of the above are issues as a bad stick can cause file corruption only seen in large files.

Solution

HFO

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Thank you for reply.

Most of disks are matched caviar blacks or matched barracudas which are connected to Ascrock X79.

But one RAID0 set connected to DZ68DB intel mainboard has a hetereogenous set of 3 Caviar blacks and 1 barracudas.

This set might be the cause of this problem.

No green drives in RAIDs.

I will run memtest as you recommend.

HFO

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
actually, after discontinuing overclocking,, there occurred no file errors yet.

The problem may be caused by calculation or file error caused by overclocking (4.2GHz Asrock predefined setting), but I am doing further testing.