Sign in with
Your question

Intel LGA775 heatsink won't right

Last response: in CPUs
May 7, 2010 11:34:18 PM

My new Intel LGA 775 CPU's fan/heatsink won't readily fit my new MSI G41M-P33 motherboard.
The pins/hooks seem too short, not reaching fully through the MB.
It is like the CPU bracket is too thick. I have removed the MB from the Frame to try and fit the fan that way, but to get all of the push down hooks locked through the motherboard, it seems to be way too much pressure, holding the MB bent.

Is it OK to bend a motherboard 2 to 3 mm (1/16" to 3/32") around a CPU?
Or am I heading back to the supplier??

More about : intel lga775 heatsink

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 8, 2010 12:44:17 AM

My guess is you don't have the CPU or retention bracket down all the way. Try reseating the CPU.

The stock CPU fans can be a pain. It is normal to have to apply some pressure down on the motherboard. Look at the 4 pins, and make sure they aren't locked. They twist to unlock. Once they are unlocked, push them in, and rotate again to lock them.
m
l
May 8, 2010 4:04:58 AM

aford10 said:
My guess is you don't have the CPU or retention bracket down all the way. Try reseating the CPU.

The stock CPU fans can be a pain. It is normal to have to apply some pressure down on the motherboard. Look at the 4 pins, and make sure they aren't locked. They twist to unlock. Once they are unlocked, push them in, and rotate again to lock them.

Thanks for your reply aford10,
Yep I had done all that. It just worried me how much fitting it bent the motherboard.
I took it back to the supplier to avoid risk of damage not being repaired under warranty.
He fitted it, hand shaking from the extreme pressure required, bending the motherboard about an 1/8th of an inch around the CPU and said he's happy with that.
Shaking my head here in disbelief.
He said every now and then you get one that's tight and motherboards are pretty tough.

We'll see.. lol

I think I'll look for an aftermarket cooling fan anyway.
Thanks again for your input :) 

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 8, 2010 4:12:00 AM

Sounds good. Thanks for the update.
m
l
!