Is this safe for a 3770k?

ptudia

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
I recently built a new computer, and decided that I wanted to overclock the CPU, as the WEI put it at 7.7, while all of the other components were at 7.9 (possible bottleneck fixed by overclocking?)

I used the ASrock motherboard Advanced Turbo 30 feature, which overclocks the board automatically, and it kicked up the core clocks from 3.5 GHZ to 4.7 GHZ.

These are the temperatures I got after about 10 minutes of Prime 95 Torture Testing:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12503421/www/images/cputemperatures.png

Are the CPU temperatures safe for long term use? If not, what temperatures are acceptable? I'd like the CPU to last around 5 years if possible.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Solution
I'd personally spend a few dollars and get a new cooler for that CPU as almost anything is going to outperform the stock heatsink if that's what you're using. Going over 80C isn't safe in my personal CPU manual. But some people have ran their processors that high or higher.

ASRocks automatic overclocking is pretty decent and sets up most of the settings you need for a decent clock. However, there's a lot of instances where it will push more voltage than is required which will result in higher temperatures.

Temperatures really don't affect the life of the processor as much as voltage can. Running 1.45v on that processor is probably a guaranteed way to have it last less than a year or two. I wouldn't run that thing much over...

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I'd personally spend a few dollars and get a new cooler for that CPU as almost anything is going to outperform the stock heatsink if that's what you're using. Going over 80C isn't safe in my personal CPU manual. But some people have ran their processors that high or higher.

ASRocks automatic overclocking is pretty decent and sets up most of the settings you need for a decent clock. However, there's a lot of instances where it will push more voltage than is required which will result in higher temperatures.

Temperatures really don't affect the life of the processor as much as voltage can. Running 1.45v on that processor is probably a guaranteed way to have it last less than a year or two. I wouldn't run that thing much over 1.2v if you're wanting it to last.

Solution

ptudia

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012

I now have it going 4.4 GHZ, and am getting 60-65 C during prime 95 testing.

Should I leave it here or squeeze a little more out?

Edit: I'm using the hyper 212 evo, and the 4.4ghz preset put the voltage at 1.248

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
That's nice! I hit 4.4Ghz at 1.25v as well and it was stable. I don't like fixed voltage so I experimented with offsets until I found the best stability at -0.025v and it maxes out at 1.295v and runs an average of 1.265v at load. I also passed 24 hours of Prim 95 blend and never broke 56C with that. :)