Possible OC Issue?

smokeyjon

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
Im not sure if this belongs in overclocking but im putting it there because I suspect my OC might be causing it

My specs:
AMD Athlon II X2 250 - OC'd to 3.4 MHz
2GB Ram
Gigabyte M3A76-CM
GeForce 8800GTS 320MB - OC'd to 612MHz Core Speed, 918MHz Memory (in afterburner)
Dell USB Keyboard and Logitech Wired USB Mouse

CPU Temps:
25-30 Idle, <45 Load

GPU Temps:
50-60 Idle, <80 Load
Celcius

My Problem:

Occasionally, after the computer has been on for a while, and at random times, my computer will start to act as if the down arrow is being held on the keyboard. I can't reliably reproduce the problem as it seems completely random, but it seems to have started since i OC'd my processor.

It' strange because if i open a folder in windows explorer or a document in Open Office I have the problem (sometimes, because its random) but while im having that problem if I open Chrome it doesn't scroll down like you would expect if the down arrow were held.

Common sense tells me to lower the clock speed until the problem is gone, but because I cant reproduce the problem on demand its a little more complicated, not to mention 3.4GHz over 3GHz seems like a reasonably small OC anyway, and seems very stable (BSOD at 3.5GHz i think after 20 minutes of Prime95, but ran Prime95 for about 3 hours at 3.4GHz with no problems)

I tried uninstalling my keyboard driver but that didn't seem to help

Im just wondering if anyone has had this problem and what you did to fix it?

EDIT: Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (I know 64-bit with 2GB RAM, but I'm planning on running more when I get the funds)

Solution
Hi, there is a similar issue reported some time ago, check it for the solutions discussed http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/53434-29-computer-thinks-ctrl-pressed.
However it would be wise to use an other keyboard for some time to see if the problem persists, and try using the PC without OC to see if the problem appears since you have that feeling its the OC's fault. It seems a bit unlikely to me though.

mike789

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hi, there is a similar issue reported some time ago, check it for the solutions discussed http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/53434-29-computer-thinks-ctrl-pressed.
However it would be wise to use an other keyboard for some time to see if the problem persists, and try using the PC without OC to see if the problem appears since you have that feeling its the OC's fault. It seems a bit unlikely to me though.

Solution

smokeyjon

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012

Hey thanks for the advice. Im gonna try to troubleshoot the problem asap. I agree, the OC doesnt seem like a likely culprit. the reason i suspected that is just because i started to notice the problem very soon after i oc'd. my keyboard is dell so it could be as simple as a loose connection inside (friggin dell, thank god my computer isnt lol)