Your question

New motherboard to revitalise my system - advice wanted

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
October 19, 2010 6:30:54 PM

Good afternoon All

I'm looking for a bit of advice, I've been out of the PC hardware game for a little while and I'm looking to upgrade my System.

AMD 64 X2 BE 5000
AX78 ABit motherboard
ATI 3870 X2 1GB
2GB DDR2 800mhz

It's going to be a staged upgrade, motherboard first, which motherboard would you recommend?
I'd like the motherboard to support CPU core unlocking (CPU upgrade is probably going to be a X3 of some sort and I'll try for a core unlock),
DDR3 and DDR2 RAM,
Ability to Overclock current and future processor,
nothing too fancy as I'm after maximum performance / cash ratio (or am i just tight, probably). Are there any motherboards that spring to mind?

Thanks in advance!

More about : motherboard revitalise system advice wanted

October 19, 2010 8:44:49 PM

Thank you for your recommendation I've had a quick look round, like I say I haven't really been in the home build market for a while, abit NF7 and athlon generation. What do you think of this motherboard, I'm thinking it is right in my spec/price points.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=N68C-GS%20U...

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/48898/Asrock-...

I'll be flicking the disable onboard GPU jumper for sure!

Any advice gratefully taken as always.

Related resources
a c 1189 V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 8:58:45 PM

I do not think it is the correct upgrade path and am not fond hybrid boards DDR2/DDR3 compatibility although Asrock has made a few of them. There is always something in the new technology they leave out.
Personally I think you are better of with what you have until you can buy something like AM3 CPU, Motherboard and DDR3 ram all at ones instead of a hybrid.
October 19, 2010 9:12:15 PM

I'd stick with what i have but the AX78 I have has serious problems with Windows7, the AHCI implementation(i think that is the problem, seems to be documented) just doesnt work, I've tried installing it on my main HD and a backup, no joy with either. I'll look for some reviews of the board you posted and have a bit more of a dig about the net about that Asrock board, looking in particular as you say at the hybrid will support ddr2/ddr3 and it seems most AMD processors, as you say it seems at that price with onboard sound, they must have scrimped on something!

Thanks again, any more recomendations would be great though.
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 10:22:15 PM

ALL this is a bad idea, save you money and buy compatible CPU/RAM/MOBO; otherwise your choices are severely limited and or Jerry-Rigged to work.
October 19, 2010 10:54:27 PM

jaquith said:
ALL this is a bad idea, save you money and buy compatible CPU/RAM/MOBO; otherwise your choices are severely limited and or Jerry-Rigged to work.

Highly recommend this path. You will be much happier with your purchase in the long run. Do you have a budget?
!