wilsamacgilsa

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I currently hav a GTS 250 512mb installed. I just brought a 1080p monitor and I dont think the GTS is powerful enough to max out games at this res. I was looking at different models of the GTX 285 and was wondering which make to go with. I have a 600w psu and thought about waiting for the fermi cards but I dont think I will be able to power it. So what card would be best for me to get? Thanks

AMW1011

Distinguished
The 5850 outperforms the GTX 285 pretty easily and comes in at a much nicer price.

perfrel.gif

The 5870 really spanks the GTX 285 for about the same or maybe a bit more money than the GTX 285.

The ATI 5xxx series provides you with eyefinity, DX11, and good performance for the money.

If you can't wait to see what Fermi will bring, then there is no reason not to get the 5xxx series in your price range.

ATI does not have poor drivers, they are no worse or better than nVidia's drivers. I only mention this because there is a lot of bias and misinformation stating otherwise out there, it simply is false.

If you absolutely MUST have a nVidia card and you must have it now even though you will be missing out on features and a good deal of performance, then I recommend that you look into the GTX 275 which can be had for far less than the GTX 285 and provides similar performance.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the 5850 or 5870 will draw less power than the GTX 285 or GTX 275, so if you are worried about your PSU...

Hope that helps.