Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gateway laptops at Best Buy ...

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 23, 2004 2:31:22 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I'm dangerously close to ordering an IBM R51 (I really want a T42 ...),
but I saw the Gateway 4520GZ in the Best Buy insert in this mornings
paper. The machine appears to be a slightly lobotomized M320 (Intel 705
CPU instead of 715), but with more memory and a larger disk than the
standard offering. At $1250, it's sure tempting.

The only thing I know about Gateway is that they recently had to close
their retail stores.

As to Best Buy, there are all sorts of horror stories, but most involve
them selling returned machines as new, and problems with their extended
warranties.

So, Best Buy's problems aside, what can you all tell me about Gateway's
laptops, or the M320/452x in particular?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@visi.com

More about : gateway laptops buy

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 23, 2004 2:31:23 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Bert Hyman" <bert@visi.com> wrote in message
news:Xns954DB2458852FVeebleFetzer@209.98.13.60...
> I'm dangerously close to ordering an IBM R51 (I really want a T42
> ...),
> but I saw the Gateway 4520GZ in the Best Buy insert in this mornings
> paper. The machine appears to be a slightly lobotomized M320 (Intel
> 705
> CPU instead of 715), but with more memory and a larger disk than the
> standard offering. At $1250, it's sure tempting.
>
> The only thing I know about Gateway is that they recently had to close
> their retail stores.
>
> As to Best Buy, there are all sorts of horror stories, but most
> involve
> them selling returned machines as new, and problems with their
> extended
> warranties.
>
> So, Best Buy's problems aside, what can you all tell me about
> Gateway's
> laptops, or the M320/452x in particular?
>
> --
> Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@visi.com

Gateway/eMachines is IMO somewhat risky. Gateway has historically sold
cutting-edge laptops with above average performance. OTOH, Gateway has
had significant reliability issues with some of their laptop line which
has been tempered by very good warranty service. That was prior to
their merger/buyout with eMachines. There is a usenet group
alt.comp.pc-clone.gateway2000 that you might scan for some idea of what
GW is all about currently.

Q
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 23, 2004 3:41:58 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In news:3L2dnUqGZa_mtbTcRVn-sg@comcast.com "Quaoar"
<quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:

> There is a usenet group alt.comp.pc-clone.gateway2000 that you might
> scan for some idea of what GW is all about currently.

Well, that was a depressing, but probably enlightening, experience.

The only traffic in that newsgroup was from folks trying to keep antique
Gateway machines running.

Of course, that ->could just mean that nobody has any troubles with their
new machines and hence no reason to post in the newsgroup.

But, how likely is that :-?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@visi.com
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 23, 2004 3:41:59 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

A quick way to identify better machines. They provide
comprehensive diagnostics for free. Gateway does not provide
this support - an indication that Gateway is going the same
way that Packard Bell went.

Look back at computer industry history. Both Commodore and
Packard Bell stayed in business only to enrich their
management - at the expense of creditors and stockholders.
Commodore even moved corporation off-shore to continue the
fraud. Gateway is looking more like they will follow in those
footsteps. It is a business technique that can occur over a
decade.

Bert Hyman wrote:
> In news:3L2dnUqGZa_mtbTcRVn-sg@comcast.com "Quaoar"
> <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:
> Well, that was a depressing, but probably enlightening, experience.
>
> The only traffic in that newsgroup was from folks trying to keep
> antique Gateway machines running.
>
> Of course, that ->could just mean that nobody has any troubles
> with their new machines and hence no reason to post in the
> newsgroup.
>
> But, how likely is that :-?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 23, 2004 4:55:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> As to Best Buy, there are all sorts of horror stories, but most involve
> them selling returned machines as new, and problems with their extended
> warranties.
>
> So, Best Buy's problems aside, what can you all tell me about Gateway's
> laptops, or the M320/452x in particular?
>

For what it's worth, I bought a Sony laptop at Best Buy with an extended
warranty from Best Buy. I don't normally do that, but this was for a kid
who is hard on equipment. 6 weeks after the purchase, the laptop developed
several issues and Sony would do nothing. Because of the extended warranty,
Best Buy gave me a complete refund.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 23, 2004 8:20:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

That sounds like typical Sony. I would never buy one without an extended
warranty.

"Joe Davis" <davisexpREMOVE@attglobal.net> wrote in message
news:XOlWc.31240$9Y6.13305@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> > As to Best Buy, there are all sorts of horror stories, but most involve
> > them selling returned machines as new, and problems with their extended
> > warranties.
> >
> > So, Best Buy's problems aside, what can you all tell me about Gateway's
> > laptops, or the M320/452x in particular?
> >
>
> For what it's worth, I bought a Sony laptop at Best Buy with an extended
> warranty from Best Buy. I don't normally do that, but this was for a kid
> who is hard on equipment. 6 weeks after the purchase, the laptop
developed
> several issues and Sony would do nothing. Because of the extended
warranty,
> Best Buy gave me a complete refund.
>
>
!