Powering WC pump?

G

im setting up my first liquid cooled rig and I'm trying to figure out how to hook up the Hydro Pulse 800 pump properly(not AC).

The users guide says not to hook the pump directly to my Mobo(may not supply enough power). The pump came with a 3 pin female plug coming from the pump, a 4 pin molex adapter with 3 plugs on it including: a female 3 pin plug with 2 wires (red and black), a female 3 pin plug with 1 wire (yellow), and a male 3 pin plug with all 3 wires... and i assume I'm connecting this to my Mobo's (MSI K9A2 platinum) cpu fan header.

i'm confused as to what goes where, will my mobo control the speed of the pump?

thanks in advance.
tw!st3d.WildECyote

Solution
I dont know enough about water cooling to be able to answer that maybe but I really have no clue I like the reliability of air cooling water cooling is good and all but its to unreliable for a system to be left on 24\7.

With fand yes that 3rd wire would read its RPMs so it probably does the same.
No the pump gets connected directly to the molex connector off your PSU it will run at same speed no matter what and it needs to. What does get connected to the motherboard is the fans for the radiator but this can all be connected directly thru molex if you like but you will probably want to be able to control the fan speed..

The Pump it self consumes almost 20 watts which is way more then you can get off of a fan header so do not connect it there you will probably fry something.

G

well there is a 3 pin connector with just a yellow wire, i think this would normally read the RPM on a fan, will it read the pump, so if the pump fails the computer will turn off

I dont know enough about water cooling to be able to answer that maybe but I really have no clue I like the reliability of air cooling water cooling is good and all but its to unreliable for a system to be left on 24\7.

With fand yes that 3rd wire would read its RPMs so it probably does the same.

Solution