Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Very odd noise with new build. Confused :(

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 18, 2010 5:54:09 PM

Hello all,

I just did my first real "ground-up" build, and have noticed a bizarre issue.

With the PC off and DVI cable connected (to the PC and the Monitor, which has power), I hear an annoying whine from the graphics card. Even if I unplug the computer's PSU from the wall and cycle the power switch (attempting to discharge) I still hear it as long as the DVI cable from the monitor is connected to the graphics card.

As soon as I disconnect the DVI cable (from either end) or unplug the monitor from the wall I no longer hear the sound.

It basically seems like whenever my monitor has power and is connected to the graphics card I hear the noise. Additionally, the noise goes away when I boot the machine. When shutting the machine off, the noise takes approximately 5-10 seconds to present.

Relevant Parts:
Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 Mobo
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770
Corsair TX850W PSU
Samsung SyncMaster P2370 Monitor

I'm very lost here and have been searching online for similar stories to no avail. All of the other GPU whine issues seem to be when the card is under load, but mine is only when the machine is off. :( 
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 18, 2010 7:26:05 PM

Well it's clearly the monitor making the noise. I guess something about its standby mode is causing the noise if it goes away when it is actually active.
February 18, 2010 7:39:20 PM

Could it be a grounding issue? Maybe i should disconnect everything and rebuild?
Related resources
February 18, 2010 7:53:17 PM

If you have a spare DVI cable, start by ruling that out. There's the possibility the cable may be picking up on some interference.
This could become especially noticeable if your monitor has speakers. Ran into this issue before, fixed it with a new cable.
Also could try a different power cable for the monitor. Rule out the cables first, since they'll be cheaper to replace.
Otherwise, you'll be looking for a new monitor.
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2010 8:04:22 PM

Is it like this by any chance,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4d23F2jehQ

Its the psu in these cases. The author of video proves it happens when demand is put on GPU.

edit: On your part its hard to differentiate where a sound emanates from. He seems to have isolated the psu outside the case to figure out what it was. inside your case , everything is basically on top of each other. Just wanted to say that the card is without load ,with no cable or monitor attached.
Anyways good luck.
February 18, 2010 8:08:45 PM

Hi notty, no demand on the GPU, the computer is off. :( 
tikrjee, I will try a spare cable
February 19, 2010 10:35:55 AM

Ok, definitely not the graphics card, sorry. I pulled the PSU out and plugged the DVI cable into the graphics card, and the sound was definitely coming from the PSU.

Additionally, when I plug the DVI cable in, the top case fan moves as if it is getting some juice.

Has anyone ever heard of this? How can a display cause this type of behavior when the PSU is not plugged in?
February 19, 2010 11:19:40 AM

more than likely there's an issue with the monitor's power. not only is this bad for the monitor, it could have adverse affects on the computer. This is part of the reason why most recommend turning on the monitor before turning on the tower to prevent any damage.
is the monitor plugged into a surge protector or battery backup?
if so, start by (again) swapping the power cable, this time on the monitor. Then, try a different surge protector (maybe even try a different wall outlet). if you're still getting the same results, get a hold of a new(er) monitor (borrow from a friend or buy a new one) and see if you get the same results.
Keep me posted, please. This one's got me interested :) 
February 24, 2010 6:22:54 PM

I RMA'd the Samsung P2370.

I picked up an Acer H233H which does not cause the noise (I tried unsuccessfully for about 20 minutes to get the noise happen with the new monitor - unplugging DVI, plugging back in, etc).

Not sure what could have caused it. The only thing I can venture to guess is since the Samsung had no "internal power supply" (it used your typical laptop brick) there could have been some issue with voltage going across the DVI cable (which would explain why the fans would jump when I plugged the DVI cable in, even when the PSU was unplugged and discharged).

Again, no problems with the Acer =)
February 24, 2010 6:26:22 PM

I realize how stupid my explanation sounds after reading it, but you have to see the back of the monitor to get what I was saying.

Basically, the laptop brick and the DVI cable both plug in next to each other. This could be me just inventing reasons, but it seems like there could easily have been a short between the connectors (since the plug in the monitor end isn't covered like a typically power-plug for a monitor). Again, just guessing, but I don't want to look like a total idiot with my explanation. :) 

Best solution

February 24, 2010 9:04:06 PM

jsng said:
I realize how stupid my explanation sounds after reading it, but you have to see the back of the monitor to get what I was saying.

Basically, the laptop brick and the DVI cable both plug in next to each other. This could be me just inventing reasons, but it seems like there could easily have been a short between the connectors (since the plug in the monitor end isn't covered like a typically power-plug for a monitor). Again, just guessing, but I don't want to look like a total idiot with my explanation. :) 

NAILED IT!
Good to hear you got it all sorted out, even if it did mean picking up a new monitor. Good news, though, is that if Samsung will replace the defective unit, you'll now have 2 monitors of awesome-super-widescreen-gaming-goodtimes :D 

In all seriousness, though
Normally when a system is making a noise like that (in your case), it's because either the monitor is not grounded properly, the cabling is not shielded properly (or damaged, but that's normally visible and/or on fire), or there's something wrong voltage regulation with the power unit of the monitor. I've seen it happen quite a bit with old CRTs and early (and some newer no-name) LCDs.
I've also heard similar sounds numerous times from motherboards in dying computers. Nothing like the smell of blown capacitors in the morning, I tell you what. A hiss that doesn't stop until power is terminated is a tell-tale sign of faulty power. For future reference :) 
February 25, 2010 6:01:16 PM

Best answer selected by jsng.
!