Sign in with
Your question

Power Consumption of my Rig?

Last response: in Components
May 8, 2010 3:07:17 AM

Right now i have a OCZ Fatal1y 550w with 38 amps on both 12v rails.

these things will be in my rig:

2 hard drives both at 7200 rpm
(Western digital 320 GB and Samsung 1TB)

one dvd drive (Lite-on)

Wireless-N PCI card

Asus U3S6 PCI-E x4 card in second PCI-e x16 slot

GTX 470 non OCed in first PCI-E x16 slot.

Phenom II 720 at 3.5 Ghz 1.42v

2 Sticks of G.skill Ram for total of 4 Gigs.

All of that on my Gigabyte ga-ma790fxt-ud5p Mobo.

Right now i do not have the GTX 470 in rig yet, there's a GTX 260 core 216 65nm instead, OCed.
There isn't the Asuz USB 3.0 card installed yet.

More about : power consumption rig

a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2010 3:58:10 AM

It should be able to run it but you will be pushing that PSU to its max with that card.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2010 4:01:20 AM

yeah. get any corsair 750 watt psu please
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2010 4:03:15 AM

Is that 38 amps the 12V combined amperage?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2010 4:04:41 AM

EXT64 said:
Is that 38 amps the 12V combined amperage?

It is combined so yea it is really cutting it close I would imagine. But should power since that equals to 450 watts nvidia claims it doesnt draw any more then 250 watts at full load and that is in extreme cases for gaming it would be somewhere around 175 200 watts which that PSU should have no problems feeding that card.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2010 4:06:15 AM

38 amps for each or 38 amps for both? look at the label. i would think a 500 watt psu would have 38amps combined or so! afaik its combined
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2010 4:08:28 AM

shovenose said:
yeah. get any corsair 750 watt psu please

Why tell the OP to get a new PSU when he really dont need one??? Yea corsair 750 watt would be nice but his PSU should be able to power that card. The OCZ Fatality series is a very solid unit.
m
l
May 8, 2010 4:10:35 AM

saaiello said:
Why tell the OP to get a new PSU when he really dont need one??? Yea corsair 750 watt would be nice but his PSU should be able to power that card. The OCZ Fatality series is a very solid unit.

yea, i don't really have the patience to take out the PSU, but i can do a GPU swap, that's about it.
m
l
May 8, 2010 4:11:35 AM

i found this off the Guru3d GTX 470 article:
"We'll now show you some tests we have done on overall power consumption of the PC. Looking at it from a performance versus wattage point of view, the power consumption is high, especially for the GTX 480.

The methodology is simple: We have a device constantly monitoring the power draw from the PC. After we have run all our tests and benchmarks we look at the recorded maximum peak; and that's the bulls-eye you need to observe as the power peak is extremely important. Bear in mind that you are not looking at the power consumption of the graphics card, but the consumption of the entire PC.

Our test system is a power hungry Core i7 965 / X58 based and overclocked to 3.75 GHz. Next to that we have energy saving functions disabled for this motherboard and processor (to ensure consistent benchmark results).

I'd say on average we are using roughly 50 to 100 Watts more than a standard PC due to higher CPU clock settings, water-cooling, additional cold cathode lights etc.

Keep that in mind. Our normal system power consumption is a little higher than your average system.

GeForce GTX 470

* System in IDLE = 205 Watts
* System with GPU in FULL Stress = 419 Watts
* Difference (GPU load) = 214Watt (TDP = 215W)"

hmm... you think i'm ok after all, i'm not exactly using an power-eating core i7, i got the 95w Phenom ii tricore...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2010 4:12:38 AM

Chronobodi said:
yea, i don't really have the patience to take out the PSU, but i can do a GPU swap, that's about it.

You should be fine I have that same PSU with 2 9800GTX heavily overclocked and an overclocked Q8200 and I haven't had a problem with it and been stable for months now.

Newegg a few months ago had them for 39.99 after mail in rebate and I couldn't pass up the deal I was gonna just sell it on ebay but found out how stable it was and never could bring myself to sell it.
m
l
May 8, 2010 6:11:34 AM

speaking of stability, what does that mean in general?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2010 12:44:27 PM

Well, it can mean a couple things. Literally, stability means that the computer does not crash due to hardware failure. However, most also take it to mean the CPU/etc. is accurate, as you can have a CPU/etc. that gives an incorrect calculation now and then yet does not crash/bluescreen.
m
l
!