Which is a pci-e x16 and an x8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin 71

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Hey, I'm moving my 5850 down a slot on my msi 790xt-g45 mobo... both the slots are the same size, pci-e 2.0, but I understand that one of the slots is x16 and one of them is x8... which is which?

Solution

{MSI} well that is the dumbest thing - what in the "heck" are they doing with (2)+ databases?! My assumption, "might be" that there are (2) models or MSI is really dumb. Prior to my post I looked at both Newegg + MSI; Newegg was vague/no lanes published.

On the "positive" side even an OC GTX 480 at peak will barely max an 8X lane. However, it is best to place the GPU in the closest PCIe slot to the CPU. If it is a question or concern over NB heat then it won't matter too much; instead get better airflow in the case...

{MSI} well that is the dumbest thing - what in the "heck" are they doing with (2)+ databases?! My assumption, "might be" that there are (2) models or MSI is really dumb. Prior to my post I looked at both Newegg + MSI; Newegg was vague/no lanes published.

On the "positive" side even an OC GTX 480 at peak will barely max an 8X lane. However, it is best to place the GPU in the closest PCIe slot to the CPU. If it is a question or concern over NB heat then it won't matter too much; instead get better airflow in the case. In particular a "Top" vented case is best; the heat will congregate towards the top {hot air rises}. A non shrouded {non spec} GPU requires good air flow period.

Yes, as long as the correct drivers are installed the GPU will be detected and install.

Q&A - "Which is which" -> Top {closest to CPU/Blue} PCIe is 16X, and Bottom {Blue} is 8X ; if the Global MSI link is correct.

Solution

Martin 71

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Hey, I found a Nb heatsink... But I'm worried about it not fitting... I have a cooler master Hyper 212 plus for a cooler, and I'm moving my 5850 to the x16 slot near the cpu. Am I going to have room? I'm hoping to get the thermalright hr-05.

No, 60C is not too hot for the NB, it is rated to an incredible 105C. However, 60C suggest to me poor case airflow.

Q - What Case?
Q - How many Case Fans are installed; e.g. 120mm front/in, 120mm rear/out, etc.?

Suggested Tests:
1. run Prime95 15 minutes with side panel off {post temps}
2. cool off/shut down 10 minutes
3. run Prime95 15 minutes with side panel on {post temps}

This is like a word puzzle:

1x140 mm [IN]
2x120 mm [OUT]
2x 80 mm [OUT]

140 [IN] < {2x120 + 2x80} or 400 mm [OUT] ; this is not good.

If it were 'my' rig ; I assume the case has a fail amount of meshing.
Top = 1x120 + 1x80 mm [OUT]
Front = 1x140 mm [IN]
CPU {rear} = 1x120 mm [OUT]
Panel {side} = 1x80 mm [IN]

{200 + 120} = 320 mm OUT > 220 mm IN = {140 + 80}

Post a picture of the case.

You want air intake at bottom/front and air exhaust at top/rear.
Side fans: if it's close to the bottom - intake, if it's close to the top - exhaust.
Total air out should be > total air in. That way you get negative pressure inside. Cases are not airtight and they can get flow through various openings. You don't want positive pressure in the case, will mess up the whole airflow setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.