RPINSC

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I am upgrading my video now. I have a wonderful mb, Abit IP35-Pro, Antec PS EA-650 (with only one PCI Exp power connections), oc intel q9550 and three monitors (two 17" and one 24"). I don't game, but I trade the markets daily and this requires many charts, trading rooms and live trade feeds. I currently have a pair of old Nividia GeForce 8600GT, 512, which work quite well, but I see the cursor moving slower when I am charting. I know I need to get up to 1gig and there are plenty to pick from. However, I have some basic questions:
Can I run a 24" monitor off one card w/o using my one PCI Express power connection? I do now.
I am not using this for gaming so what benefit would crossfire/SLI be?
Is there a splitter for that PCI Exp connector to use on both cards?
I assume the card with two monitors on it should utilize the PCI Exp connector, right?

I know this is a lot of questions, and I appreciate any input or questions you may have.
Ron

Solution
Any of the molex connectors may be used; they all carry +12V.
And, just for clarity, I read that your video cards are 8600GTs, but it looks like someone has introduced a typo to make them into 8800GTs, which you just repeated. Which is it?
And, how much RAM do you have? If it is less than 2GB, get more, especially before the price of DDR2 gets any higher. Make sure any new RAM is DDR2-800 that will run at its advertised timings on the JEDEC standard 1.8V.
Since you aren't gaming, you have no need for any more than something like a HD4650 (or even HD4350). Neither of them need auxilliary power.
The second PCIE slot on your mobo is only X4, but that shouldn't matter for non-gaming. I'd put the card attached to two monitors in the x16 slot though.

RPINSC

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Thanks for the input. My manual for the MB says:
"This motherboard provides dual PCI Express X16 slots for one or two graphics cards installations...Do not install only one PCI Express graphics card on slot 2, for such an act will pull its speed down to x4 only" Confusing, huh?

Currently, I am set up as you advised with current cards.

Do you have a preferred builder for the HD4650 or HD4350 cards?

The HD5450 can handle three monitors, but only if one of them uses a DisplayPort connection; I doubt his older monitors have that.

As to company, I usually buy HIS cards if they're ATi GPUs, but would also buy Asus, Sapphire, XFX or Visiontek. I will not buy Diamond or Jaton.

RPINSC

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
In looking for this card, HIS HD4650, 1gig, I only found one model (unavialable) with 2xDVI.
What is your opinion on the HD4670? A little more money but seems to be a faster card.
Finding these cards with 2xDVI is somewhat difficult.
I appreciate all the input, and will keep looking, but do want you feedback---thanks.

4745454b

Titan
The EA650 should have at least two connectors. My EA500 has two. I'm also not sure the new video cards will help with your problem. I'd start with a good cleaning of your machine, both physical and electrical? Get all the dust out, and make sure your system is running right.

If a graphics card has a pci-e power connector, then you must fill it. Do your 8600GT cards have one? If they do, you can get a twin 4 pin molex to 6-pin pci-e adapter which will be satisfactory. Like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812887001&cm_re=pci-e_molex-_-12-887-001-_-Product
Most graphics cards will come with one if needed. Use that on one card, and the native 6-pin pci-e connector on the other. Your psu is a good one with sufficient power to handle two such cards.
Do make certain that you have plugged in the 4 pin molex connector on the motherboard additional power connector. It gives the needed added power to the pci-e slots so the graphics cards can operate properly.

There is no value to crossfire/sli to you. It is a way to apply the power of two cards to one monitor, primarily for gaming at high resolutions.

Your two cards should be good. Any performance issues are likely elsewhere. What is the rest of your configuration?
Perhaps you do not have enough ram for all the open tasks.

You might want to consider changing out the 17" monitors to 24" which will give you more display acerage. Your video cards are adequate for that.

RPINSC

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010

Thanks for your insight. No, the 8800s do not have pci power connection. But I had completely forgotten about the 4 pin molex. I had replaced the psu, and someone did not plug a 12v back in. Now I'm concerned about my mental health. Would any of the 4-pin molex work, and are they all 12v?

Thank you for bring that to my attention.

Any of the molex connectors may be used; they all carry +12V.
And, just for clarity, I read that your video cards are 8600GTs, but it looks like someone has introduced a typo to make them into 8800GTs, which you just repeated. Which is it?
And, how much RAM do you have? If it is less than 2GB, get more, especially before the price of DDR2 gets any higher. Make sure any new RAM is DDR2-800 that will run at its advertised timings on the JEDEC standard 1.8V.

Solution

RPINSC

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010

8600GT, I missed that, maybe they are mailing me a new pair!!!!
2x2GB, DDR2-800 SDRAM, Corsair Dominator, Win 7 64bit

Thanks for catching that and your help
Ron

OOPS!! I just edited my post to reflect that the cards were 8600GT. Either way, I don't think the cards are the issue. You only need a high powered graphics card for fast changing images, like first person shooters, and lots of details. For traders, I think neither applies.

4gb of ram is probably OK. But... check the task monitor for ram usage and hard page faults to be certain.

RPINSC

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010

Yes I know, but these old cards don't. Just the MB for a molex.

TheAlin25

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Hy guys what do you think does An ATI hd 4670 gigabite 512gddr3,,,Amd athlon64 x2 7750,,,asus m2n-mx se plus,,,3gigs off ram 600 or 800mhz,,raidmax RX500 W real power and a hard of 160GB plus other vents dvd drive............etc DO you think this would be a good computer for playng my games and i mean like crysis, gta4 stalker not full graphics and resolution but medium or higher depends on the game. PLEASE reply cuz I want to build this pc.thank you oo one more thing is it capable to run pcsx2?thanx.

4745454b

Titan
Yes I know, but these old cards don't. Just the MB for a molex.

Sorry, post makes no sense. You have two PCIe video connectors, so you can run some CF/SLI setups or one large video card. I've also been asking you to make sure your system is clean so that its running well. Problems like you've mentioned could be because of throttling parts, either CPU or GPU.

RPINSC

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010

Yes, I know, but my current cards are standalone and do not allow/require. Sorry, if I wasn't clear. New cards are another matter. The throttling should only becoming from the GPU, and that's the reason for this hunt for new cards.
I use 3-4 monitors, and like DVI outputs--but don't game, just trade. The system is very well tuned except for these old cards. I'll be happy to post numbers, but didn't want to get into my overclocking efforts. I would guess that would be a different thread.

This weekend will be spent on shopping, and I do appreciate all the suggestions and recommendations. I would guess that most people are concerned with gaming and my request was somewhat light-weight, but important to me.
Thank you all

The OP doesn't need crossfire and the HD5670 only has one DVI the other outputs are a HDMI and a DP and those HDMI to DVI dongles can fall out depending on how and where the PC sits.
IMG_1818-copy-big.jpg