Sign in with
Your question

* Old computer that needs upgrade *

Last response: in Components
May 8, 2010 3:24:12 AM

I'm looking to upgrade the RAM on my computer. I have a :

-Gateway Pentium 4
-2 GHZ
-512 MB RAM ( 256 MB DDR 400 CL3 , 256 MB DDR 266 MHZ CL 2.5)
-Windows XP SP3

I know it's an old computer, but I just need it for internet browsing. What kind of RAM would help it run a little faster?

More about : computer upgrade

May 8, 2010 3:31:55 AM

Well right now you running to different speeds of RAM is hurting performance it will force the faster RAM to down clock to 266mhz. Go on ebay you can find DDR memory really cheap it should be able to handle up to 2 GBs I would look for 2 1 gig DDR 400 modules that will improve your performance alot 512mb its really the absolute min to run xp and it forces the computer to use its swap file off the hard drive more which kills performance.
m
l
Related resources
May 8, 2010 7:18:36 PM

saaiello said:
Well right now you running to different speeds of RAM is hurting performance it will force the faster RAM to down clock to 266mhz. Go on ebay you can find DDR memory really cheap it should be able to handle up to 2 GBs I would look for 2 1 gig DDR 400 modules that will improve your performance alot 512mb its really the absolute min to run xp and it forces the computer to use its swap file off the hard drive more which kills performance.

I really appreciate your help :) 
m
l
May 8, 2010 8:31:10 PM

saaiello said:

Do you feel it's worth it to spend $50 or $60 to upgrade an old systems RAM ?
m
l
!