Sign in with
Your question

Budget Gamer - Specifically For BF:BC2

Last response: in Systems
March 1, 2010 9:12:29 PM

I'm looking at upgrading an aging system specifically to be able to play Battlefield: Bad Company 2. My gaming time these days is VERY limited so I'm looking at upgrading as cheaply as possible in order to play BF:BC2. I'm used to having played games at medium settings so I don't need high-end stuff where I'm running everything on high but I'm looking to have as much eye candy as I can within a very limited budget.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP.
BUDGET RANGE: $400-$450 before rebates.
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: E-mail & surfing. gaming, recording a few TV shows.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Case, keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, power supply (I currently have an Antec case and an Ultra LS500 500W power supply I'm hoping will be sufficient for the new system).

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com but I also have a Microcenter local if deals are best there.
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference, more concerned with staying within budget.

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280X1024

A little background: I'm coming from a system I used mainly to play Battlefield 2: P4 2.66Ghz, 2GB RAM & Nvidia 7800GS 256MB AGP. I haven't gamed much in the last 18 months and during that time the PC has pretty much been used for e-mail, surfing and light DVR duty using a PVR-150 tuner card. I just had to purchase a replacement hard drive before learning I have a little money to see if I can upgrade and that drive had to be a PATA drive because my current motherboard doesn't support SATA. I will use that PATA drive as a backup drive in the new system.

The new system will be used exactly as the current one has been, with the exception I now have some limited gaming time and I'd like to be able to play BF:BC2. I know for a little more cash I can get something with more upgradability but the only real gaming in my future will be BF:BC2 so that is what I'm targetting to be able to play with medium settings.

From what I can ascertain I will need: MB, CPU, RAM, Video, SATA HD and SATA optical (although I rarely use my current DVD-RW so I can use my existing PATA drive for the time being, and honestly if it's not a huge performance hit I could use my new PATA HD for the time being as well) .

For reference I've listed the BF:BC2 system requirements...

Minimum:

Intel Core 2 Duo @2 GHZ
2 GB RAM
GeForce 7800 GT / ATI X1900 with 256 MB VRAM - DirectX 9

Recommended:

Quadcore
2 GB RAM
DirectX GeForce GTX 260/ ATI Radeon 4870 with 512 MB VRAM - DirectX 10

Thanks for any assistance. If I can find the right deal I can order parts immedately.

March 1, 2010 10:01:59 PM

A quick update...

I've had someone offer these parts to me...

Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe WiFi Edition Motherboard AM2+
AMD Athlon X2 6400+ 3.2GHz Black Box Edition
4GB of 800MHz Corsair RAM 5-5-5-18

All for $100+shipping!

It looks like the motherboard has a PCI slot I can use for the TV tuner and also has IDE to use my old HD, if nothing else as a backup drive.

If this is a good deal, will my 500W power supply be sufficient if I run a single video card? Assuming so, what's the recommendation on a mid-level video card that will run BF:BC2 decently?

m
l
March 2, 2010 8:28:38 AM

DigitalAssassin said:
A quick update...

I've had someone offer these parts to me...

Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe WiFi Edition Motherboard AM2+
AMD Athlon X2 6400+ 3.2GHz Black Box Edition
4GB of 800MHz Corsair RAM 5-5-5-18

All for $100+shipping!

It looks like the motherboard has a PCI slot I can use for the TV tuner and also has IDE to use my old HD, if nothing else as a backup drive.

If this is a good deal, will my 500W power supply be sufficient if I run a single video card? Assuming so, what's the recommendation on a mid-level video card that will run BF:BC2 decently?

Well, for a 100 bucks thats not bad.... how much is shipping? 100 bucks? Just wondering! The PSU, is it a good brand? Also, a GTX 260 should be fine to run Bad Company
m
l
Related resources
March 2, 2010 2:29:12 PM

I agree so far with going AMD for better value in the tight budget range. Your resolution is on the small side which will let you get away with a midrange GPU but if you plan on moving up to larger monitor in the near future, it would be a good ida to get a stronger videocard, at least a 5770.
m
l
March 2, 2010 5:15:04 PM

How would a GTS 250 be for BF:BC2 in conjunction with the CPU from above (AMD Athlon X2 6400+ 3.2GHz Black Box Edition)?

Microcenter has several 250s for ~$110 which is bit more to my budget since I looked at the specs on my power supply and I don't know that it's going to work for the new system so I probably need to factor in a new power supply as well which I think would cover everything I could possibly need to upgrade to ensure everything works together.

I did a quick look at Microcenter for a GTS250 (~$110), 500GB SATA HD (~$60), basic SATA DVD burner (~$30) and a basic 500W power supply ($50) and could get it all for ~$250, likely putting me right under $400 when you figure in taxes for Microcenter parts and shipping on the $100 MB/CPU/RAM deal.
m
l
March 2, 2010 7:04:02 PM

The 250 will do just fine at that price. I was going to suggest the 5750 which has a smaller power envelope and same performance but it appears that the price has gone up from the original plus if you are getting a newer power supply that point is moot.
m
l
March 3, 2010 7:54:12 AM

630 watts should be perfectly fine. Lol on the video card for everyone else's information, read his MOBO info please :kaola:  its an AM2 board w/ an Nvidia NB chipset. Also, i didnt know if you seen the "SLI" part of it? :whistle:  :D  ;) 
m
l
March 3, 2010 9:32:03 PM

I re-considered and researched what upping the budget $100 to $500 would get me....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/mamab9802/Newegg...

Any concerns with any of those items working OK together (i.e. power supply and MB/CPU)? The motherboard supports 2 PATA devices which is great because I can just move over my existing DVD burner (which I rarely use) and the 500GB PATA drive I bought a few months ago as a backup drive for the primary SATA drive.

This also basically only has me re-using my case and keyboard/mouse/monitor so everything else is new and under warranty. Think I can play BF:BC2 on medium with this new rig? I'll be happy if so.

With 3 day shipping my total comes in @ $492.
m
l
!