Best GPU using one card slot?

computererds

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Hey all,

I need some help here. I have a space limitation on my board as I need all 4 pci slots. The pci-e slots are to close to the pci to use most cards with their over-sized fans and still get my pci cards in.

I don't need any "get a new motherboard" posts, there are none that you can get with enough pci slots except these two with the same problem.

What I need to know is, what is the best card I can buy for myself that actually only takes one card slot? (internally and externally?) Prefer ati so i can get two and use the crossfire, but if one nvidia or something is better than 2 crossfired atis that fit the bill, that's good too.

Thanks in advance.

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
I'd got for the HD5670. It's pretty much the best single-slot solution out there now. Add in the fact it doesn't need a dedicated power connection and it's a sealed deal
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150467

ON the nVidia front, I'd go for a 9800GT. It's performance is on par with the 5670,
though, you'll end up trading Eyefinity and DX11 for PhysX.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150323
Single slot and doesn't require additional power connector. There's a couple like it, just have to make sure you look.

computererds

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Thanks everyone; 5670 it is.

I guess somewhat ironically, I had the 5670 that tikrjee linked to in my saved cart at newegg, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to miss out on anything better.

Thanks again everyone.

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009

I win! :D

I guess you win, too! Though, your prize is awesomer

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009

Damn it, I said "I Win!"
j/k. Yea, the 9800GT is more powerful. But it also draws more power, so there is that trade-off to consider too. More power=More heat
The 5670 does also bring Eyefinity (though, with this card, I'd limit it to office application usage), not to mention the whole slew of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD support for when you want to do more than game. Of course, there's DX11 (honestly, though, with the games that support ATM, it's not that big a deal until better driver support gives it a boost), and more of those titles are coming :D
Though, you do get PhysX support with the 9800GT, which I feel is an OK trade-off with DX11 (buyer beware: 9800GT does NOT support DX10.1, only DX10)
But the Home Theater potential and prospect of less-demanding DX11 titles in the future seal the deal for me

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009

Those cards may only have 1 PCI expansion slot taken up from the outside, but the coolers on (almost) all of the stick out far enough to block the adjacent slot, thus effectively making it a dual-slot card.

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009

Said "almost" all of them. I know there's a couple exceptions. Heck, some of the cheat and send the bulk to the backside of the card (crafty, no?)

computererds

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010

Wow-- that is lot to squeeze into one slot-- I suppose they made up for it in length :)

I would have checked that one out a bit more had I not already ordered the 5670, but really, I game little, hence the need fo the trade off-- i could get a sweet video card I will rarely use but I will use 8 processors and all my pci cards everyday, well not everyday, but I will do a lot more decryption than gaming.

Thanks all-- I can in all good conscience pick a best answer when there was more than one solid answer to my question, but I will say tikrjee won ;)