5870 or wait for new nvidia card?

kidnickels

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
ok i just ordered all the parts for a new gaming pc, including a xfx 5870.. now im reading about the new nvidia gt 100 card coming out and how its goin to smoke the 5870. so should i return the ati card and just wait for the nvidia one? and any projected price on it?

notty22

Distinguished
NO, your going to get your 400 dollars worth (5870), and if you have a new rig , you have to decide whether your going to leave it all idle or live with a inferior substitute for at least a month or longer. Which in the tech world is a long time. Unless you put the whole rig on hold, and who wants to do that ?

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
NVidia can't even seem to figure out when they're going to even have one out.
Last reports say they're not even breaking a 25% yield on production, and in order to turn a profit they'd have to sell each card well above $400. And that probably won't be until the latter half of the year anyway at this rate.
At that price, your best bet for a single card solution is the 5870. Keep it.

kidnickels

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
thanks guys ill stick with the 5870 now waiting for newegg to finish processing.. wont get here till next week and the wait is goin to kill me.. moven up from a amd 3500 and a gig of ram to a i7 860 sure it will be like night and day

if its urgent then take 5870 now. if not and you still have decent card to go right now maybe you can wait. btw even if nvidia manage to roll out the card in march/april expect the shortage in supply and in the end you may end up with 5870. your call :D