Psu wattage for i7

miboyfrend

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Hello,
i already have 460 watt cooler master realpower

my new rig is core i7 930;

2gb kingston ddr3 1333

GA-EX58-ud5 or asus rampage II gene at one price range or can i go for GA EX 58 uf3r or msi x58 pro E at another price level

i already have 9500 gt go upgrade a little later due to budget

i never overclocked and dont have that in mind

i already have haf 912 cooler master casing

g0tvtec

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
your PSU is just enough for your current rig but if you want to upgrade to a better video card (especially if its Nvidia) or go SLI/CF then you want something in the 650-750 range

shovenose

Distinguished
haha zipzoom, thats funny...LOL...
funny-pictures-cat-plots-to-get-cheeseburger.jpg

shovenose

Distinguished

oh. amd guess what!?
i just bought a coolmax 500w modular psu

my new rig is core2duo e6600

2gb wintec ampo ddr2 800

elitegroup g31 mobo

i already have a 6800 ultra pci-e go upgrade a little later due to budget!
LOL THIS IS ALL TRUE!

Coolermaster is known for really great pc cases. Unfortunately the same cannot be said of their power supplies. Their power supplies are not stellar performers. At best they are adequate.

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5000 series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency. On the other hand the top of the line 5970 video card and the new Nvidia Fermi use more power.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency. There are some models available which have achieved 80+ Silver and 80+ Gold Certifications.

TRENDING THREADS