Sign in with
Your question

Help choosing 120mm case fans

Last response: in Overclocking
December 22, 2012 8:56:16 PM

Getting a fan or 2 for my desktop, which one of these three 120mm fans is the best choice? All are priced almost the same.

CoolMax FAN Blue led
http://www.softland.com.sa/index.php?route=product/prod...

Thermaltake Thunderblade Fan

Cooler Master Blue LED Silent Fan

Thanks
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 9:08:37 PM

A bit broad for a question...are you looking for which one will be quiet? Which one will have the greatest cfm? Or the well balanced one?
m
l
December 22, 2012 9:33:15 PM

Hey socialfox! Glad to see you around! Really the main purpose is just for lighting up the front bezel area, cool looks that's it. I know nothing of fans really, except that they blow air.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 9:46:39 PM

Okay for your purpose, I'm going to narrow it down to the Thunderblade and Sickleflow. Forget Coolmax, they are not really a good brand.

Edit: Gave it some thought, I am leaning a bit towards the thunderblade. I have them on my radiator and it works quite well. Gave me a nice cut a few months ago when I tried to stop it :lol: 

Edit 2: Okay forgot to add, they are on the noisy side though...the sickleflow is still a viable option, my reason for the thunderblade was preference since I owned it, others may not agree though but like I said it was my preference. In truth, I don't own Sickleflows but from what I hear they are good.

So now my friend, pick your choice of the two :) 
m
l
December 22, 2012 9:52:52 PM

Sounds good alright, I'm thinking the Sickleflow will be a good pick? The vendor selling the Sickleflow also has a special offer on the non-LED Cooler Master fans and they ship for less...

I guess I answered my own question!

EDIT: Ah alright I see your EDIT, any specific reasons for leaning towards the Thunderblade? Maybe they'll work better as my case is a Thermaltake as well? :lol: 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 9:54:09 PM

Read my post again, I edited it.
Anyways I thought you wanted the LEDs for the front?
m
l
December 22, 2012 9:55:22 PM

Yes 1 LED fan for the front only, 2 non-LED fans on the top and bottom mounts of the case. My case already comes with 1 LED fan at the rear so no need.

EDIT: You may remember me in the PM, we were talking about the FX-4300, gotta prepare that s**t for the heat haha! :lol: 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 9:59:52 PM

Forde3654Eire said:
Yes 1 LED fan for the front only, 2 non-LED fans on the top and bottom mounts of the case. My case already comes with 1 LED fan at the rear so no need.

EDIT: You may remember me in the PM, we were talking about the FX-4300, gotta prepare that s**t for the heat haha! :lol: 

Of course I remember you :) 
And don't worry, with that many fans your build will be cool. Just try to achieve higher cfm for all the intakes when compared to the exhaust fans. Positive pressure will keep the dust away.
m
l
December 22, 2012 10:00:06 PM

Oh I checked the noise levels of the 2 on Newegg. The Thunderblade is at 21 dB OUCH while the Sickleflow is at 9 dB!

Ok Sickleflow it is!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 10:02:04 PM

Forde3654Eire said:
Oh I checked the noise levels of the 2 on Newegg. The Thunderblade is at 21 dB OUCH while the Sickleflow is at 9 dB!

Ok Sickleflow it is!

Hahaha :lol: 
Like I mentioned above the thunderblades are a bit on the noisy side. I mean they do call it THUNDER for a reason :kaola: 
m
l
December 22, 2012 10:04:28 PM

Alright so that's one Sickleflow, however I have no idea how the much cheaper non-lit ones will perform... as I said, I do not want too much lighting.
m
l
December 22, 2012 10:07:12 PM

socialfox said:
Of course I remember you :) 
And don't worry, with that many fans your build will be cool. Just try to achieve higher cfm for all the intakes when compared to the exhaust fans. Positive pressure will keep the dust away.

Ah alright that definitely solves my question! I am planning to put the non-lit fans as exhaust fans, and they do indeed have lower CFM... so there we go! And the blue LED fan I already have hardly even exhausts air out so another win! :lol: 
m
l
!