Sign in with
Your question

Problem putting in my CPU

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 8, 2010 9:46:36 AM

Hi!
Just figured i needed to clean my computer from dust.
I removed the heatsink and fan on my intel q6600, cleaned it up and so on.
Now I cant put it back, I have the manual but it just shows to put back the four sticks into the four holes on the mothercard.
However, the sticks has like arrow thingys on the ends and those are slightly pointing out, and they seem to not go into the hole.
I could like squeeze the two things together and they will form more of a sharp pointy thing but as soon as I release them they go out again and doesnt fit into the holes.
What should I do?

The mothercard is a p35 MSI Neo.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks

More about : problem putting cpu

a b à CPUs
May 8, 2010 9:57:51 AM

Ahh the old push pin problem. Ok the pins are made up of two parts - the outer clear plastic part and the inner black section.

If you gently pull the black section up towards the top of the HSF you will see the clear section narrow and then be able to fit it into the holes on the motherboard. Makre sure when you re-attached the HSF to push down on the black plastic tops to again widen the pins and turn them to lock them in place.
May 8, 2010 10:05:40 AM

ulysses35 said:
Ahh the old push pin problem. Ok the pins are made up of two parts - the outer clear plastic part and the inner black section.

If you gently pull the black section up towards the top of the HSF you will see the clear section narrow and then be able to fit it into the holes on the motherboard. Makre sure when you re-attached the HSF to push down on the black plastic tops to again widen the pins and turn them to lock them in place.

Yeah I managed to get it to work! Thanks! =)
Anyways, even if I did all that, widen the pins n locked them by turning them, could the HSF be wrong in some way?
Cuz at first the fan sounded really rusty and old :p  it sounds normal now but is there any chance that the HSF isnt properly in place even if I did everything as you and the manual said?
a c 172 à CPUs
May 8, 2010 1:22:03 PM

Best way to check is to examine the back of the motherboard. Unfortunately, by the time that particular problem comes up, the motherboard is usually mounted in the case, and most cases do not have a cutout below the CPU socket.
!