Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to OC 6850 beyond limit

Last response: in Overclocking
a c 79 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2012 12:55:02 AM

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to overclock my XFX Radeon HD 6850 Black Edition beyond the clock limits in AMD Overdrive and MSI Afterburner. There seems to be quite a bit of headroom available; I haven't had to adjust voltage at all.

I did try enabling MSI Afterburner's unofficial overclocking, which raised the clock limits as expected, but then it wasn't accepting the clocks I would input. Apparently that's a known issue; I found some threads suggesting solutions, but nothing that I could get to work. One was adding a .dll file to the afterburner folder, but that led to severe glitching, my screen would flicker and behave oddly.

More about : 6850 limit

a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2012 2:48:04 AM

You might need to raise your voltage or lower you clocks. Every chip is different. If that does not work, try new software.
m
l
a c 79 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2012 11:30:54 AM

melikepie said:
You might need to raise your voltage or lower you clocks. Every chip is different. If that does not work, try new software.

Didn't you read my post? :heink: 
There is an artificial limit to what clocks I can input in AMD Overdrive or MSI Afterburner. The card is happy to overclock to this limit, and I'm asking how I can remove that cap so I can input higher clocks.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
December 23, 2012 11:46:00 AM

http://wccftech.com/article/gpu-overclocking-utilities/
Although Afterburner is top of that list :p 
what about breaking into its code to raise the ceiling?
Moto
a c 79 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2012 9:49:14 PM

Motopsychojdn said:

what about breaking into its code to raise the ceiling?

Well I did the best I could, editing a configuration file to enable unofficial overclocking. That raises the limit as it should. But then MSI Afterburner stops accepting the clocks I input, it just drops to zero instead (whether or not I go above the normal clock limit, in this case 875 MHz core). I was hoping someone knew how to fix that problem; I tried another "solution" to that problem but like I said, it ended up giving me flickering and display bugs of whatever kind. And that was just sitting idle on the desktop, I don't even want to think about what running a game or stress test would have done to my GPU.
m
l
a c 79 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 5, 2013 12:36:35 PM

Best answer selected by Sakkura.
m
l
!