Memtest failing

poosie

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Hi, I have 4 slots of ram, totaling of 6 gigs. They are ddr2-6400 and my motherboard is asus ipibl-lb. When I run the hp diagnostic test, the memory test passes, but when I run memtest86 from a cd, it usually gives me a fail in test #3 or #2 around 90%-93%.

It boots up fine, but sometimes when I am playing videos it gets choppy and the whole computer crashes and starts giving me a hard time to boot up after the crash. Also putting in two or more sticks and running memtest makes the computer reboot.

I have tried taking out all the sticks and running each stick individually. It still gave the error, so I tried testing individual sticks on each slot, and I still get the error. Does anyone know why this is happening? I will try brand new ddr2 ram tomorrow to see if all the sticks have broken. Thanks!

poosie

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
This is an oem computer, so the voltage shouldn't be a problem. (Everything is stock) Right now I am only on 2 x 2, I think one of the 1 gb sticks are bad. Thanks for the advice, I will try to boot from the hard drive. Is it possible all my sticks have died?

^ It sounds more like you are Mix-Matching your RAM without checking if the RAM is either Certified or Tested for your MOBO/PC.

Also, each Matched {SET} needs to be placed together in 'it's' Channel.

Example:
DDR_DUAL.jpg

poosie

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010

Pretty sure they are correct, because it came like this from HP. It did not have any problems until lately, especially when I play streaming videos. Should I upgrade my power supply along with my video card? Thanks.

Yes, depending on what GPU you choose you will need to upgrade to a new PSU which will hopefully fit in the HP case that you have.
And no, it is not necessary that HP did put the Memory in the way it was supposed to be. Even though it may have the largest market share in the world of PCs, it is not the best when it comes to making them, :). I don't know a single person who hasn't had a problem with his HP PC or Laptop after 1 and a half year of use..... :(
Not talking about user who switch there PC's on for like half an hour a day and give it a break on Sundays though :)

HP has had a slue of bad sticks, and I'm currently helping another where their system clock is running 60x seconds->minutes.

I would isolate the 2X1GB {slots 1+2} and run Memtest {2 passes}, pull the 1GB and place the 2X2GB in {slots 3+4} and rerun Memtest. In doing so you are both testing the RAM & Slots.

A 'bad PSU' would have other tell tale signs like shutting down, BSOD, etc and similar erratic behavior. I know HP uses 'cheap' PSUs and if you replace I would recommend Corsair or any PSU with 1 Rail & Japanese capacitors.

If you current GPU uses shared memory -> bad RAM then CLEARLY it won't remedy the problem.

My recommendation would be to FIRST find & replace the bad RAM. Once that's corrected then start buying stuff.

Good Luck!

poosie

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Thanks for the reply. The thing is, when I have two or more sticks in, memtest crashes, and when I isolate one stick, it gives me errors. I get the image that all my sticks are bad, but it seems to only crash when I watch videos, and then it has trouble restarting unless it cools down for a bit. It might be that my video card is bad and overheats? Thanks for the reply!

TRENDING THREADS