Thief 3 Getting up to the roof...!!!!

Last response: in Video Games
June 24, 2004 12:25:25 AM

Maybe I am not playing the games correctly but I can't seem to get
into many of the higher places like rooftops etc...

To date I have been through the underground tunnels, then into the
Hammerite church and now am about to enter the library in the next
level,, yet,, I feel sure I should have be given the opportunity to
climb up onto some of the out of the way ledges and rooftops but I
just can't seem to be able to find them. For some reson I don't seem
to be able to jump from balcony to balcony either, instead falling to
the streets below,, most noticably from the tavern to the adjacent
house in the area/map just north of Garrett's home. Is this normal or
do I just need more practise.. T1 and 2 were easy...

Are there any rope arrows in this game..???
Are there as many hidden areas as in past episodes of Thief..???

I appear to be getting about 80% of the available loot per level with
the highest being 96% from either the pagon tunnels or the Hammerite
church - I can't remember which,,, yet,,, apart from "special loot", I
can't find any hidden areas like before...

I have almost completely settled into Thief 3 but again it still feels
wanting for a bit more of the "good old stuff" from its
predeccessors...

Anyway,, time to get back to the game for the evening...

Cheers all...

More about : thief roof

Anonymous
June 24, 2004 12:25:26 AM

"Bruce Tyler" <top@bottom.au> wrote in message
> Maybe I am not playing the games correctly but I can't seem to get
> into many of the higher places like rooftops etc...
>
> To date I have been through the underground tunnels, then into the
> Hammerite church and now am about to enter the library in the next
> level,, yet,, I feel sure I should have be given the opportunity to
> climb up onto some of the out of the way ledges and rooftops but I
> just can't seem to be able to find them. For some reson I don't seem
> to be able to jump from balcony to balcony either, instead falling to
> the streets below,, most noticably from the tavern to the adjacent
> house in the area/map just north of Garrett's home. Is this normal or
> do I just need more practise.. T1 and 2 were easy...

There are only a few places AFAICR where you can get to the rooftops. The
city is big enough to enjoy just runnin about causing trouble for the
locals, and i never really got tempted to look. You may find more, i dunno.

> Are there any rope arrows in this game..???

Nein. The climbing gloves are a suitable replacement.

> Are there as many hidden areas as in past episodes of Thief..???

Theyre harder to spot than in previous games, but there are a few. Probably
not as many as T2.

> I appear to be getting about 80% of the available loot per level with
> the highest being 96% from either the pagon tunnels or the Hammerite
> church - I can't remember which,,, yet,,, apart from "special loot", I
> can't find any hidden areas like before...
>
> I have almost completely settled into Thief 3 but again it still feels
> wanting for a bit more of the "good old stuff" from its
> predeccessors...

Well it's Thief :o )
Yeah, there are a few minor changed, and maybe a couple of major ones, but I
for one think that Ion Storm got most it it right with the pressure they
must have been under.

> Anyway,, time to get back to the game for the evening...

Game?

> Cheers all...

Cheers!
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 12:25:26 AM

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 20:25:25 +1200, Bruce Tyler <top@bottom.au> wrote:

>Maybe I am not playing the games correctly but I can't seem to get
>into many of the higher places like rooftops etc...

I can't say that I have reached the rooftops, but I did finally manage
to get above the pagans once in the pagan sanctuary.

Until then I had not had much luck moving vertically in any area.
Though there was the beams above the high priest's bookcases, which
led outside where I could climb down. But for some reason I couldn't
manage to climb up again.

>To date I have been through the underground tunnels, then into the
>Hammerite church and now am about to enter the library in the next
>level,, yet,, I feel sure I should have be given the opportunity to
>climb up onto some of the out of the way ledges and rooftops but I
>just can't seem to be able to find them. For some reson I don't seem
>to be able to jump from balcony to balcony either, instead falling to
>the streets below,, most noticably from the tavern to the adjacent
>house in the area/map just north of Garrett's home. Is this normal or
>do I just need more practise.. T1 and 2 were easy...

Again in the sanctuary I was able to jump across from beam to beam and
from pipe to porch. I sure enjoyed having the chance to work in 3
dimensions.

--
Thanks
Verne

"Cookie McCrumble" <cookiemccrumble@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä

> "Bruce Tyler" <top@bottom.au> wrote in message
> > Maybe I am not playing the games correctly but I can't seem to get
> > into many of the higher places like rooftops etc...
> >
> > To date I have been through the underground tunnels, then into the
> > Hammerite church and now am about to enter the library in the next
> > level,, yet,, I feel sure I should have be given the opportunity to
> > climb up onto some of the out of the way ledges and rooftops but I
> > just can't seem to be able to find them. For some reson I don't seem
> > to be able to jump from balcony to balcony either, instead falling to
> > the streets below,, most noticably from the tavern to the adjacent
> > house in the area/map just north of Garrett's home. Is this normal or
> > do I just need more practise.. T1 and 2 were easy...
>
> There are only a few places AFAICR where you can get to the rooftops. The
> city is big enough to enjoy just runnin about causing trouble for the
> locals, and i never really got tempted to look. You may find more, i
dunno.

I think the City feels cramped, linear and disappointing, because the
far too small to give you any sense of being in the City.

You're right about the lack of places where you can get to the Thieves
Highway, i.e. the rooftops. There are a couple of official places to get to
the rooftops, and in several other places you can climb to the rooftops only
to find yourself off the map (and crashing the game). You're pretty much
confined to the street level in this game, which is really disappointing.

> > Are there any rope arrows in this game..???
>
> Nein. The climbing gloves are a suitable replacement.

I hate them. I don't think they're a suitable replacement at all. They
feel like a replacement for the rope arrows, hacked together in panic, when
they realized (according to the devs) that they simply couldn't get the rope
arrow to work, and they had to give the players something else. There are
references to the rope arrow in the game's .ini -files, so they have
probably been in the game during the development, but ultimately they've had
to give up. The gloves are a 'last-minute' addition to the game, and it
shows. I don't generally call for realism in games, because realism doesn't
equate to enjoyable gameplay, but climbing gloves are just a half-witted
idea. I know the Spiderman comparison has been made a thousand times and
it's getting old, but that's what I felt like climbing on walls with no
apparent grooves, protrusions or anything that I could conceivably grab a
hold on.

There are few places where the gloves are actually needed, and apart from
those they are totally unnecessary.

> > Are there as many hidden areas as in past episodes of Thief..???
>
> Theyre harder to spot than in previous games, but there are a few.
Probably
> not as many as T2.

This game feel far more linear than its predecessors, largely because the
unnecessary traversal between the zones would be kept to the minimum.
Consequentally, you don't have to look for things that you need for very
long, and things are easy to find. There's less sense of exploration than
in previous titles. You cannot really get lost because the zones are small
and quickly cased for loot and other objects, and then you just move on.
There some secret areas, but not many.

> > I appear to be getting about 80% of the available loot per level with
> > the highest being 96% from either the pagon tunnels or the Hammerite
> > church - I can't remember which,,, yet,,, apart from "special loot", I
> > can't find any hidden areas like before...
> >
> > I have almost completely settled into Thief 3 but again it still feels
> > wanting for a bit more of the "good old stuff" from its
> > predeccessors...

I felt exactly the same.

> Well it's Thief :o )
> Yeah, there are a few minor changed, and maybe a couple of major ones, but
> for one think that Ion Storm got most it it right with the pressure they
> must have been under.

I must say again, that despite my criticism, I still loved the game. Even
with some of the glaring omissions and faults, Thief: Deadly Shadows still
is a unique gaming experience, and very different from anything on the
market. I'm only very disappointed in that without the Xbox dictated
constraints the game could've been truly an amazing experience, the best in
gaming, rising above its predecessors. I can only imagine what the City and
the missions would've been like without the loading zones breaking up the
flow of the gameplay, the immersion and the sense of real exploration and
space.

In Thief II, one of my favorite missions is Shipping....and receiving,
probably because it had such an impact for me when I first played it. I
loved the ambient sounds in it, and it offered a large area to explore. Of
course, there are much better missions in Thief II, like the legendary "Life
of the Party" or "First City Bank and Trust", but I have fond memories of
this one. There's nothing in Thief: DS that comes close to the size of that
mission.

The good thing about TDS is that it undeniably feels like Thief. It looks
fabulous, I think, and the AI barks are hilarious. I laughed out loud so
many times during the game, and smiled or snickered almost all the time
listening to the AIs.

I'm about to replay the game, having finished it a couple of days ago.
Let's see what the replay value is. I've replayed Thief Gold and Thief II
countless of times, and never seem to grow tired of them. Somehow I doubt
that TDS will be able to offer me the same, but I'll reserve judgement until
I've actually replayed it.

- Mika L