Widescreen video card for Dell Dim 4700?

Hello!

I'm looking for a cheap PCI-express video card for a Dell Dimension 4700. It's built-in intel video chipset only supports 4:3 aspect ration, and I want to get a new 19 or 20" widescreen monitor. I AM NOT A GAMER AND DO NOT CARE ABOUT THOSE SPECS. I'm talking Word and Excel here, and the occasional movie. 128 to 256 MB should be fine, directX 9 or higher. It'll be running under Windows XP SP3 with no thought of upgrading to 7. I just want a cheap card that will support 1600 x 900 res widescreen monitors.
9 answers Last reply
More about widescreen video card dell 4700
  1. HD5450.
  2. According to the dell support site that machine has a Intel 915G chipset. It uses a GMA 900 graphics adapter. According to the Intel web site the GMA 900 has a max resolution of 2048x1536 @ 85Hz.

It is possible that you are only shown 4:3 ratio resolutions because that is the type of display you have connected.

Try connecting a larger display for testing purposes.

Or go with shadow187's answer if you must have a new card. That machine does have a single PCIex16 port. If it as available then that card will work.
  3. shadow187 said:
    HD5450.

Great, thanks for an actual card suggestion. Could you help further and point me to a spec sheet for this which actually lists the display modes and resolutions? Not just the "max res" but ALL display res's? That would be super helpful.
  4. JasonAkkerman said:
    According to the dell support site that machine has a Intel 915G chipset. It uses a GMA 900 graphics adapter. According to the Intel web site the GMA 900 has a max resolution of 2048x1536 @ 85Hz.

It is possible that you are only shown 4:3 ratio resolutions because that is the type of display you have connected.

Try connecting a larger display for testing purposes.

Or go with shadow187's answer if you must have a new card. That machine does have a single PCIex16 port. If it as available then that card will work.

No, the Dell Dimension 4700 uses the 910GL chipset, not the 915G. It supports 4:3 aspect ratio displays ONLY. I'm not surprised Dell's support site is wrong - it wouldn't be the 1st! Guess I still need card suggestions, and will start with shadow187's suggestion.

FYI: The monitor I am trying with it is a 20" widescreen LG W2053TX. Its stated optimal resolution is 1600 x 900. When I turn the Dell on, the monitor pops a firmware note up saying i should really change my res to that.

In the Displays control panel, my monitor choices are the generic/default plug-n-play monitor and, yes, the LG is listed right there as choice 2. It is properly identified and everything - woot. I pick it. I go to the settings panel. It lists only 4:3 aspect ratio options. Advanced settings tabs within that Cp do not have options for widescreen anything.
  5. cornfreak said:
    Great, thanks for an actual card suggestion. Could you help further and point me to a spec sheet for this which actually lists the display modes and resolutions? Not just the "max res" but ALL display res's? That would be super helpful.

Quote:
    ATI Radeon™ HD 5450 GPU Feature Summary

* 292 million 40nm transistors
    * TeraScale 2 Unified Processing Architecture
    o 80 Stream Processing Units
    o 8 Texture Units
    o 16 Z/Stencil ROP Units
    o 4 Color ROP Units
    * DDR3/DDR2 memory interface
    * PCI Express 2.1 x16 bus interface
    * DirectX® 11 support
    o Shader Model 5.0
    o DirectCompute 11
    o Programmable hardware tessellation unit
    o Accelerated multi-threading
    o HDR texture compression
    o Order-independent transparency
    * OpenGL 3.2 support1
    * Image quality enhancement technology
    o Up to 12x multi-sample and super-sample anti-aliasing modes
    o Adaptive anti-aliasing
    o 16x angle independent anisotropic texture filtering
    o 128-bit floating point HDR rendering
    * ATI Eyefinity multi-display technology2,3
    o Three independent display controllers
    + Drive up to three displays simultaneously with independent resolutions, refresh rates, color controls, and video overlays
    o Display grouping
    + Combine multiple displays to behave like a single large display
    * ATI Stream acceleration technology
    o OpenCL Support1
    o DirectCompute 11
    o Accelerated video encoding, transcoding, and upscaling4,5
    + Native support for common video encoding instructions
    * ATI CrossFireX™ multi-GPU technology6
    o Dual GPU scaling
    * ATI Avivo HD Video & Display technology7
    o UVD 2 dedicated video playback accelerator
    o Advanced post-processing and scaling8
    o Dynamic contrast enhancement and color correction9
    o Brighter whites processing (blue stretch)10
    o Independent video gamma control10
    o Dynamic video range control
    o Support for H.264, VC-1, MPEG-2, and Adobe Flash11
    o Dual-stream (HD+SD) playback support12,13
    o DXVA 1.0 & 2.0 support
    o Integrated dual-link DVI output with HDCP14
    + Max resolution: 2560x160015
    o Integrated DisplayPort output
    + Max resolution: 2560x160015
    o Integrated HDMI 1.3 output with Deep Color, xvYCC wide gamut support, and high bit-rate audio
    + Max resolution: 1920x120015
    o Integrated VGA output
    + Max resolution: 2048x153615

o 3D stereoscopic display/glasses support16
    o Integrated HD audio controller
    + Output protected high bit rate 7.1 channel surround sound over HDMI with no additional cables required
    + Supports AC-3, AAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats
    * ATI PowerPlay™ power management technology7
    o Dynamic power management with low power idle state
    * Certified drivers for Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/hd-5450-overview/Pages/hd-5450-specifications.aspx
  6. See my reply in your other thread regarding this same issue.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/281709-33-widescreen-video-card-dell-4700

+++++++++++++++++++++

There is no need to make multiple posts especially since only 10 minutes past between this thread and your original thread.

All you need to do is simply respond to your own thread with:

** BUMP **

to bring your thread to the top.

+++++++++++++++++++++
  7. cornfreak said:
    No, the Dell Dimension 4700 uses the 910GL chipset, not the 915G. It supports 4:3 aspect ratio displays ONLY. I'm not surprised Dell's support site is wrong - it wouldn't be the 1st! Guess I still need card suggestions, and will start with shadow187's suggestion.

FYI: The monitor I am trying with it is a 20" widescreen LG W2053TX. Its stated optimal resolution is 1600 x 900. When I turn the Dell on, the monitor pops a firmware note up saying i should really change my res to that.

In the Displays control panel, my monitor choices are the generic/default plug-n-play monitor and, yes, the LG is listed right there as choice 2. It is properly identified and everything - woot. I pick it. I go to the settings panel. It lists only 4:3 aspect ratio options. Advanced settings tabs within that Cp do not have options for widescreen anything.

Sorry my information wasn't much help.

Dells website does list the D4700 as using a 915G chipset as seen on page 91 of this document.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/en/om/Y69490LRs.pdf

Even if you are sure that your machine uses a 910GL it still shouldn't matter as both chips use the same GMA 900 video controller according to Wikipedia, and this Intel document as described on pages 29 and 30.

http://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/30146705.pdf

For a bit more reading here is a different Toms Hardware thread that address your same problem. Although no solution was ultimately found the same advice I gave you was given to the OP.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/53522-3-widescreen-graphics-card-compatibility

I might suggest though that you spend your money on a complete system upgrade. Check out SlickDeals.net from time to time and you can find some good deals on refurbished, or open box items.

If you are set on buying a new card here is a link to a thread on SlickDeals that has an ATI 5450 for $35 after a $10 mail in rebate.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1873790

GL
  8. jaguarskx said:
    See my reply in your other thread regarding this same issue.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/281709-33-widescreen-video-card-dell-4700

+++++++++++++++++++++

There is no need to make multiple posts especially since only 10 minutes past between this thread and your original thread.

All you need to do is simply respond to your own thread with:

** BUMP **

to bring your thread to the top.

+++++++++++++++++++++

The double-post was an oops. I posted, got my new account confirmation email, then a message from the site saying I could post after confirming the new account. So I hit SUBMIT again, not having seen it was already there. Newbie mistake.
  9. JasonAkkerman said:
    Sorry my information wasn't much help.

Dells website does list the D4700 as using a 915G chipset as seen on page 91 of this document.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/en/om/Y69490LRs.pdf

Even if you are sure that your machine uses a 910GL it still shouldn't matter as both chips use the same GMA 900 video controller according to Wikipedia, and this Intel document as described on pages 29 and 30.

http://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/30146705.pdf

For a bit more reading here is a different Toms Hardware thread that address your same problem. Although no solution was ultimately found the same advice I gave you was given to the OP.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/53522-3-widescreen-graphics-card-compatibility

I might suggest though that you spend your money on a complete system upgrade. Check out SlickDeals.net from time to time and you can find some good deals on refurbished, or open box items.

If you are set on buying a new card here is a link to a thread on SlickDeals that has an ATI 5450 for $35 after a $10 mail in rebate.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1873790

GL

Found a card, it'll work, problem solved. As for the Dell specs and white sheets, yeah, I've read them all already before coming here. And one thing that ties them altogether is the user forum comments saying how they're mostly B.S. - Dell makes many custom configurations depending on which model ships when, and what's in the "generic" spec sheet may or may not apply to any particular system. Many others with the 4700 w/910GL were in the same boat: 4:3 only. Others with the same model had different specs when reading thru the system info and driver file info - very slightly different, but allowing at least one or two widescreen formats. On what was listed as the "same" chipset. Silly Dell. And no, driver updates don't solve. There's one driver for MY 910GL, and a DIFFERENT driver for a very slightly different 910GL. Totally bogus, but whatever. As stated, THANKS for all the good info, my problem is solved cheaply. Totally off-topic, this is one more reason I hate dipping my foot into the Windows world. I have to for a few things now and then, but my needs are light - I never require a great system for the handful of Windows-only things I need to do. But something as simple as plugging in a monitor...wow. And Windows people take this all B.S. as NORMAL, like it's just what you have to do. Incredible. So much time wasted. I have a freakin' ancient Mac in a box on the shelf of my closet. I pulled it out and plugged it in, started right up. Plugged in the new monitor I want to use with the 4 year old Dell. Bingo. The new display popped on with the right resolution, nothing to do or install. A 9 year old nvidia card in a 9 year old Mac, no problem. I'm just sayin...
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Dell Graphics