Gaming Build Help (complete now)

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Hello all,

I am new to this community and am putting together a gaming build, and need a little bit of help.
My utmost concern is having a modular system with room to upgrade over the next year to year and a half. I'm trying to keep my budget between 600 - 700$

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This Month

BUDGET RANGE: 600 - 700 Before or After, doesn't matter

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: MODULAR easy upgrades!, Gaming, Inet

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, speakers, monitor, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, etc

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: usa

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD, Budget

OVERCLOCKING: Nope

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Xfire probably? Unsure

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Doesn't matter

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: MOBO is the real key here I think, IDK. As I stated, having a modular system is of the utmost importance.

Here is what I have so far:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 530 2.8ghz 45nm AM3 2MB cache

CPU Fan: AMD black edition copper heat pipe, extra quiet

MOBO: ??? Here is where I really need help. I want to have something that I can easily upgrade without going too far over my budget. I was thinking of:

ASUS m4A785TD-V, AMD 785G, Xfire, Onboard Vid, HDMI, GB, Lan, IEEE
Am I spending money needlessly here? What should I do?

RAM: 2GB PC 8500 DDR3, 1066 Dual Chan (will upgrade later)

GPU: Radeon 4350 1gb PCIE. Will defiinitely upgrade ASAP. Can I save some $ here given that I will upgrade anyway. Currently I only play Day of Defeat Source (Competitively), but the game is about to die. I am only getting 20 or so FPS on texture maps, and I really need more (I'm on an OLD Pent IV with an OLD video card)

Hardrive: I just need something cheap for the time being to support my DODs, I will upgrade later. What is my cheapest route?

Optical drive: Cheapest I can find, will upgrade later. Suggestions?

Cases: Cooler Master Elite 310, black. Would prefer a cube case though. I don't mind spending $$ on an easily accessible case, etc since upgrades are a main concern.

Fan: Dual case fans 15 dollar range.

Power Supply: Given that I am going to upgrade, what should I go with here?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!!!

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
TY kind sir, how far can I take this MoBo? Also, I was interested in a cube case.
What would be the cons of say this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133044&cm_re=cube_case-_-11-133-044-_-Product

Would there be advantages of having a different powersupply?

And also, what would be the disadvantages of using this motherboard instead:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138181
I'm guessing I should go with what you suggested if I want to be able to upgrade?

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Thanks once again! In the interest of having a modular system, it appears that maybe it would be better to stay away from the cube and follow the build that you suggested. Knowing that a modular system is my 1st priority, is what you suggested the way to go?

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010

In the case that you wany buy the case and the PSU individually, these are very good options.

1- Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion

2- PSU: Antec 650W