Using Both a SSD and HDD

Foonios

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Hello, I recently built a new computer with the help of a friend. When installing Windows 7 for the first time, I selected my Crucial SSD 64gb. During this installation, I had the option of choosing the HDD as well as it was also connected. I am now running Windows 7 without any problems, however, I cannot install programs to my HDD (labeled new volume E). I was wondering what the solution to this is. I'm sorry this is a complete noob question. Thanks!

okTC68

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012

Did you get sorted? I`ve a similar problem, my OS (7, 64bit) is on 2 raided SSD`s and I also have an HDD new volume E: which I want to use as my default location for movies, games etc. Any help much appreciated. okTC68

I am with rolli59 on this, if you have the drive from an older system you will need to take ownership

This can be done from

(My) Computer
Right click the drive and select Properties
Security
Advanced
Owner tab
Edit
Make your self your your group owner. Check the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects.

"Cannot install programs to my HDD" can have several meanings.
If you specify the HDD as the installation location, see rolli59.

If, on the other hand, it is simply installing everything to the SSD, the answer is different. If that's the case, reply to this and I will expound.

-------------------------

If you installed Win7 with the HDD attached, the odds are that your system is booting from the HDD and will not boot without it attached. The lowest-level parts of the boot sequence may have been written to the HDD. Some people like this, since if the SSD gets corrupted the recovery partition on the HDD can be booted. I personally consider it a pain in the butt. The machine should boot from my OS drive. If I remove all the other drives, it will still boot.

If you care at all about what I wrote above (I will not be offended if you don't), check the partitions on the drives in Disk Manager and see which one has a tiny little 100MB partition hidden at the beginning.

okTC68

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012

The 100mb partition is on the SSd`s. My pc boots with the HDD disconnected. The OS is on the 2 "Raided" SSD`s. I want my pc to run as follows; The SSD`s reserved for the OS and a few programs, everything else (games, movies, & music) on the HDD. To be able to launch games from desktop icons. I`d describe my pc skills as very limited, this being my first system, please keep it as simple as possible!!! Thanks for your time.

Foonios, are you still there?

okTC68, here is a decent starting guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-performance-tweak,2911.html
You can also browse through the stickied article at the top of the forum.
My Documents and My Everything Else can be moved to a pre-created directory on the HDD by right-clicking and opening Properties.

--

Now, despite your wonderfully relevant avatar, can we give foonios his/her thread back? ;)