HD5850 install killed my sound?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 18, 2010 9:55:24 PM

Specs

HP Media center pc m7684n Win xp sp2
core 2 dou 2.13x2
3.5 gb ram
(Had a nvidia 8600)

When i was put it in the PCI slot i moved a few things around. originally my comp came with a few extra things in the PCI slots. I took ethernet card out and put the 5850 in that place. It takes up 2 spots if im not mistaken. I instlaled the driver on the cd restarted and the sound didnt work it doesnt work for anything. any ideas?

other things. When i first plugged it in there was a constant beeping just went beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep and didnt stop until i turned it off. I think thats a power issue but i got it to stop but i dont hear the fan. I read it was suposed to be loud but its not.

any input would be great.
February 18, 2010 10:57:21 PM

It usually means a card didn't get seated correctly. Pull out at all the cards, and reinstall them.

BTW, the fan will get loud when you use the 3d part of the card, not at the desktop. Run some games or a benchmark.
m
l
February 18, 2010 11:12:17 PM

OMG did you upgrade your PSU?!!!!! If not that could be the problem!!also there are two PCI-E connectors on the back of the 5850. You need to plug those in, into a decent PSU anyway if you don't want to kill that computer!!
m
l
Related resources
February 18, 2010 11:16:46 PM

what do you mean upgrade my PSU? what do i gotta do. are you talking about the 2 6 pin connectors on the back? yea they are all plugged in. does it matter where to plug it in? which wires to use persay.
m
l
February 18, 2010 11:18:37 PM

if you mean power supply unit than yess i did a couple months back. whats the minimum wattage req for this card?
m
l
February 18, 2010 11:19:50 PM

festerovic said:
It usually means a card didn't get seated correctly. Pull out at all the cards, and reinstall them.

BTW, the fan will get loud when you use the 3d part of the card, not at the desktop. Run some games or a benchmark.

i can run games but no sound. and thats kinda a key thing in games. reseating it didnt do anything...
m
l
February 19, 2010 10:56:31 AM

what cable are you using HDMI or DVI ? If you are using HDMI try using DVI
m
l
February 19, 2010 11:02:34 AM

1. Sound: Go to Control Panel / Sound. Put the normal sound card as default not the ATI.
2. Fan: Open Catalyst Control Panel. Go to Overdrive. Enable it. Move fan speed slider if your temp are too high (80C full load).
m
l
February 20, 2010 12:19:49 AM

ben10_85 said:
what cable are you using HDMI or DVI ? If you are using HDMI try using DVI

ben10_85 said:
1. Sound: Go to Control Panel / Sound. Put the normal sound card as default not the ATI.
2. Fan: Open Catalyst Control Panel. Go to Overdrive. Enable it. Move fan speed slider if your temp are too high (80C full load).

ok now before i do this. do i need a different power supply? i have a 400 watt is what it looks like.... i think. i was readin and the min req is 500 watts? is that true? if so than ineed a new PSU. or will it work with the 400w.... ?

I am using DVI cable. 2 ofem for dual monitors. one res is 1680x1050 and 1nd is 1280x1024
m
l
!