X4 955 BE Oc help

adithya666

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Hi guys, I recently overclocked my cpu to 3.6Ghz, set the Vcore to 1.392v, HT Link to 2200 Mhz, Nb Frequency to 2200 Mhz, NB VID to 1.1v(Amd Overdrive, no option in bios) and the ram to recommended settings and incread the voltage to1.545v. Ran a prime95 test for 1hr and core temps reached a maximum of 53 C. This is my first overclock, so please let me know if I need to make any changes, run tests on other softwares and if any screenshots are required. Thanks :)

My specs:
Motherboard: ASUS M4A88T-M
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2Ghz
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Thermal Paste: Cooler Master IceFusion
Graphics Card: Radeon 6850 stock
RAM: 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz
Power Supply: Seasonic S12 II Bronze 520W

Solution
Your Tras should be 24 normally and the tRC I think 30, command rate 2T
did you have to adjust those manually or did the system do it?
Everything else seems in order, I'd normally say try to reduce the voltage as much as you possibly can but Cpu-z is showing you at 1.376v which is more than acceptable :)
relax, enjoy it for now and push later one you feel more comfortable, read lots in the meantime
Moto
Thats a nice moderate clock on a 955, I know you can probably get higher but your temps are at the top limit,
stay with it for a few days and any instability should show, but I would make your adjustments in bios, not using overdrivel,
good result on your first go though,
Welcome to the club :)
Moto

Run Prime 95 for at least 2-3 hours for definite stability, Intel Burn test will push the temps even higher if you want to check your true max but even prime will push it higher than any normal use. You can most likely get around 4GHz if you use 1.45V on the CPU which is still very safe (mine has been at 1.5V for nearly 3 years) as long as the CPU doesn't go over 60C.

adithya666

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Thanks ,was kind of nervous about the oc :D .I dont like overdrive either, gave me a lot of probs, but certain options arent available in the bios. Will be testing it with prime95,will post results and queries if any asap. Thanks again for replying, cheers :)

adithya666

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Im not entirely sure if i want to go all the way to 4Ghz since im still a newbie, maybe later on, and as for cpu temps, played The Amazing Spiderman nearly at max settings for abt 2-3hrs, max temp was 47 C. I will test it prime95 as you mentioned.
Thanks ^

**but certain options arent available in the bios**
Ah, understandable then :)
My chip (975) is currently sucking almost 1.6V for 4.6GHz but I'm on serious cooling so headroom is there but as I said earlier, get it settled for a few days and once you are satisfied its 100% stable, save the profile and if you choose, push onwards, at least you can always go back to the setting you know works
Moto

adithya666

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Ran a prime95 torture test for nearly 10hrs, no warnings or errors. It seems that prime95 does not take 3d gaming into consideration during the test, is it true?

I rarely use prime personally, I use Intelburntest for 100% stressing, and my way of decideing if my rigs stable is running several antivirus scans at once whilst playing Wow or Crysis,
If your rig can do that without crashing then its stable enough imo,
Try unigines heaven for a gpu/gaming test though,
I'd say you are good though with ten hours of prime behind you :)
Moto

Your cooler :)
No seriously, you are getting close to limits and I wouldn't push further on that one,
But same as you have to reach this clock, test out multiplier setting, adjust volts when needed and watch the temperatures :)
And remember, on air and most W/c, voltage limits should be observed, 1.55v for Deneb chips
Moto

adithya666

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Lol ok, I will stay with 3.6 Ghz, and can you check if this is right :D
2ex0934.jpg

Your Tras should be 24 normally and the tRC I think 30, command rate 2T
did you have to adjust those manually or did the system do it?
Everything else seems in order, I'd normally say try to reduce the voltage as much as you possibly can but Cpu-z is showing you at 1.376v which is more than acceptable :)
relax, enjoy it for now and push later one you feel more comfortable, read lots in the meantime
Moto

Solution

adithya666

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Those were settings recommended by the manufacturer, checked it in their forums as well, command rate option isn't available in bios but the mods said it shouldn't be a problem :)
Btw in the IntelBurnTest, the timings and gflops aren't consistent, is it normal? I'm also worried about the cpu/nb voltage and nb voltage since im unable to set them in the bios, Overdrive keeps reverting nb vid to default :(

adithya666

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
I ran a IBT, OCCT:Linpack and prime95 blend test. The occt detected an error, while my pc restarted when I ran the ibt and blend test. In the ibt, when I set the ram usage low it was fine, but gave errors/crash above 1024mb. HCI memtest and memtest86+ dint not show any errors. What do I do? :(

adithya666

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Vcore 1.38v, CPu-Nb voltage 1.2v, Nb vid 1.15v. Ram is 2x2gb 9-9-9-24-40 1T @ 1.65 Nb freq 2400Mhz Ht freq 2000Mhz. Gonna reset ram and cpu settings to default and try by just ocing the cpu and leave ram settings at default for now.

TRENDING THREADS