Many Questions to do with overclocking

PCN00B

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Hi, recently i have been enjoying a game called Planetside 2 however my frame rates during high population battles are in the 20s I'm not saying this is unplayable but i would prefer a constant 30fps+ or preferably 60. I have heard that Planetside 2 is very CPU intense i checked and this was my bottle neck. I have heard that Planetside 2 benefits from a higher clock speed, my friend has his Intel i5 CPU Oced to 4.5GHz and never dips below 60 fps. So here is my question

1) For overclocking which is overall most effective and easiest to install water or air, i don't want to be fiddling around with something for ages or with water cooling one mistake and everything goes kaput I've heard of self contained water cooling systems and thought they were a good idea. Basically for the purpose of an OC noon which cooler is easiest to fit and setup water or air.

2) Which cooler should I go for. Ideally i'd like it to be under £60 but i could push it to £80 if i had to.

3) How should i go about overclocking I've never done it before if you could tell me how or show me a good beginners tutorial that would be great.

PS. How should i apply the thermal paste any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading My specs are as follows.

CPU- AMD FX6100
GPU- AMD RADEON HD 6870
MOBO- ASUS M5A99X EVO
RAM- CORSAIR VENGEANCE 2x8GB
PSU-CORSAIR ENTHUSIAST 750W
HDD-WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLACK

You want high end air at that budget level, you aren't even close to water,
I would check out the coolermaster Hyper212 range, they start at around £15-£18 so cheap enough and they are good coolers
The black edition overclocking guide at the top of the section will help you get started with overclocking but google is also your friend, try 'Overclock Fx6100' as a search term and spend a good few days reading before you try to move anything :)
That will give the cooler time to arrive from Egay and then you can start playing.
Moto

PCN00B

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012

With that Hyper 212 how high do you reckon i could OC my CPU to 4.5GHZ?

That depends largely on your chips ability to overclock, some chip will not budge from stock settings, some will overclock really well, its a natural variance that no-one can guess,
but Fx's can see 4.5GHz quite often, as I suggested earlier, read up on what others have managed with theirs and it will give you a good base to work from,
theres no quick fix here, you are tweaking an individual chip and what one guys gets results with may not be what your chip wants
Moto

No problem man, we can help you but a lot is dependant on you learning,
we can help and advise but you are the one sat there and after a time will be the best equipped to advise yourself,
sounds funny now but in a few months you'll know what I mean,
keep posting though, we will help where we can :)
Moto