Replacing damge harddrive with new-problem

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Boot
  • Windows Vista
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
March 15, 2012 11:17:04 PM

Just bought a Seagate - Barracuda 1TB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive to replace a broken harddrive that came from computer.

I only have the recovery disks for vista and a Upgrade disk for windows 7. When i use the recovery disk for vista it cant find the drives, Im lost to what to do next.

The old drive was getting errors like, Insert boot media and select proper boot order. The boot order is correct inside the bios. Im not sure if it is actually a motherboard problem or has the hardrive failed?

More about : replacing damge harddrive problem

March 17, 2012 12:19:47 AM

Ubrales said:
The recovery is on a separate partition on the hard disk.

You need to clone the old hard drive on to the new Seagate 1 TB and then proceed.

More info here: http://www.apricorn.com/products/notebook-hard-drive-up...

Is there anyway I can reuse my product key from my old hardrive... and reinstall windows 7 to a new one. I just need to get my hands on a new windows 7 installation disk.. Anywhere I can get it without paying 200$ since i already have a product key...
m
l
a c 124 G Storage
March 19, 2012 12:10:28 PM

silverbrit said:
Is there anyway I can reuse my product key from my old hardrive... and reinstall windows 7 to a new one. I just need to get my hands on a new windows 7 installation disk.. Anywhere I can get it without paying 200$ since i already have a product key...

That in effect would be "transferring" Windows 7 from one computer to another, and will not work.

OS pre-loaded by manufacturers like HP, Dell, etc. are "dedicated" to that particular computer and cannot be transferred.
m
l
!