raymundo9911

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
OK I'm going to ask one of the most repeated question in the computer CPU forum but i still am not sure...
what i am talking about is whether which CPU is better (Intel VS AMD)

I would like an answer that explain the balance between Performance and Price. (I'm many trying to compare the quad core models of the brands)

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Intel - better all round performance but at a higher cost.

AMD - still good performance but can't match high-end Intel chips, although they provide much better value for money.

It all depends on your needs and how much you are willing to spend.

AMW1011

Distinguished
The best bang for you buck processor is the Phenom II X4 series, at least for gaming. For apps the Phenom II X6 1055T is quite excellent. If you want SLI and you don't want to deal with the absolutely horrible nVidia chipstets, then the i5 750 is a great processor.

Every decent quadcore out today is extremely fast, it really just comes down to features and price.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Gaming:

Phenom II 955 and i5-750.

The Phenom II X4 is better price/value if you spend $400 or less on a GPU, and i5 for more expensive/better GPU setups.

Encoding/CPU intensive work:

1-4 cores single/multi-threaded i7-9xx/8xx

6+ cores multi-threaded 10xxT Phenom II x6

pale paladin

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
There seems to be a baseline you need to achieve for gaming these days. I would say it's a triple core @ 3ghz. The same could be said about a GPU. I would guess a 5750 or GTS250 would be the lowest I would purchase to ensure a good gaming experience @1650x1080. If you want eye candy turned on Phenom x4 3GHZ+ or any of the i5/i7 quads will increase frame rates depending on the multicore efficiency a game might be coded for. Furthermore stepping up to a new Fermi GPU or 5850+ will allow for a great gaming experience @ 1920x1080+ resolutions.

another thing to think about is purpose for the machine. If i had a box that I dedicated to ripping/encoding i would choose intel i5/i7. If it was general purpose apps/gaming/entertainment I would choose Phenom ii x4 or x6. <-- saving money for the best GPU i could afford.

xaira

Distinguished
the question is what is your budget and what do you expect the pc to do, amd vs intel with no grounds is pointless, but for me, its amd all the way unless i get a steal of a deal on an intel

randomizer

Champion
You will not get your answer if you just ask a generic question like that. What you will get is fazers, chad, jenny, andy, jimmy and a few others arguing with each other over something vaguely relevant at best and entirely irrelevant at worst. There is no such balance because it is subjective. If you have money to burn then the balance will favour expensive chips, but if you are on a budget then you'll immediately ignore "premium" chips. Then you need to take into account usage, including specific applications. But those sorts of things are not the same as asking a generic question like you did.

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
raymundo9911
OK I'm going to ask one of the most repeated question in the computer CPU forum but i still am not sure...
what i am talking about is whether which CPU is better (Intel VS AMD)

I would like an answer that explain the balance between Performance and Price. (I'm many trying to compare the quad core models of the brands)

Do you plan on getting a new pc or just trying to cause a riot on Toms?

loneninja

Distinguished
Answer to best balance between Performance and Price cannot be given between Intel/AMd, it needs to be done between specific processors. Way to vague of a question, and than even at many price points which processor is better will depend on what you do.

:lol: so true....and yet its really hard to imagine for those of us who follow this stuff, but he just might be that clueless. Some people really have no idea how heated this topic can get.

I'm surprised none have posted so far, probably to avoid each other. :lol:
The majority of the time though, they do manage to post something relevant for the first page or two, which then kinda dwindles. On rare occasions they seem to recover and either just stop posting or get on back with regards to relevance...

As for OP:

The AMD Athlon II X4 630, Phenom II X4 955, Phenom II X6 1055T and Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz are the best price performance quad core CPUs right now. It really depends what you plan to do and your budget. AMD's pretty much got the lower end covered, and Intel the higher end.

raymundo9911

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
it funny how you guys turn a simple question into some sort of dilemma. And yes, i am planing on building a new PC but knowing how serious the upper ranks can get, i might as well not ask anything :sweat: