Computer upgrade help, please!

pramodh

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Hello,

This is my first thread on this forum. I wanted help on the upgrade I want to make with my CPU components. Here are the details of the current specs I have:

Intel P4 Processor
Intel D91 5GAV Motherboard
256 MB RAM
80 GB HDD
No graphics card

I have a budget of around 250 - 300 USD and odd. So, I need a good configuration within this budget, which can compete with the current day technology.

P.S. I also heard about Intel Atom processor. Is it a good buy?

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=3343

Check the above link. I want a new graphics card in addition too... with the upgrade of other components.

Please give me the list of upgrades I can make along with prices.

Thanks in advance!!

Solution
The Intel Atom series are used primarily in net-books etc. where low power-consumption and efficiency are the main goal. Personally, I don't really see much reason for using one in a desktop system. The majority of modern-day processors are efficient enough and the trend is that power consumption is decreasing so you would be better off with a 'traditional' desktop CPU.

If you're talking budget then AMD is probably the route for you. An Athlon II X3 or X4 are very affordable and should handle anything you throw at them. Obviously you'll need a new motherboard and also new memory.

Depending on what software you use for video-editing you would have to check out the recommended specs with regards to your graphics card.

You're budget...

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
What do you intend to do with your system? Are you planning on gaming or just web-browsing & productibity etc.?

To be honest, you're probably looking at a completely new system since your current one is pretty old and doesn't have too many upgrade paths available. You'll be hard-pushed to do that with your budget though unfortunately.

pramodh

Distinguished
May 8, 2010

Actually, I am not a gamer and I don't use my PC for gaming. I do blogging and I need a good stable computer that is fast and productive in simple tasks like photo editing and video editing.

Well, I could try to push my budget a little further if I can get a good upgrade.

And what is your view on the atom processor I mentioned above?

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
The Intel Atom series are used primarily in net-books etc. where low power-consumption and efficiency are the main goal. Personally, I don't really see much reason for using one in a desktop system. The majority of modern-day processors are efficient enough and the trend is that power consumption is decreasing so you would be better off with a 'traditional' desktop CPU.

If you're talking budget then AMD is probably the route for you. An Athlon II X3 or X4 are very affordable and should handle anything you throw at them. Obviously you'll need a new motherboard and also new memory.

Depending on what software you use for video-editing you would have to check out the recommended specs with regards to your graphics card.

You're budget may have to stretch a bit but I'd say you can put together a fairly solid system for your needs at a reasonably low budget. Hope this helps!

Solution
I guess you can still do ok with that budget althought there are a little complications.. You can get a biostar 790 GX motherboard, 4 gigs of DDR2 800 MHz C5 Corsair RAM, an Athlon II X4 630 and a seagate 7200.12 SATA II hard disk all in your current budget mostly.. You'll be loosing on a discrete graphics card but the on board is good enough for your current priorities and some light gaming also.. You can drop a little on the mobo by going the 785g route but keep the first preference for the 790gx.. Anyway they both feature pci-e x16 slots so you can hook up a card later.. You may go the intel lga 775 route also but You'll have to get a cheap discrete graphics card for that as the intel on board (if available) is crap.. Keep in mind that for any of those setups, you'd need to get a new PSU..

pramodh

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
@Emperus

The configurations you suggested are great! But, I am a little hesitant about that Biostar motherboard. I haven't heard its name much. Is it a good one?

And what about the processor? Is that inbuilt? If so, which one? How many cores are there?

I can think about the graphics card later if my budget does not allow me to do now. It's not a top priority for me. Even HDD would not be a big deal as it is very cheap..

So, I want a good and nice motherboard with processor.
Even if hard disk costs around 100$, I can still have a good motherboard and processor. And I wouldn't mind spending some more money on a 4GB RAM.

So, suggest a good motherboard with good processor (Multiple Core). I have heard that multiple core processors help a lot in increasing the overall performance. I think the leaders in the motherboards are Intel and AMD..

So, any suggestions from that company would be appreciated.

Actually i recently helped a friend put together a similar build with that same motherboard i mentioned.. I too was a little hesitant at that moment but it was the best choice available.. 6 months down the line, there have been no hickups and he is extremely happy with his build.. You may go for gigabyte which is surely better quality but at a higher price.. The processor i mentioned is a 4 core processor and its an excellent budget performer.. Higher cores surely bring in more performance depending on the app.. Good luck with your choices.. Don't forget that You'll definitely need a new power supply..